THE BROWNS BOARD

Seneca Wallace Released

CLEVELandMILIDH

Browns part with Seneca Wallace

Posted by Evan Silva on August 31, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

The move clears $2.4 million in salary. Despite some hard feelings on the part of incumbent quarterback Colt McCoy after the Browns drafted Brandon Weeden in the first round, McCoy appears to have been kept over Wallace as Weeden’s primary backup.

McCoy is owed minimum base salaries and cheaper than Wallace. The Browns also look to be keeping Thaddeus Lewis as a third-string quarterback.

No quarterback depth chart in the league is as cost effective as the Browns’.

They will hope the on-field product is effective, as well.

No quarterback depth chart in the league is as cost effective as the Browns’.

That statement is why the Browns never win. ALL the good teams have high priced QB's

Seneca Wallace declared last year that he did not want to be a backup QB. He got his wish. He is now an unemployed QB.

Perhaps there is an opening in the UFL.

Edit: I checked, there are. I see no listing for a QB for eh Virginia Destroyers. Marty Schottenheimer HC.

Other QBs in that league: Brian Brohm, Chase Clement, Eric Crouch, Jeremiah Masoli, Troy Smith. Seneca could play there.

I think the Browns are sold on Thad Lewis as a keeper back-up.

IMO this was more about Lewis bumping Wallace than McCoy, that isn't saying McCoy is better than Wallace.

It's about Lewis having a bright upside long after Wallace and McCoy are out of the league.

They won't say it at this point, still hoping for a trade, but Lewis is viewed as the back-up QB of the Browns.

Lewis does fit nicely as a long-term backup. Last night notwithstanding, he's been a very strong preseason performer. Through three years, he's completed over 70% of his passes at 8.66 yards per attempt.

He's a bit underappreciated by Browns fans because some of his best work came in a Rams uniform, but the Browns' decisionmakers have seen those solid performances, like this one last preseason:

Ultimately, I think there's a good chance Lewis settles in as the Browns' #2 QB, either in '13 or '14.

Seneca Wallace declared last year that he did not want to be a backup QB. He got his wish. He is now an unemployed QB.

Perhaps there is an opening in the UFL.

Edit: I checked, there are. I see no listing for a QB for eh Virginia Destroyers. Marty Schottenheimer HC.

Other QBs in that league: Brian Brohm, Chase Clement, Eric Crouch, Jeremiah Masoli, Troy Smith. Seneca could play there.

No no, Wallace can go play for the relaunched USFL Akron team next year. Maybe bring aboard Vince Young too!

I think the talent level is supposed to be above that of the UFL, making it more of a minor league to the NFL. Also not sure how much longer the UFL will actually be around. From what I hear they only have 4 teams this season.

No no, Wallace can go play for the relaunched USFL Akron team next year. Maybe bring aboard Vince Young too!

I think the talent level is supposed to be above that of the UFL, making it more of a minor league to the NFL. Also not sure how much longer the UFL will actually be around. From what I hear they only have 4 teams this season.

They have only had like 4 teams their entire existance. I think there does need to be a stable "minor league" where older veterans can go play ....and younger players who haven't quite made it. The main purpose of which would be to give these guys a place to display their wares in a true game and try to make it (or make it back) to the NFL.

Seneca Wall-ass sucks..Im glad hes gone...hes nothing but a selfish hot dog on the field who thinks hes better than he really is...I always thought he was a POS QB who always made stupid bone head descisions on the field...and apparently the FO realizes that too...good riddance!!!.

• 9 months later...

front runner huh? if he caught on and the Saints actually went all the way to the SB and won, i'd be genuinely happy for Seneca. what a dream that would be, right? 32 years old, get a ring...maybe even play a handful more years.

get paid without taking hits? front row view w a thousand perks? incredibly ideal for a small-ish yet capable scrambler in his 30s.

back-up qb aka spare tire = superb analogy

always overlooked and taken for granted, not having a competent backup to a franchise qb is akin to getting a flat w no spare, AAA, or cellphone ala (Colts/Manning) whereas having one allows a team to finish the season Champions (Cowboys/Kosar).

Archived