THE BROWNS BOARD

2012 Browns Season Is Hours Away!

Frenchie

Of course I will be shouting and screaming for the Browns to be victorious. And a victory would be a pleasant surprise. But it's not what I'm expecting. Rookies, injuries, and weaknesses aplenty, I expect the Browns will come up empty. These Eagles are loaded, finished last season strong and are out to prove that they are a playoff team. I expect a one sided game, with Eagle TD's and sacks and Browns turnovers, mistackles and dumb penalties (by the O-Line). In fact, I expect the Browns to lose the first 4 games before we see this team starting to play up to its young potential.

Scotty Bowmen (Coach of the Montreal Canadiens and Detroit Red Wings) used to say that he never paid attention to the score. He looked at face-off winning percentages, save percentages, shots on goal, penalties, odd man rushes, rebounds etc. to see how his team played vs. expectations. So what I want to see tomorrow is not the Dawg in the fight but the fight in the Dawg. If we hang in there and play some hard nose football while moving the chains, I'll be happy with an L.

I will geade success as follows:

Offence:

>80 yeards rushing

>75 QB rating

At least 4 pass completions over 15 yards (excluding YAC)

> 20 pts scored

< 4 QB sacks given up

< 3 turnovers

< 50 yards of offside and holding penalties

Defence:

< 120 yards rushing against

< 4 plays for over 30 yards (including YAC)

> 1 QB sack

At least 1 turnover

< 4 pass interference penalties

Specialty Teams

> 75% FG conversions

No points given up on Kick-off / punt returns

No kick-off returns by the eagles cross mid-field (unless it's an on-side style kick)

At least one Browns punt or kick return for more than 30 yards

So those are 16 metrics that I'll use to measure tomorrow's game. If they get 80% of them, I'll be happy with the result. Which metrics will you use? Put them down now and we can see if the Browns measure up.

The only Metrics I care about is the final score. It may not tell the whole story but it is the results that we care about.

We all want a win. But if we do lose, I think we need beyond the socreboard and be realistic.

Archived