THE BROWNS BOARD

The Good, The Bad And The Weeden

BaconHound

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the way the team battled on defense and that was definitely the Good. The bad has to be Joe Haden, he looked lost out there once again but he was alone. We can toss Greg Little in there as well. Fans could have told Holmgren for two years are receivers are a joke but what does he do? He drafts the ugly, better known as Brandon Weeden. I don't know how he looks the other guys in the eyes with the performance he laid out yesterday...QBR 5.1 pathetic

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the way the team battled on defense and that was definitely the Good. The bad has to be Joe Haden, he looked lost out there once again but he was alone. We can toss Greg Little in there as well. Fans could have told Holmgren for two years are receivers are a joke but what does he do? He drafts the ugly, better known as Brandon Weeden. I don't know how he looks the other guys in the eyes with the performance he laid out yesterday...QBR 5.1 pathetic

You crazy? Haden locked down DeSean Jackson all day.

He threw 4 picks and missed guys who were wide open, scary bad...

The West Coast offense is predicated on throwing balls to a place. If the QB and the WR aren't on the same page on hot reads or whatever, then the QB throws thinking the WR is going to go left, when the WR thinks he should go right. It isn't so much a bad route, as the WR and QB getting on the same page when the change the route once they get to the line of scrimmage and see the coverage.

Now I'm not saying this is an excuse for that egg of a game that Weeden played. But there are reasons other than just being bad that could have contributed to some of the seemingly poor throws.

One thing I kept wondering was... Why the hell is Benjamin running the go route against Cromartie, and the 1st Target is that route, when Gordon or Little should have been in that position to catch the jump ball. It wasn't that Weeden looked over the field and saw Benjamin breaking free and then threw a short pass. He has a gun. It was a 3 step drop and a planned play. So I put two of the interceptions on the play call, not on Weeden.

Haden turned the wrong way in man to man coverage on the Maclin TD and does a great job tackling after the 20 yard receptions...

First of all, he did what he was supposed to do against Maclin. The Safety or Nickle Corner was supposed to be helping him across the middle, and got sucked into the box by a well-schemed play.

Second, I don't care if his tackle comes at 20 yards down the field, if he wasn't the guy covering the receiver (and he wasn't).

But he came up big against the run a couple times, and basically shut down Desean Jackson for the majority of the game. He also had a good interception and return.

Saying Haden looked lost and sucked shows you don't know jack about football.

First of all, he did what he was supposed to do against Maclin. The Safety or Nickle Corner was supposed to be helping him across the middle, and got sucked into the box by a well-schemed play.

Second, I don't care if his tackle comes at 20 yards down the field, if he wasn't the guy covering the receiver (and he wasn't).

But he came up big against the run a couple times, and basically shut down Desean Jackson for the majority of the game. He also had a good interception and return.

Saying Haden looked lost and sucked shows you don't know jack about football.

He was man to man and he turned the wrong way. It wasn't as if he was three yards behind and needed help he left a guy wide open and covered no one.

Jackson was held to 77 yards which isn't bad but it was Haden who was on him for the 35 yarder.

He isn't an elite corner that the Kool-Aiders think he is...

He was man to man and he turned the wrong way. It wasn't as if he was three yards behind and needed help he left a guy wide open and covered no one.

Jackson was held to 77 yards which isn't bad but it was Haden who was on him for the 35 yarder.

He isn't an elite corner that the Kool-Aiders think he is...

He is considered a Top 5 CB...not by the Kool-Aiders, but by the NFL GMs etc.

The best get burned sometimes.

That guy got him then, but Haden shut him down the rest of the game.

No memory is what you want out of a CB. Joe didn't let that one failure keep him from putting the clamps down the rest of the time.

He is considered a Top 5 CB...not by the Kool-Aiders, but by the NFL GMs etc.

The best get burned sometimes.

That guy got him then, but Haden shut him down the rest of the game.

No memory is what you want out of a CB. Joe didn't let that one failure keep him from putting the clamps down the rest of the time.

He was the 3rd best on the field yesterday...

Probably not. Note the difference in opponent he had to face vs. Philly's pair of CBs.

Would you compare the Browns receiving corps at this point to Maclin and Jackson?

No, you are absolutely correct the Eagles receivers are much better.

I just think Haden is fast but not quick, he has a hard time keeping up with quick receivers.

We'll see, A J Green owned him last year and if he doesn't get suspended we'll see how he does next week.

No, you are absolutely correct the Eagles receivers are much better.

I just think Haden is fast but not quick, he has a hard time keeping up with quick receivers.

We'll see, A J Green owned him last year and if he doesn't get suspended we'll see how he does next week.

AJ Green didn't own him last year. AJ Green got that one catch in when the entire team was sitting with their heads up their asses. In a later game, Green may have gotten a couple of catches, maybe even a TD....but I bet JH got the better of the matchup most of the time.

And we don't even know if Haden was the one covering Green all the time.

AJ Green didn't own him last year. AJ Green got that one catch in when the entire team was sitting with their heads up their asses. In a later game, Green may have gotten a couple of catches, maybe even a TD....but I bet JH got the better of the matchup most of the time.

And we don't even know if Haden was the one covering Green all the time.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/browns_joe_haden_gets_burned_3_times_today_by_ajgreen_bengals_win/8357290

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cqWIy--Xo8

Yea, the one catch was against Sheldon Brown. And the other was that play where the defense wasn't ready.

Blame Haden....and the whole defense for not being ready....but not for being burned.

Yea, the one catch was against Sheldon Brown. And the other was that play where the defense wasn't ready.

Blame Haden....and the whole defense for not being ready....but not for being burned.

Penalty on Brown, catch against Haden, no call grab as AJ blew passed him and then not ready...

we've seen lots worse than Weeden. lots. it was a bad showing...hopefully a career low...best case scenario career defining!

...plus the Eagles had our playbook and our number. with offensive insight and a rookie at the helm his very first time i bet you anything Andy Reid if anything is embarrassed it came down to the wire.

next meeting, Shurms gets over the hump...apprentice throttles master...

Pat threw in some different wrinkles that actually had some success, gotta be a mind fuck trying to game plan for your MUCH older boss AND mentor (!). Pat can exhale now that he has one behind him and gets right back at it hard this week, setting the stage for what will later be 3 straight wins in a row. !!! :D

lets hope Weeden just needs more reps >> all this is totally new to him >> maybe some better protection from EVERYBODY (and a lane or two every once in a while would be kinda nice), some better vision which will only come with time AND HE NEEDS TO TAKE CARE OF THE EFFIN BALL BETTER.

with an average offense and a great D you can usually beat anybody. the best way a defense can disrupt an offense in today's NFL today is heavy pursuit and offensive D by way of a great pass rush >> the rest is basically blocking, guarding, and the happenstance of plain ol being in the right place at the right time. anyway decent pressure by ALL of the D Line yesterday. shows good potential and really gave Vick a handful.

Dquell had a career game, undoubtdly realizes as he looks around him in the locker room that he and Cribbs are the vets now that everybody leans on. no more Bowens or Big Baby. just them. probably tired of the pro bowl snubs and pec injuries too. its his time to shine, he has it all now.

great pressure and blitzing from an atypical Jauron defense. or is that the rub? did we just catch Philly sleeping?

game balls Phil Dawson and the special teams and D'quell.

honorable mention...Ahtyba Rubin! the guy never ceases to amaze me, changed his entire physique since he got drafted in CLE. total beast, now that's a fukn nose tackle with ambition. maybe my next jersey...he's been playing right at the line lately, always whistle to whistle, now with ferocity too. after that one strip he launched Vick up into the air forearm to facemask..another AFCN silent killer in the division.

also Robinson and LJ contributed much more than expected as well. they needed to fill veteran shoes and did just that.

the entire offense smoked cock. maybe Alex Mack can say he doesn't, but until i rewatch the game i can't guarantee I'll feel exactly the same way. if i don't watch it by next Sunday it will have proven to me to be unwatchable, thereby instantly making all my statements infallable in my own mind so for sake of not squandering some quality hallucinogenic lip stick lesbian cougar masterbatorium filming sessions will not be discussed furthur.

EDIT: hit submit accidentally...i realy hate posting on tablets.

Wow! Saying Haden played bad is downright laughable.

He was on the field for 36 minutes and was defending some of the best receivers in the game on almost all of 56 pass plays... FIFTY-SIX!!

Sorry... you're wrong, he is nowhere near the BAD from this game. I read this whole post, and you have not proven that point AT ALL!

The GOOD - Linebackers, D-Line, and Special Teams

The BAD - Wide receivers, other than MoMass, and O-Line, particularly the Guard play in run blocking.

The UGLY - Weeden's poor execution and Shurmur/Childress' playcalling. If I told you before the game that Philly would only score 17, we would pick Vick off 4 times, and return one for a pick-six, would anybody have believed me? Would you have imagined that we would lose the game?

Offense was terrible, defense was incredible - all around.

Gameball in the loss goes to... L.J. Fort OLB, not to take anything away from TJ Ward and DQ who also had great games.

Wow! Saying Haden played bad is downright laughable.

He was on the field for 36 minutes and was defending some of the best receivers in the game on almost all of 56 pass plays... FIFTY-SIX!!

Sorry... you're wrong, he is nowhere near the BAD from this game. I read this whole post, and you have not proven that point AT ALL!

The GOOD - Linebackers, D-Line, and Special Teams

The BAD - Wide receivers, other than MoMass, and O-Line, particularly the Guard play in run blocking.

The UGLY - Weeden's poor execution and Shurmur/Childress' playcalling. If I told you before the game that Philly would only score 17, we would pick Vick off 4 times, and return one for a pick-six, would anybody have believed me? Would you have imagined that we would lose the game?

Offense was terrible, defense was incredible - all around.

Gameball in the loss goes to... L.J. Fort OLB, not to take anything away from TJ Ward and DQ who also had great games.

"defense was incredible - all around."

Incredible, might be a stretch, defense gives up what over 450 yards, over 300 passing and 150 rushing, yea they were good because of all the turn-overs and only allowing 17 pts. Yea, Weeden and the O did SUCK (A "New" Browns tradition) for way too F'N long.

Incredible, might be a stretch, defense gives up what over 450 yards, over 300 passing and 150 rushing...

Ed Zachery... While the D was opportunistic against a clearly rusty Vick, giving up that kind of yardage makes "great" inappropriate, let alone "incredible."

Haden was fine. Controlled Jackson until he was swapped to Maclin and then did a decent job on him.

I, too, hope this was Wheeeedon's low point... but after one game it is both that and his high point as well.

As for giving him time... last year Colt dreamed of having the kind of protection Wheeeedon got Sunday.

Archived