THE BROWNS BOARD

My Take On Weeden's Performance Against The Eagles

hish747

Hey everyone,

I actually don't feel a sense of doom and gloom about Brandon Weeden based on the embarrassing numbers and 5.1 qb rating against the Eagles. I went back and watched the first half of the game again and it left me with a different perspective about what happened during the course of this game. In the first half Weeden was 7 of 20 for around 75 yards with 2 interceptions and no touchdowns. On the surface, that amounts to about a 7.3 QB rating and that's pretty bad.

However, if you look at what really SHOULD have happened, a different picture comes into view. Marecic, Benjamin, Richardson and Little each dropped passes that any NFL receiver or running back should catch. The most disastrous of those was of course Little's whiff that could have been a touch down but ended up being an interception. So Weeden's numbers could have easily been (and really should have been) 11 for 20 with around 120 yards passing, 1TD and 1Int. This equates to a modest QB rating of around 69. Not stellar but nothing for a rookie to be ashamed of in his first ever game against a potential super bowl contender. On top of that, keep in mind that all this happened with basically no running game whatsoever. Moving into the second half I think Weeden probably felt that he had to single handedly carry the team. This is a weight no rookie could be expected to bear. What we saw then as the game unfolded, I believe, is the disaster that flowed directly from a rookie thrust into that kind of a situation.

I don't say this to sugar coat anything that happened but rather just to offer some perspective and maybe coax some of us back from the ledge. Here's looking forward to better offensive game against the Bengals.

Go Dawgs

Hish747

Hey everyone,

I actually don't feel a sense of doom and gloom about Brandon Weeden based on the embarrassing numbers and 5.1 qb rating against the Eagles. I went back and watched the first half of the game again and it left me with a different perspective about what happened during the course of this game. In the first half Weeden was 7 of 20 for around 75 yards with 2 interceptions and no touchdowns. On the surface, that amounts to about a 7.3 QB rating and that's pretty bad.

However, if you look at what really SHOULD have happened, a different picture comes into view. Marecic, Benjamin, Richardson and Little each dropped passes that any NFL receiver or running back should catch. The most disastrous of those was of course Little's whiff that could have been a touch down but ended up being an interception. So Weeden's numbers could have easily been (and really should have been) 11 for 20 with around 120 yards passing, 1TD and 1Int. This equates to a modest QB rating of around 69. Not stellar but nothing for a rookie to be ashamed of in his first ever game against a potential super bowl contender. On top of that, keep in mind that all this happened with basically no running game whatsoever. Moving into the second half I think Weeden probably felt that he had to single handedly carry the team. This is a weight no rookie could be expected to bear. What we saw then as the game unfolded, I believe, is the disaster that flowed directly from a rookie thrust into that kind of a situation.

I don't say this to sugar coat anything that happened but rather just to offer some perspective and maybe coax some of us back from the ledge. Here's looking forward to better offensive game against the Bengals.

Go Dawgs

Hish747

well, unfortunately for you guys you kinda HAVE to thrust him into that situation when he's damn near 30. not like you can let him sit and learn for 5yrs like rogers or anything.

Hey everyone,

Go Dawgs

Hish747

Well let me be the first to say thank you for posting something well thought and positive other than WEEDEN SUCKS and all the other bs frothing from peoples mouths lately. Better to sit back and take a deep breath and wait to see what happens rather than packing it all in after one single game.

I for one pray that he "gets it" rather than not since the FO hung their careers on his shoulders. I'm sick to death of seeing this team blown up every two to three years knowing that they will never be anything worthwhile without consistency.

Archived