THE BROWNS BOARD

West out for a bit with a fractured wrist

DTBH

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3836866

This is going to be a real test. Not sure when Z comes back or if Ben will be back immediately, but they're getting thin. I believe they are about to hit a tough part of their schedule too.

Personally, I think West has had as much to do with the Cavs success this year as anyone. I think I said this before, but he's the second best player on the team for my money.

Pavlovic is shutting me up tonight....I've been one of his biggest haters but he's crushing the Hornets right now.

LeBron stepping up with 9 boards, 7 assists and 3 steals midway through the third.

and for the record....I love West but still see him as the 5th most important starter (at full strength). Hopefully he gets back soon though.

Guest ATENEARS

Man did you see West hit the floor? That was butt-ugly. He's lucky he didn't get knocked out, and/or lose some teeth.

Can't believe he'd be back in 3-weeks from a broken wrist. I've broken both of my wrist at different times, but both sliding in baseball.

The first break, I wore a cast for seven weeks, and when I got it off my wrist was too weak to do anything too strenuous without it giving out. It bothered me for years.

When I broke the other wrist more into my adult life, I cut the cast off myself after just three weeks and continued to coach baseball and perform activities such as golf, throwing, ect ... It later bothered me about a month later and I had to shut it down and rest and rehab it properly after my coaching season ended.

They aren't easy to over-come and kind of like a sprained or broken ankle.

This may be worst news than the Cavs are making it out to be.

Guest Masters

Remember Stan, it's not his shooting hand. It's his off wrist he broke (West shoots lefty). So the quick recovery time, as far as being able to use his right wrist/hand as a guide hand isn't all the suprising or unlikely.

I've heard rumors it could be up to 6 weeks. Pretty much forces Ferry to do something.

It's easy to forget West was basically a throw-in to that massive trade. He's been a great asset but like I said last night I think he's the least important and probably most replaceable of our starters.

I'd love to steal something like a Kyle Lowry/Hakim Warrick combo out of Memphis. I still don't like the idea of trading Wally for a starter, but if Ferry can get us a good 2 guard and another solid frontcourt player (and hopefully avoid contracts that go past 2010) I'll be happy.

Guest Masters

I think how CLE plays over the next few weeks w/o West, and when Z returns is going to dictate what, if any move CLE makes. If they keep playing like they did last night, Ferry may not make a move at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ATENEARS

I hope we don't rush West back before the All-Star break. Sitting him two more games will give him almsot 9 more days of rest ... why chance it.

I told you guys going into this that a broken wrist is nothing to screw around with in rushing. Returning for the Feb 18th game will be almost 5 weeks, which is almost perfect.

He got his cast off late last week ... which is fine. He's wearing a splint ... which is fine. He's testing it a little ... again fine. Whatever they do, I hope they don't screw everything up by not allowing it that final week to heal. 5-6 weeks is perfect recovery for that injury. 3-4 is ill advised, IMO.

Like I said, I've broken both wrists before. You can't allow it to sit too long and you can't rush it back too fast. Waiting until after the all-star break is almost idea, about perfect.

Limp through these next two games. Hopefully we can win at Indiana tonight and Home against the Suns tomorrow night ... then take a deserved week worth of rest.

Archived