THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl Warns Teams

Harry Buffalo

Apparently the NFL sent a notice to all 32 head coaches and team front offices that yelling at refs wouldn't be allowed anymore. I don't get it. Most of these refs are calling college rules or just plan not knowing what the hell they are doing and the NFL is telling teams to just deal with it. Refs for the Browns game last weekend probably let at least 7 minutes drain of the clock by not stopping it from incomplete passes and players running out of bounds. Maybe to protect the integrity of the game the NFL needs to focus less on the coaches conduct with refs and more with ending the ref lockout.

Man is this complete and utter bullshit or what?

Did anyone watch the fiasco that was the 1st qtr of this week's Monday Night game? Those refs should've thrown out 4 players and instead let the players and coaches argue and fight all over the field. It took 15 minutes for the refs to get the dust to settle. Embarrassing.

Now the NFL expects us to not call a kettle black lol, I love the game that the NFL funds and puts together..but what a bunch of dumbass blatantly ignorant fucks. Its their fault the refs are in this position.

The NFL is selfish to not pay them, but that being said, teams and players need to start showing these guys some respect. Seriously, the way some of the guys were acting would have gotten them ejected by the regulars.

The players and coaches are treating these guys exactly like the substitute teachers they are.... They don't get any respect because they haven't been out there long enough to deserve any respect from the players or coaches.

My hole thinking is that these replacement refs have no excuse. Even though they are used to reffing lesser college divisions and C list football leagues they should still know how to call simple penalties which they are not. On top of it they are getting paid GOOD MONEY. These guys left full time jobs cause they knew they would make what they do in a full year after a few weeks on the job. They have a chance to show case their knowledge and demeanor to the NFL for chances at full time jobs in a few years in some NFL refs retire and they are shitting down their pant legs. They needed to put in the hours during the preseason to get up to speed and they didn't and they are showing that they are not giving two shits now in the regular season. I find it hilarious that people are trying to give these guys a break when I don't think they could ref a high school game.

The players and coaches are treating these guys exactly like the substitute teachers they are.... They don't get any respect because they haven't been out there long enough to deserve any respect from the players or coaches.

I understand and respect your point....a good analogy.....but I had a professional sub.....Mrs. Thogmartin. That old bat didn't take any crap. By the end of the day, you were hoping your real teacher was back the next.

A wicked woman.

R.I.P. Mrs. Thogmartin....she had to be 60, 50-55 years ago.

I understand and respect your point....a good analogy.....but I had a professional sub.....Mrs. Thogmartin. That old bat didn't take any crap. By the end of the day, you were hoping your real teacher was back the next.

A wicked woman.

R.I.P. Mrs. Thogmartin....she had to be 60, 50-55 years ago.

I can't take credit for the analogy...Deion Sanders said it on the NFL network highlights show last Sunday night. You clearly though had the exception to the substitute teacher rule. Most are just there collecting a paycheck and get no respect from the students because the students know that this replacement teacher won't be there long term and that is exactly the way the players and coaches are treating the replacement refs. Add to it that they're doing a pretty crappy job and it's an ugly situation. Can't believe the NFL hasn't caved and just paid the guys to come back.

While it's the owners fault for locking out the refs the replacements didn't need to take the jobs. They did and they didn't prepare. I'm not going to give them a pass when they obviously haven't put in the work.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They didn't have time to prepare. The decision to go with replacements was probably made right before the first week of the preseason. You're telling me that if you're a high school or NCAA Div. III ref, you're not going to say yes if Roger Goodell asks if you want to ref football at the highest level? Please. And if you think a month is enough time to prepare for this, you're absolutely nuts. The refs were put into that position by Goodell and the owners and they're doing the best they can. Is it enough? No, absolutely not, but blame should fall on those in charge that are letting this situation happen.

I think you guys are being a little narrow-minded.

First, if the regular refs were in we'd be bitching and complaining just as much about calls. These guys are doing an admirable job, all things considering, and you have to remember it is not the refs fault for being in this situation.

Second, the coaches and players need to trust the calls a little more. Perfect example was in the Broncos game last Monday when John Fox threw two challenge flags in the first quarter... what happened? He lost both of them because the refs got it right on the field. It wasn't their fault that he wasted both challenge flags so quickly.

Third, the regular refs are locked out because their demands are WAYYYY too high. These guys get paid admirably for what they do. Asking for a few more million is okay with me, but asking for a pension when you are working PART-TIME / SEASONAL is just f***ing crazy to me. Look at their salaries... I think they need to just get back to work before they lose their jobs permanently.

Lastly, the flow of the game is slightly delayed and it is frustrating, which is a big negative. However, a positive I see is that they are allowing players to play. We have seen less tick-tack 15-yard penalties this year than in the past couple years. They are letting guys hit each other and allowing a little pushing and shoving between plays. I personally LOVE that part of what is going on. I think a 15 yard penalty for shoving a WR on the other team is just plain insane. The only time it got out of hand was last Monday when they should have thrown a flag.

Overall, there are positives and negatives, but guess what...? We all keep watching...

Lastly, the flow of the game is slightly delayed and it is frustrating, which is a big negative. However, a positive I see is that they are allowing players to play. We have seen less tick-tack 15-yard penalties this year than in the past couple years. They are letting guys hit each other and allowing a little pushing and shoving between plays. I personally LOVE that part of what is going on. I think a 15 yard penalty for shoving a WR on the other team is just plain insane. The only time it got out of hand was last Monday when they should have thrown a flag.

Overall, there are positives and negatives, but guess what...? We all keep watching...

The NFL is an inelastic product; the Apple of professional sports.

Anyways, I disagree with you about the pushing and shoving. It's not the refs allowing the players to play, it's the refs being to afraid to lose control of the game by throwing a flag for a personal foul. Seriously, I want to watch football, not a fight (though these scuffles have been more entertaining than what the WBO can offer *cough* Pacquiao/Bradley *cough*), and honestly I think there should have been some ejections on Monday Night. That shit, when it gets out of control, is detrimental to the game. However, I do believe that if these refs ejected a player on the home team, they'd lose control of the stadium.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They didn't have time to prepare. The decision to go with replacements was probably made right before the first week of the preseason. You're telling me that if you're a high school or NCAA Div. III ref, you're not going to say yes if Roger Goodell asks if you want to ref football at the highest level? Please. And if you think a month is enough time to prepare for this, you're absolutely nuts. The refs were put into that position by Goodell and the owners and they're doing the best they can. Is it enough? No, absolutely not, but blame should fall on those in charge that are letting this situation happen.

Do I expect them to make every call on rules they just learned 6 weeks ago? No. Hell regular refs are just getting used to calling helmet to helmet rules and things like that. Do I expect them to know simple things like stopping the clock at the right time and splitting up fights? YES! They should have been doing that stuff at what ever level they reffed and they are failing. As I said Goodell gave them a great opportunity to make extra money and show the NFL what they can do in case a future position becomes available but they are squandering their chance.

I've heard the big bone of contention is the NFL wants to go with full time Refs- and the Refs are resisting. Of course they will. Most of the "regulars" have jobs that allow them to get away for the weekend and do their other thing. Like lawyers and accountants. Who wouldn't fight to keep the status quo on a cushy part time job that pays travel, hotel reimbursements and with a salary in a lot of cases over $100,000? Hell, I'll quit my full-time job right now for a gig like that. :)

And shame on the NFL. Flacco said it was all about the integrity of the game. Goodell & crew should see by now using minor league officials in the big time is a bad idea, and the integrity of the game IS being compromised. What they pay officials is pissing in the ocean compared to the NFL's total revenue stream.

I've heard the big bone of contention is the NFL wants to go with full time Refs- and the Refs are resisting. Of course they will. Most of the "regulars" have jobs that allow them to get away for the weekend and do their other thing. Like lawyers and accountants. Who wouldn't fight to keep the status quo on a cushy part time job that pays travel, hotel reimbursements and with a salary in a lot of cases over $100,000? Hell, I'll quit my full-time job right now for a gig like that. :)

And shame on the NFL. Flacco said it was all about the integrity of the game. Goodell & crew should see by now using minor league officials in the big time is a bad idea, and the integrity of the game IS being compromised. What they pay officials is pissing in the ocean compared to the NFL's total revenue stream.

If the NFL is paying them 100,000 grand for working part time half the year then wouldn't you expect to get paid MUCH more if they tried to make you work full time all year?

Found this link to the 28 worst calls by the official last weekend. 5 or 6 where from the browns game http://deadspin.com/5944976/theyre-getting-worse-not-better-here-are-the-28-worst-replacement-official-mistakes-from-week-2

Cool vid... Some bonehead shit in there. Especially the clock stuff... Regardless of the level you came from, clock control is REF 101 stuff.

One play does not belong is#6, DQ's hit on the Bengals' WR... It was not helmet to helmet; it was facemask to chest plate. Additionally the WR was not defenseless (as in the ball was thrown over his head out of reach) the hit was instrumental is separating the WR from a ball he likely catches. It's called defense... and I love it...

Ditto the other similar "missed call" in the NYG/ TB game. The Safety's crossed arms hit the WR's shoulder pad...

Cool vid... Some bonehead shit in there. Especially the clock stuff... Regardless of the level you came from, clock control is REF 101 stuff.

One play does not belong is#6, DQ's hit on the Bengals' WR... It was not helmet to helmet; it was facemask to chest plate. Additionally the WR was not defenseless (as in the ball was thrown over his head out of reach) the hit was instrumental is separating the WR from a ball he likely catches. It's called defense... and I love it...

Ditto the other similar "missed call" in the NYG/ TB game. The Safety's crossed arms hit the WR's shoulder pad...

I agree they're taking the "defenseless wr" stuff too far. What? You're just supposed to let the guy catch the ball now?

Archived