THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday 9/24/2012

The Gipper

4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

Yes....54th Street Bridge song, NYC

5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

Original "elf" Browns pennant from the 60s

As Geoff Sindelar used to say "nice item" on the elf.

On the 54th street bridge, love that song, but question: I don't see where there is a 54th street bridge in NYC. Which Bridge is that?

I was wrong, it's the 59th St. Bridge

Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

Haslam & our young talent.

2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

Texans & Falcons may get there & the Cards are a question mark as they've come out of nowhere.

3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

FAO Schwartz toy store from "Big", but we went to the Boston store (scene was filmed in NYC). The movie WAS the reason we went.

The Bull & Finch Pub in Boston (Cheers).

4. Have you ever visited a location because of a song lyric or album. If so, where?

Not that I recall.

5. What is the most valuable antique or collectible you own? (been watching too much Pawn Stars or Pickers)

I don't collect, but I DO have a 1941 vintage restored split bamboo fly rod that's worth a few hundred bucks.

My wife has some valuable antique family heirlooms & stuff from her late father's drug store. They'll go to our kids & grandkids.

Mike

1. Despite the losses what is the silver lining that you see with this Browns team?

I am beginning to like our draft more.. not vs. what I thought we should have done, but in its own right.

TR is NFL calibre...

Weeden is progressing, albeit slowly...

Schwartz is picking up some game unexpectedly in the pass protection area...

Billy Wynn (a pick I applauded) is all I expected... a high motor, disruptive force in the middle.

Benjamin is developing nicely... ran a nice curl Sunday in addition to the out for a TD.

Hughes... not so much...

2. The Texans, Falcons, and Cardinals are the only undefeated teams remaining in the NFL after 3 games. Do you think these 3 are Contenders or Pretenders for the NFL Title?

The Texans are the real deal... so long as Schwaub remains upright, they are SB Bound...

3. Have you ever visited a location because you saw it in a movie...or TV show? If so, where?

Been to Giley's before Urban Cowboy was made... not sure if that counts.

Been to many of the Europe sites Rick Steves features in his PBS travel show...

Wow... I got nothin' here...

NIB MFSL Beatles Box Set in the factory sealed shipping box... goes for just under $3000 on ebay last I looked... Paid $239 for it in '81 or so at Finger's furniture in Houston, TX.

NIB AR XA turntable I bought on ebay 8 or so years ago... still sealed.... only one I've ever seen... it's still appreciating (I hope)

I have thought of several more movie/TV/song locations I have been to:

J. Tony Packo's. Toledo, Ohio. Sgt. Klinger...MASH...hangout. Good food.

I've been to Packo's many, many times as the wife is from Toledo. Sorry if I don't get the National notoriety. It's OK corner bar food, nothing more. If you're connoisseur of a smoked sausage on a bun topped with beef chilli sauce, cheese and onions- you may give it higher marks than I do. The lineup of autographed hot dog buns is mighty impressive though.

I'll put Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City in the same category.

And I forgot- been to Fargo, North Dakota. Not sure if the incredibly lousy movie Fargo was shot on location.

I've been to Packo's many, many times as the wife is from Toledo. Sorry if I don't get the National notoriety. It's OK corner bar food, nothing more. If you're connoisseur of a smoked sausage on a bun topped with beef chilli sauce, cheese and onions- you may give it higher marks than I do. The lineup of autographed hot dog buns is mighty impressive though.

I'll put Arthur Bryant's ribs in Kansas City in the same category.

And I forgot- been to Fargo, North Dakota. Not sure if the incredibly lousy movie Fargo was shot on location.

Well, the national notoriety of Tony Packo's is because Klinger talked about it. The food I had was good...but yes, it was just bar food. Comfort food.

Lot's of things that are well known are no better than things you don't know. There are probably thousands of Broadway actors that are better actors than Tom Cruise. But Cruise is famous and they aren't.

On Fargo, I loved that movie, and I have been there. But I was just passing through. I didn't go because of the movie. The place to go because of that movie would have been Brainerd MN, with its statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. But I never made it to Brainerd.

Yup... the movie actually ruined Gilley's. It became a "tourist" destination so many of the mainstays (of which I was not one) went elsewhere...

After it went bust it was rumored the Sherwood Cryer, the real owner (Mickey Gilley just lent his name to it), torched the place for the insurance... and now it's just the empty field.

And lovely as they are, no way the ladies you posted are Texans.... hair is not anywhere big enough...

Jimmy Haslem: He owns truck stops, sits in the Dawg Pound, and is named Jimmy. What's not to love?

Talent on Defense: They haven't reached their full potential because of injuries, and more importantly, suspensions. Imagine this D with Haden, Fujita, and Taylor in from the start... they will be a force once at full stregth.

TRich: Love the leadership we're seeing in him.

Texans and Falcons - yes. they have a solid QB. ARI's QBs are unproven.

I live in Chicago, so I've been to several entertainment landmarks. Too many to list. Favorites would be "The Dark Knight" filming locations, and some sights from "The Blue's Brothers" which was showed a beach on the lake I grew up near. I went to the pool hall used in "The Color of Money" when I was a kid.

I've always wanted to visit Abbey Road. Been to the Oasis in Austin (Garth Brooks), but because friends insisted the food there was amazing.

Not an antique guy, but I have some silver coins. I love seeing those pop up on those shows. Storage Wars is usually good for that now and again.

Archived