THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl Announces Agreement With Nfl Refs Association Reached

CrocodileDilemma

Man, people have such short term memories with the refs. Just because the unionized refs are signed with the NFL doesn't magically make the game better. The first call that doesn't go the Browns way you'll be screaming for their heads as well. I remember posts on this board that painted the refs as wearing the black and gold (mostly in reference to Super Bowl XL).

Further, I don't understand all the hoopla over the GB/SEA game either. GB is my second favorite team, but I don't really have a problem with the call the replacement refs made in that game. It's not the call I would've made, but you couldn't clearly determine possession until the reciever and CB hit the ground. On one hand you have the breaking the plain rule designates a touchdown and on the other you have maintaining control through the entire catch. There's no real universal designation of "time" for possession determination...it's a human judgement call. Then you have the need for overwhelming visual evidence to overturn the call on the field, and I really don't think that evidence, replayed ad naseaum was "overwhelming." (Of course SEA reciever clearly pushed off and should've been flagged for offensive pass interference but even the union refs hardly call that one).

GB lost the game 14-12. You can cry about how the refs had tainted the victory or you can say, GB, with the offense they have, failed to make the plays necessary to win the game. Score 3 or 7 more points and a bad touchdown call on the last play of a game is meaningless. Suck up the loss, use it to motivate you or whatever, then do whats necessary to win the other 13 games on your schedule. I get tired of all the crybaby's blaming the refs for their failure and/or team's failure.

Until technology is used to replace human observation, mistakes are going to be made. Some of those human mistakes you'll like, some you won't. As long as those mistakes aren't the result of gambling/outside interests I have no problems with them in the game. It doesn't matter if the human's making the calls are unionized or scabs, they are going to make mistakes.

Man, people have such short term memories with the refs. Just because the unionized refs are signed with the NFL doesn't magically make the game better. The first call that doesn't go the Browns way you'll be screaming for their heads as well. I remember posts on this board that painted the refs as wearing the black and gold (mostly in reference to Super Bowl XL).

Further, I don't understand all the hoopla over the GB/SEA game either. GB is my second favorite team, but I don't really have a problem with the call the replacement refs made in that game. It's not the call I would've made, but you couldn't clearly determine possession until the reciever and CB hit the ground. On one hand you have the breaking the plain rule designates a touchdown and on the other you have maintaining control through the entire catch. There's no real universal designation of "time" for possession determination...it's a human judgement call. Then you have the need for overwhelming visual evidence to overturn the call on the field, and I really don't think that evidence, replayed ad naseaum was "overwhelming." (Of course SEA reciever clearly pushed off and should've been flagged for offensive pass interference but even the union refs hardly call that one).

GB lost the game 14-12. You can cry about how the refs had tainted the victory or you can say, GB, with the offense they have, failed to make the plays necessary to win the game. Score 3 or 7 more points and a bad touchdown call on the last play of a game is meaningless. Suck up the loss, use it to motivate you or whatever, then do whats necessary to win the other 13 games on your schedule. I get tired of all the crybaby's blaming the refs for their failure and/or team's failure.

Until technology is used to replace human observation, mistakes are going to be made. Some of those human mistakes you'll like, some you won't. As long as those mistakes aren't the result of gambling/outside interests I have no problems with them in the game. It doesn't matter if the human's making the calls are unionized or scabs, they are going to make mistakes.

I think the biggest thing missed was the offensive pass interference call. Knocked the Packer right to the ground. I would have called an interception-but thats after three days of seeing the play dissected in high def. They should have conferred. It was just bad timing and the icing on the cake. At least the catalyst to get the pro's back on the field.

Yea, it is all a matter of whose ox is getting gored. I mean, they went to the instant replay rule in order to correct errors of the "professional" referees.

The thing that they were saying that the regular refs will bring is not perfection in all the calls made, but in control and management of the games.

Things will go smoother, and fewer players will try to pull shenanigans on the regular refs.

Yea, it is all a matter of whose ox is getting gored. I mean, they went to the instant replay rule in order to correct errors of the "professional" referees.

The thing that they were saying that the regular refs will bring is not perfection in all the calls made, but in control and management of the games.

Things will go smoother, and fewer players will try to pull shenanigans on the regular refs.

Agree completely:

Not knowing the rules

Taking forever to place the ball, determine rulings--sometimes blatant errors

no respect on field

This is an old interview (conducted by Pat Sajak no less), but can anyone say that the issues brought out 20-25 years ago are not also potentially issues today?

Does anyone really believe that there are not today connections between the fixers (mob or otherwise) and some NFL owners and possibly even refs?

Maybe it has been cleaned up a lot. (My theory is that one of the Reasons Modell was ejected from the NFL may have been because of his mob debts):

Archived