THE BROWNS BOARD

Toni Grossi For Head Coach 2013

Soju

Basically he is saying the Browns need to spread it out, put Weeden in the shotgun formation 75% and give up on the old 80's, two-back, two-tight end offense. I love it. Shurmur will never do it, but I like Grossi's thinking on this one:

"If I were coach of the Browns: I would scrap the two-back, two-tight end look of the offense at the beginning of games and line up three wide receivers and a tight end with Trent Richardson as the lone back.

As presently constituted, the Browns have only two assets on offense – Brandon Weeden’s arm and Richardson’s legs. I would do everything possible to accentuate both assets.

The plodding, 1980s-era fullback-tailback run game is not working here. It’s not only not working, it is deflating everybody. Richardson spends too much time running up the ankles of fullback Owen Marecic or guards Jason Pinkston and Shawn Lauvao. He needs room. They get in his way.

The Browns have to spread out defenses with their formation. The NFL likes to think it invents every new trend in the game. Sorry. The college game is far ahead on the offensive side. That’s why Bill Belichick visited Urban Meyer at Florida for so many years – to get a leg up on his NFL rivals.

The spread offense that has permeated the college ranks for years is now dominating the NFL game. All the dynamic NFL offensive teams are running variations of the college spread.

Weeden happens to be quite adept at operating the spread. It’s what he did at Oklahoma State. Unleash him.

The only time Weeden moves the ball is when the Browns are down by two scores and have no other recourse than to spread the field with receivers. Weeden is wired to operate under frantic circumstances. So dial it up that way from the start.

The Browns have tried to convert Weeden to a boring, 1980s, under-center, game manager. It is failing. They have no chance of winning that way.

Weeden should be in the shotgun formation at least 75 percent of the time. Richardson should be the only back in the backfield. He is the ideal one back because he can run with power or accelerate through the lanes inherent in a spread. He can stay in and block for Weeden or release and run a pass route. The spread will naturally put Richardson, as a pass receiver, in space. That is when he can turn five-yard catches into 20- or 40-yard gains."

Shurmur and Holmgrem will NEVER let go of their "system".

More than anything that may be the reason neither of them will be here next year. Haslam is, currently, primarily a college football fan, and he sees those spread offenses working in the SEC and elsewhere in the college game.....and he sees it being adapted to the pro game by several teams....49ers etc.

So, to me, if Holmgren and Shurmur can't adapt (and I don't think they CAN adapt), they will be gone.

That is why it wouldn't surprise me to see JH go after a Nick Saban. Yea, a college guy, but with an NFL pedigree.

I think the worst thing for the development of this team would be another new staff with a different system. The players deserve more of the blame for not executing than the coaches do for their schemes. The reality is this team is playing catch up to the rest of the NFL from a talent perspective. Do you think that our receivers or linebackers would start for Baltimore? This might not be the best comparison, but look at how good Lebron made Mike Brown look..

I agree Holmgen will NEVER give up his system. And that is why he and Schumer will fail here.

They want to run the so-called westcoast offense, but they don't have to personnel to do it. The QB is a shotgun, big armed, throw it deep, passer, and the wide receivers can't catch, or break a tackle after the catch. They don't have a decent pass catching TE, and they run a 2-back run straight ahead running game.

Why they put this team together this way is beyond me. The players they have don't fit their system, but yet they insist on running the system anyway.

Archived