THE BROWNS BOARD

What Just Happened?

philbert79

Even though I've had a night and most of this morning to think about it, I'm still trying to figure out what I was just witness to. Again, we saw a glimpse of something great, only to have it disappear as quickly as it arrived. While the Giants didn't panic when down 14-0 early, it seems that the Browns did panic; they were not sure how to handle the success.

Without a doubt in my mind, the play in the 2nd quarter on 3rd and 1 in the red zone absolutely changed the outcome of that game. Some bring up the Cribbs fumble, but my argument is he isn't on the field if Weeden doesn't throw the interception. It doesn't matter who's to blame for it (Shurmer for calling it or Weeden for over-throwing it), it was the difference in the game. As that ball was snapped, I said, out loud, "I don't like this..." Before I could piece it all together, the Giants were celebrating a 17-20 point swing, including the points off the Cribbs fumble. By half time, the game was over.

There was no way this team was going to overcome those 2 mistakes. The self-destruction continued into the 2nd half with bad penalties, key injuries, and lack of leadership. It's such a difficult thing to diagnose... Is it bad coaching or lack of talent. If Shurmer were coaching talented players, would it be different. If someone else was cosching these players, would the Browns be 4-1? We'll never know. But this is why we'll likely see a coaching change before we see all the players replaced... It's much easier.

I don't think Shurmur will be fired any time soon, at least not until Haslem brings in his own front office staff. I believe he will bring in outside help to evaluate his current staff. Unlike Holmgren, Haslem will not give them another year unless it is deserved. That being said, I don't see how a staff that has gone 4-17 and, more importantly, currently on an 11-game losing streak can expect to get another year to prove themselves. Remember, Mangini had won the final 4 games the year before Holmgren officially took over, though I didn't think Holmgren should have wasted that first year, it was at least justified.

Either way, we are in for a lot of what we saw yesterday; a team without direction, wondering through the battlefield of the NFL. They will win a couple of battles by the end of the year, but the war is already over.

As a fan of these beloved Browns, I will continue to watch the games, look for improvement of the core players on the team (Richardson, Weeden, Haden, Jackson, Taylor, Sheard, Ward), and wait with bated breath for Jimmy Haslem to turn this franchise into a winner.

Archived