THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Needs To Go

hish747

3 points I'd like to make in support of this position

1. An NFL Head coach should be ready to coach, and he's not. This shouldn't be a learning on the job type of situation. Unlike a rookie player, a coach needs to be able to go head to head with other coaches from day one. The place for NFL coaches to be developed is at a lower level (ex. college) or as an assistant coach but in any event not as the head coach. With his myriad poor decision making and game management, Shurmur has established that the game is too large for him still. He cannot out coach anyone in the league.

2. A Leader needs to take responsibility, and he doesn't. Poor decision making and game management is made much worse when your leader refusal to acknowledge his role in and take responsibility for failure. Shurmur prefers to cover poor decision making by throwing young developing players under the bus. In the process he is damaging the players who need confidence in their abilities in addition to the backing, mentorship and leadership of their coach. A leader must be accountable for the actions of those he commands. Imagine Patton blaming defeat on a soldier's inability to shoot? How about Steve Jobs blaming a failed product on a bad engineer?

3. Sometimes regime change is the only way to turn things around. There comes a point where the failings of management contribute to a lack of confidence so deep, that you cannot move forward and win with the present leadership. I think we are dangerously close to this, if not there already.

There are other points that can be made about this issue, but I think even with this, we have gotten to the point where change is for the better of our team.

Archived