THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Maturing By The Minute

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/10/rookie_receiver_josh_gordon_se.html#incart_river_sports

11693929-large.jpg

BEREA, Ohio — Browns rookie receiver Josh Gordon showed up for his postgame press conference Sunday in New York nattily dressed in a gray tweed vest, black bow tie and his favorite magenta oxfords.

It was almost as if he knew he might score his first two NFL touchdowns and have to hold court.

"When you look good, you feel good and when you feel good, you play good," said Gordon. "I'm trying to handle all of this in a business-like manner."

His coaches have taken notice.

"He's definitely dressing better," said offensive coordinator Brad Childress. "His sartorial splendor is something to watch when he gets on the plane now. I've seen it really evolve here in the last five weeks."

That's not all the coaches have seen evolve about Gordon. Since he arrived in late June, they have watched him go from a wide-eyed and overwhelmed rookie to a model citizen off the field and bona fide receiving threat on it.

Against the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, he hauled in the two TD passes -- a 62-yarder in the first quarter that made it 14-0, and a 20-yarder in the fourth that narrowed the gap to 41-27. It was the first time a Browns receiver had caught two TDs in a game since Braylon Edwards had a pair on Dec. 23, 2007, at Cincinnati.

"He had his best practice [last week] and it manifested itself on the field," said Childress. "Will we backstep? We might. That's part of being a rookie. [but] he's a smart guy, he's a great note taker and he's become a better practice player and game player."

Perhaps best of all, Gordon has lived up to his vow to not be a problem off the field. Picked in the second round of the supplemental draft, Gordon came in on red alert, having tested positive three times for marijuana in the previous two years, twice at Baylor and once at Utah.

He had been banished from both football programs and didn't know his next move. He considered playing at Houston, but wasn't sure how he would pay for it. Wasn't sure how he would pay for anything, really. Then he plunged into the supplemental draft and his life changed on a dime.

"Total 180," he said. "It's been crazy."

He signed a four-year deal worth $5.3 million, including $3.8 million guaranteed, and didn't have to wonder about his next meal any more. What's more, he was able to help his mom, whose apartment had burned the year before and was living in hotels.

"She doesn't have to worry anymore, and that's less stress on me," he said.

It's been a whirlwind for Gordon, who's currently starting opposite Greg Little, because of injuries to Mohamed Massaquoi, Travis Benjamin and Jordan Norwood. The Browns have needed him to grow up fast and have ridden him hard at times. But the pressures of the NFL haven't caused him to revert to his old behaviors.

"It's been easy for me [to stay clean]," he said. "Off the field, there hasn't really been anything to tempt me, and it's never really been a problem like that."

Getting kicked out of Baylor and off the Utah team has made him cherish this opportunity and not look back.

"I'm going about it real mature, as if it's a job and as if it's the most important thing in my life -- and it is -- so it's not anything to really mess with or play around with or anything like that," he said. "It's definitely not college. I definitely realize what's in front of me, so I appreciate everything I get and I wouldn't do anything like that."

Gordon was struck last week by the ESPN special "Broke," about NFL players who squandered their money.

"I definitely learned from it," he said. "I definitely don't want to end up like a lot of those guys. You really have to think about what you can do for certain people and when to say no."

For Gordon, it has always been about his mom and brother, and it's still that way now. His brother moved here with him and is taking some classes at Cleveland State, might even try out for the basketball team.

"We take care of each other," said Gordon. "We don't really have much and we're not really used to having much, so we're fine."

The Browns have kept tabs on their young players' personal lives, and they have been happy with Gordon.

"The only way I have to judge him is what he's doing in meetings, what he's doing on the field," said Childress. "Is he showing up on time? Is he productive when he's here? I've seen that from him. He seems to be a good worker."

After the Giants game, Gordon heard from Baylor coach Art Briles and assistant Brian Norwood, Jordan's father.

"They're definitely proud of me," he said. "They believed in me all the time so it's good to have those kind of guys in your corner."

Now, Gordon just wants to stay on track and build off his New York minute.

"I'm just trying to finish out the season real well and keep all the off-the-field stuff behind me," he said. "I'm blessed and grateful to be here. Hopefully everybody will forget about [the past] one day and just see me for the player I am."

One of these receivers has to step it up a notch and gordon is all that is left, momass is an injury prone bust and little is a slower less talented version of braylon edwards, travis benjamin looked like he was starting to take it to the next level but alas small stature and a lack of toughness and he gets hurt, norwood the same these 2 are no hines ward, mitchell stinks so bad they wont even put him on the field so when its said and done gordon is the only WR currently on the field who has the chance of a lifetime to turn heads and help turn the browns around..

Here is to hoping weeden, gordon and richardson can get some rhythm and momentum going in pat shurmurs simple minded and predictable offensive playcalling..

Agree with OP...

Takes time to rediscover feel for the game after being away... especially for younger players. Posted elsewhere around here after NYG game that his "feel" seemed to be returning.

Now just need Little's feel to return... to his hands...

Archived