THE BROWNS BOARD

Most Impressive Thing About Today's Win?

miktoxic

don't get flustered weedster fans just joking. i know he just turned 37 sorry. anyways...

let me preface this by saying congrats to everyone in browns' nation from top to bottom and every other fan of the browns. i didn't get to see the game from start to finish as i was screwed up by a couple of our 'crew' who were late to meet at the local pub which carries all the games.

the last i saw of the game is when we had 7 points late in the 1st half. i can't guess what happened even though i've seen some highlights since BUT for all that got to see the game:

what would you take away from THIS WIN as the most crucial improvement, individual performance etc.?

thx in advance!

Everyone wore pink.

that goes without saying.....mmmmmm. HA!

no but you're correct about the OL. something i was VERY concerned about 3 weeks ago.

what i did see of the game and the plays and players involved was sheldon brown's name was called out a lot with good defensive play. rookie DLmen as well.

to me(limited viewing) i think we saw the beginning of a very good career in josh gordon. love that kid. thank god for the supplemental draft.

don't get flustered weedster fans just joking. i know he just turned 37 sorry. anyways...

let me preface this by saying congrats to everyone in browns' nation from top to bottom and every other fan of the browns. i didn't get to see the game from start to finish as i was screwed up by a couple of our 'crew' who were late to meet at the local pub which carries all the games.

the last i saw of the game is when we had 7 points late in the 1st half. i can't guess what happened even though i've seen some highlights since BUT for all that got to see the game:

what would you take away from THIS WIN as the most crucial improvement, individual performance etc.?

thx in advance!

Great game! I don't know if it was the most significant individual performance (because Gordon was great) but I really like the fact that Hardesty was able to step in for Richardson and have success. When we have success with a back in addition to our monster, it opens many possibilities. It also throws other defenses off when we sub out for Richardson.

that goes without saying.....mmmmmm. HA!

no but you're correct about the OL. something i was VERY concerned about 3 weeks ago.

what i did see of the game and the plays and players involved was sheldon brown's name was called out a lot with good defensive play. rookie DLmen as well.

to me(limited viewing) i think we saw the beginning of a very good career in josh gordon. love that kid. thank god for the supplemental draft.

Was at the game.

Positives-

1) Hardesty looked like the guy we gave up draft picks for- by far his best game as a pro.

2) Greg Little actually caught two passes in a row!

3) Yup, too early to say but Gordon continues to impress.

4) The Browns would have a couple more wins if Haden hadn't gotten himself suspended- he makes that much of a difference.

5) Shurmur finally figured out if you have a qb that can throw it 60 yards downfield, you let him throw it 60 yards downfield.

6) Cribbs had another big runback.

7) Sheldon Brown had his best game in a LONG time.

Not so good-

1) the Bengals were quite effective taking away Richardson's cutback lanes.

2) I thought Patsy's clock management at the end of the first half left a lot to be desired- the Bengals have third and goal before the two minute warning, and you just let them burn clock?

3) Mari-suck continued to SUCK. Dropped a couple of easy swing passes- time to bench this bum.

4) Weeden needs to lean about a thing called passing lanes- even a 100 mph fastball won't go through a defender. Had one batted ball intercepted, and a couple more knocked down.

I did notice Cousins and Greco were in in the second half- either Lauvao and Schwartz were either injured or were stinking up the place so bad, Shurmur pulled them.

Too bad we already blew 5 games- get Taylor, Mo-mass, & Benjamin back this team MIGHT just be 1\2 decent the second half of the season.

Was at the game.

Positives-

1) Hardesty looked like the guy we gave up draft picks for- by far his best game as a pro.

4) The Browns would have a couple more wins if Haden hadn't gotten himself suspended- he makes that much of a difference.

5) Shurmur finally figured out if you have a qb that can throw it 60 yards downfield, you let him throw it 60 yards downfield.

Not so good-

2) I thought Patsy's clock management at the end of the first half left a lot to be desired- the Bengals have third and goal before the two minute warning, and you just let them burn clock?

3) Mari-suck continued to SUCK. Dropped a couple of easy swing passes- time to bench this bum.

I did notice Cousins and Greco were in in the second half- either Lauvao and Schwartz were either injured or were stinking up the place so bad, Shurmur pulled them.

Too bad we already blew 5 games- get Taylor, Mo-mass, & Benjamin back this team MIGHT just be 1\2 decent the second half of the season.

thanks hoorta, always look forward to your posts.

for how bad we have looked in the first 5 games on the OL i was pleasantly surprised on how much time and space weeden had in the pocket. we've been letting guys get into the backfield untouched for weeks. did see a whiif by TR on a pass block attempt.

i think we all agree that marejirk blows. the vickers move still pisses me off. hopefully little understands that if he can't hold on to the ball he might be the number 3 receiver at the end of the year. not a better motivator than to look over your shoulder and see someone that is younger, more athletic and out performs you.

on defense haden is huge. is he a captain yet? (i mean how many can you have?). i would think DQ is one. didn't see too much of him. did he even play? love sheard. think wynn is stepping up and fort might be the only young LB we have that can play. if taylor and haden had been there from the get go i'm thinking we'd be at least .500.

will be a very interesting second half of the season. a lot of surprises happening in the NFL right now. how about the gints just dominating the fuck outta SF who a lot picked to be the NFC rep in the super bowl. seattle? dallas? man wtf is going on?

something is in the air. maybe it's the zombo stew they're all smelling.

ON D:

Their impressive (for us) ability to stop the run yesterday, especially on 1st Down, and force Dalton into longer passing situations.

Stat line of the day on D: Green-Ellis: 16 carries, only 62 yds, 0 TDs.

Secondary played great, sans TJ Ward who got beat a couple times in the pass game.

ON O:

Great pass-blocking, and good (for us) WR play.

Stat line of the day on O: Run/Pass Ratio, slightly favoring the run: 34:31

Marecic stunk, and run-blocking got off to a slow start, but Hardesty showed off his burst yesterday.

ON ST:

Dawson is Dawson; Cribbs is Cribbs - he single handedly ignites a spark in this team time and time again. He doesn't seem to have the 2nd gear to get return TDs anymore, but he has great vision as a returner.

I was impressed that Shurmur had the testicular fortitude to actually call a pass on 3rd and 1. 9 times out of 10 you run the ball. The conservative man he is, he grew a pair and went against convention. Although they didn't convert, i was glad with the call. They should have converted if the protection was there.

I was also impressed that he didn't coach to lose as he usually does. Once we got the lead, the game calling was pretty much still the same.

Our depleted defensive line made some plays. Dalton was under pressure very often, and they really brought the heat in the second half. When Rubin and Taylor are both healthy, opposing lines are going to have their hands full to say the least.

The Browns will have a DT rotation of Taylor, Rubin, Winn and Hughes. The first two are proven quality players. The latter two are looking good for rookies. The one thing the Browns may have is some quality depth at that position. I am not sure we are in quite the same shape at the DE position, though occasionally one of these may spell Sheard/Rucker/Parker/Stevens.

I was impressed that Shurmur had the testicular fortitude to actually call a pass on 3rd and 1. 9 times out of 10 you run the ball. The conservative man he is, he grew a pair and went against convention. Although they didn't convert, i was glad with the call. They should have converted if the protection was there.

I was also impressed that he didn't coach to lose as he usually does. Once we got the lead, the game calling was pretty much still the same.

I am not sure I would call it fortitude. Obstinance might be a better word. He was criticised last week for not running the ball on 3rd and 1.....so what does he do this week on 3rd and 1...which the Browns had like 4 times? He passes 3 times and does a QB sneak the last time. I think he didn't run TR or MH on 3rd and 1 just to tweek his naysayers.

Two things for me. One is that we actually played an all around game of football and didn't get killed in one area that cost us the game. Defense gave up two big plays but buckled down great and scored. Weeden had another strong game and showed perfect touch on the big play to Gordon. Special teams didn't give up a huge return. Outside of that stupid personal foul we avoided the flags (was there even a false start).

Secondly and most importantly, the browns are finally a team that isn't a snooze fest to watch. Seriously, if you would have told me last season expect the browns to score 30+ points I'd call you crazy. The defense is still lacking but offense wins games in the NFL. This is the first time in a long time where I feel like if we go down 7-10 points, we can actually score enough to come back.

The biggest thing I'm looking for is consistency. We got a good chance to get another win this Sunday against an equally talented squad.

Shurmur actually looking and acting like a head coach. Much improved playcalling in the second half and adjusting to the opposition in the second half.

I agree with all the previous commenters on the other impressive players.

Not in agreement on this one... It may have been his best performance, but there is so much more to be desired.

The play-calling and execution in the 3rd quarter was terrible, luckily for both teams. If not for the Cribbs punt return that flipped the field, I don't know if we win that game.

Then, if not for a forced fumble, we likely go to OT because of a time management mistake on 3rd down with 4 mins left in the game.

The PLAYERS won the game. Like Marty Schottenheimer says, "When you're in trouble, think players, not plays".

Was at the game.

Positives-

Not so good-

4) Weeden needs to lean about a thing called passing lanes- even a 100 mph fastball won't go through a defender. Had one batted ball intercepted, and a couple more knocked down.

I agree with hoorta's assessment completely and would only add that pat shurmur generally sucks as a playcaller and often makes gutless calls and or poor game threatening decisions, i like shurmur as an HC but i currently do not like him as a playcalling HC..

Pat needs to have more faith in his players abilities at 1-5 it is uncalled for to turtle up with a small lead or when the browns are behind, pats consistently over conservative playcalling in this situation is unacceptable..

Archived