THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the NFL Playoffs

Zombo

It's another wild and wacky finish in the NFL this year, as the playoffs are chock full of surprises, the #1 seeds are ousted once again and it's a free-for-all among teams that were almost also-rans. If the NCAA doesn't see the benefit of a playoff system yet, God bless 'em.

There's something for everyone. This year for Browns fans, the NFC features two teams that couldn't do this year what the Browns did last year: win 10 games. Not only that, but it's two old birds that, like the Browns, haven't captured an NFL title during the Super Bowl era (Though we should clarify for mentally challenged Steeler fans: the Browns 8 championships, the Eagles 3 and the Cardinals 2 count just as much as your most recent one).

It's the morning of Sunday, December 27th, 2008. Who is your Super Bowl pick in the NFC? I can tell you one thing, it wasn't one of these teams. The Cardinals are 8-7, have lost four of five, just got their doors blown off by the Patriots 47-7, a week after getting trampled by the Vikings 35-14. They won their division by default, as the other three teams just collapsed right out of the gate, and the Cards, 3-7 outside the friendly confines of the NFC West, looked like they were going to be someone's first round bitch. The Eagles aren't much better at 8-6-1, they made a late rally but it wasn't going to be enough. They need to not only beat the Cowboys, but they need the Bears to lose to Texas and the Bucs to lose at home to Oakland. It looked like their season would be remembered for not knowing how a tie works, benching their franchise QB, and probably the last hurrah of the Andy Reid era.

That was three weeks ago. Then a funny thing happened: the Cards started playing a little defense, and reviving Edgarin James to go with their spectacular passing game and they won. And won. And won again. And the Eagles had the Sunday of all regular season Sundays: they absolutely embarrassed the Cokeboys while the Bears got bitten and the Bucs did a mega-choke. And now the two former rivals of the old NFC East fly again ... at each other for a chance to play for the coveted Super Bowl trophy each has been denied.

And that better bird will get to play ... a team Browns fans love to hate. We already know we have a rooting interest in the Super Bowl. Some games are hard to get up for (Carolina / New England for example ... good game, but it didn't really matter to me who won), but this year the game should be fun for Browns fans as we will have a bona fide villain. Who will it be though? Let's take a look into the crystal ball and find out:

Philadelphia at Arizona 3:00 PM

The Cardinals are talented, there is no doubt about it. Larry Fitzgerald alone is a huge difference-maker, and when you team him with Anquan Boldin, and then Kurt Warner goes off on one of his patented post-season runs, they are a lot to be reckoned with. But I just don't think they have the defense to go the extra step. The Eagles do: Jim Johnson has done a masterful job year after year in Philadelphia with all kinds of different parts. But the one constant has been safety Brian Dawkins. A Hall of Famer on the field and a great humanitarian off the field ... how can you not root for this guy? And Brian Westbrook will not only play, he will come up with a huge game. So McNabb and Reid will get one last chance to cement their legend with the tough Philly fans in Tampa two weeks from now. And I know who I will be rooting for. EAGLES 30 CARDINALS 23

Baltimore at Pittsburgh 6:30 PM

Man, if you listen to the Steeler fans, you'd think they were on some great post-season march or something. Truth is, they lost to the Titans when they had a chance to show their supposed superiority and then beat the 8-8 Chargers at home. That's their big playoff push. Wow. The Ravens, on the other hand, really are on a great run. In their last eight games, they got screwed on a horrible call against the Steelers, but they have won the other seven, often in pummeling fashion, including wins over the Eagles, Cowboys, 11-5 Dolphins and those 13-3 Titans whom the Steelers couldn't beat. The Ravens are the better team. Ed Reed is the best player on the field today, their defense is just dominating people and making big plays. Their offensive line is better, their running game is better, and their QB makes way fewer mistakes than the Steelers mistake-prone oaf. This one seems like a no-brainer to me. The Ravens will get many more field goal opportunities, and Matt Stover will kick them through. RAVENS 12 STEELERS 3

Zombo

It's another wild and wacky finish in the NFL this year, as the playoffs are chock full of surprises, the #1 seeds are ousted once again and it's a free-for-all among teams that were almost also-rans. If the NCAA doesn't see the benefit of a playoff system yet, God bless 'em.

There's something for everyone. This year for Browns fans, the NFC features two teams that couldn't do this year what the Browns did last year: win 10 games. Not only that, but it's two old birds that, like the Browns, haven't captured an NFL title during the Super Bowl era (Though we should clarify for mentally challenged Steeler fans: the Browns 8 championships, the Eagles 3 and the Cardinals 2 count just as much as your most recent one).

It's the morning of Sunday, December 27th, 2008. Who is your Super Bowl pick in the NFC? I can tell you one thing, it wasn't one of these teams. The Cardinals are 8-7, have lost four of five, just got their doors blown off by the Patriots 47-7, a week after getting trampled by the Vikings 35-14. They won their division by default, as the other three teams just collapsed right out of the gate, and the Cards, 3-7 outside the friendly confines of the NFC West, looked like they were going to be someone's first round bitch. The Eagles aren't much better at 8-6-1, they made a late rally but it wasn't going to be enough. They need to not only beat the Cowboys, but they need the Bears to lose to Texas and the Bucs to lose at home to Oakland. It looked like their season would be remembered for not knowing how a tie works, benching their franchise QB, and probably the last hurrah of the Andy Reid era.

That was three weeks ago. Then a funny thing happened: the Cards started playing a little defense, and reviving Edgarin James to go with their spectacular passing game and they won. And won. And won again. And the Eagles had the Sunday of all regular season Sundays: they absolutely embarrassed the Cokeboys while the Bears got bitten and the Bucs did a mega-choke. And now the two former rivals of the old NFC East fly again ... at each other for a chance to play for the coveted Super Bowl trophy each has been denied.

And that better bird will get to play ... a team Browns fans love to hate. We already know we have a rooting interest in the Super Bowl. Some games are hard to get up for (Carolina / New England for example ... good game, but it didn't really matter to me who won), but this year the game should be fun for Browns fans as we will have a bona fide villain. Who will it be though? Let's take a look into the crystal ball and find out:

The Cardinals are talented, there is no doubt about it. Larry Fitzgerald alone is a huge difference-maker, and when you team him with Anquan Boldin, and then Kurt Warner goes off on one of his patented post-season runs, they are a lot to be reckoned with. But I just don't think they have the defense to go the extra step. The Eagles do: Jim Johnson has done a masterful job year after year in Philadelphia with all kinds of different parts. But the one constant has been safety Brian Dawkins. A Hall of Famer on the field and a great humanitarian off the field ... how can you not root for this guy? And Brian Westbrook will not only play, he will come up with a huge game. So McNabb and Reid will get one last chance to cement their legend with the tough Philly fans in Tampa two weeks from now. And I know who I will be rooting for. EAGLES 30 CARDINALS 23

Man, if you listen to the Steeler fans, you'd think they were on some great post-season march or something. Truth is, they lost to the Titans when they had a chance to show their supposed superiority and then beat the 8-8 Chargers at home. That's their big playoff push. Wow. The Ravens, on the other hand, really are on a great run. In their last eight games, they got screwed on a horrible call against the Steelers, but they have won the other seven, often in pummeling fashion, including wins over the Eagles, Cowboys, 11-5 Dolphins and those 13-3 Titans whom the Steelers couldn't beat. The Ravens are the better team. Ed Reed is the best player on the field today, their defense is just dominating people and making big plays. Their offensive line is better, their running game is better, and their QB makes way fewer mistakes than the Steelers mistake-prone oaf. This one seems like a no-brainer to me. The Ravens will get many more field goal opportunities, and Matt Stover will kick them through. RAVENS 12 STEELERS 3

Zombo

It was actually the morning of Sunday December 28th, 2008 not the 27th. Your inability to read a calender when you cant even make correct dates of when games occured some 3 weeks ago tells me all I need to know about your picks...Cards and Steelers will both win take it to the bank fellas...

Another thing here with this game today with the Steelers and Ravens you can throw everything out the window in terms of who the Ravens have beaten during the last 8 weeks and who the Steelers have played to get here and everything else. You can still whine and cry about the Holmes TD ruling and blah blah but the bottom line is it's been confirmed time and time again it was a touchdown by the NFL higher ups. I guess the fact that the Ravens defense before that play had nothing to with allowing the Steelers to drive the other 91 yards on them. That was just a mirage and didnt really happen. Even if the Holmes TD isnt ruled a TD the Steelers either go for it and score from the one inch line on 4th down, or they kick the tying FG play for OT and win the game in OT.

The bottom line is the Ravens have had some impressive wins this year, but all I know is they played the Steelers two times this season and they lost both of them, and Flacco folded in both games late in the 4th quarter and Ben Roethlisberger made plays. It's not the Steelers fault the Titans choked against the Ravens and couldnt get the job done or the Colts who just like the Ravens won a lot of games in a row going into their playoff game and lost to an 8-8 Chargers team. As I stated a few weeks ago when it happened the Titans would regret beating the Steelers because it would give them the one seed which would mean they would have to play the Ravens in their first playoff game which is not the team you want to play for your first game coming off a bye week. You would rather see the Ravens in this game when they are more beat up after playing a physical game against the Titans and having some key injuries. Also, you want to play the Ravens after you already have one playoff game under your belt in which you played good and have your confidence back, and are a much fresher and healthier team then the Ravens are.

It was actually the morning of Sunday December 28th, 2008 not the 27th. Your inability to read a calender

Brilliant. You had a whole long post to work with, and you went with the calendar angle ... and then misspelled calendar.

Zombo

--Put them out of their misery, Ravens

Zombo

Zombozo 0 for 2 now and reaching for the rarified air of perfectly awful prognosticator. Now all Nostradumbass has to do is pick the Cardinals and remain a perfect zero for the playoffs...another metaphor of Brown's futility.

Archived