THE BROWNS BOARD

Ray Edwards Cut From Falcons

jrb12711

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094334/article/ray-edwards-cut-by-atlanta-falcons-in-surprise-move

Just an example of how just signing a name in FA isn't always the best idea. Not saying it's a bad idea either depending on the situation, but these types of raw deals happen all the time it seems like. Opinions?

Just signing a name? Who is Ray Edwards? He is not a name I know....so maybe they didn't really sign a name?

Just signing a name? Who is Ray Edwards? He is not a name I know....so maybe they didn't really sign a name?

He was an over-rated pass rusher from the Vikings that was a beneficery of their great defensive tackles. Glad we stayed away from him. But we really do need a pass rusher.

Zombo

He was an over-rated pass rusher from the Vikings that was a beneficery of their great defensive tackles. Glad we stayed away from him. But we really do need a pass rusher.

Zombo

Maybe having Rubin and Taylor together for the first time this year will help in that regard. Sheard has to step it up.

The DT rotation of Taylor, Rubin, Winn, and The Sausage King could be quite solid.

Rucker/Parker/Sheard? Not as solid.

Absolutely though the Browns need that pass rusher, be it a DE or OLB.

Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo could look good here.

(or how about Manti Teo?...more of a MLB)

MCK said something about Sheard getting constant double teams in the PD last weekend which is ridiculous.

I haven't noticed him getting doubled once, I have however noticed him trying to do this outside speed rush constantly with failed results.

He runs to the outside and the right tackles stay with him step by step. Now I don't know maybe he's being coached to do this to open up gaps or something but the guy has been really ineffective so far this year.

I don't see a healthy Rubin and Taylor in there helping him much since every time I notice Sheard he's 1 on 1 with the RT outside anyhow.

You got to like our depth at DT though and if a new coach comes in here next season and switches the D to a 3-4 I think our line could be pretty solid moving some of those guys to DE.

Maybe Sheard would be a better pass rusher as an OLB in a 3-4?

Maybe having Rubin and Taylor together for the first time this year will help in that regard. Sheard has to step it up.

The DT rotation of Taylor, Rubin, Winn, and The Sausage King could be quite solid.

Rucker/Parker/Sheard? Not as solid.

Absolutely though the Browns need that pass rusher, be it a DE or OLB.

Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo could look good here.

(or how about Manti Teo?...more of a MLB)

Actually I'm looking forward to what Winn can do while playing End.

MCK said something about Sheard getting constant double teams in the PD last weekend which is ridiculous.

I haven't noticed him getting doubled once, I have however noticed him trying to do this outside speed rush constantly with failed results.

He runs to the outside and the right tackles stay with him step by step. Now I don't know maybe he's being coached to do this to open up gaps or something but the guy has been really ineffective so far this year.

I don't see a healthy Rubin and Taylor in there helping him much since every time I notice Sheard he's 1 on 1 with the RT outside anyhow.

You got to like our depth at DT though and if a new coach comes in here next season and switches the D to a 3-4 I think our line could be pretty solid moving some of those guys to DE.

Maybe Sheard would be a better pass rusher as an OLB in a 3-4?

Fuck no, switching back and forth from a 3-4, to a 4-3, and back to a 3-4 within 4 years would be idiotic. We can't afford to rebuild the entire concept of our D every 3 years.

Actually I'm looking forward to what Winn can do while playing End.

Yea, but be careful what you ask for, you might get it. Seriously, why do you think Winn would be successful at DE? Some supremely talented guys can play at DT as well as DE...like a Reggie White. Do you think Winn is of that caliber?

Yea, but be careful what you ask for, you might get it. Seriously, why do you think Winn would be successful at DE? Some supremely talented guys can play at DT as well as DE...like a Reggie White. Do you think Winn is of that caliber?

Was reading an article where he was projected to play some DE.

He's strong, and quick. So I imagine he could provide a good outside bullrush rather than just trying to slide around the OT.

Was reading an article where he was projected to play some DE.

He's strong, and quick. So I imagine he could provide a good outside bullrush rather than just trying to slide around the OT.

I could see him being a better DE fit in a 3-4 scheme, not sure about the 4-3 but im still interested in seeing if he could be a force on the edge IDK. Too much unknown at this point.

I know i love the way the guy plays. Very happy he became a Cleveland Brown!

This guy was one of the coveted free agents in the 2011 offseason. I remember so many people on this board railed Heckert when we didn't even make an offer to the guy. This is just another of many examples to me that signing the best "name" in a free agent class doesn't pan out.

This guy was one of the coveted free agents in the 2011 offseason. I remember so many people on this board railed Heckert when we didn't even make an offer to the guy. This is just another of many examples to me that signing the best "name" in a free agent class doesn't pan out.

No but signing guys like Dimitri Patterson, Usama Young and re signing Chris Gocong haven't been the best either.

You can't build a winner by throwing all your money into free agency. Look at the Eagles. they blow..

But there is something to be said about a GM who can bring in middle tier free agents to compliment their team. 49ers are the best example of this. Look at their free agents they brought into compliment their draft class.

Whitner, Donte

Rogers, Carlos

Moss, Randy

Manningham, Mario

Davis, Leonard

Smith, Justin

Brooks, Ahmad

Archived