THE BROWNS BOARD

Goodbye, Dad. Goodbye Browns Super Bowl Dreams

calfoxwc

Sorry to hear about your loss Mike. Never a good time to see them go. I know what it's like to lose a parent to cancer from personal experience. Its a shame so many of our fans are leaving this life without ever seeing the Browns play in a Super Bowl.

Dear Cal

My most sincere condolences for your recent loss of such a strong and important figure, however, I know that they have passed down their valuable traits and qualities down to you, as you had to be his pride and joy. If you have any difficulties or need any help with anything, please let me know it would be a pleasure.

May God be with you and your family.

My Old Man died back in 08...and I remember what a tough loss that was...But like Cal...and like Many of you...i have alot of great memories of Sundays with My Father and the Browns. My condolences to you and your Family,Cal...Take care Brother.

I lost my Dad 10 years ago this month. I still think of him daily and in the fondest way possible. I wish had as many fishing stories as you do, but in the end, it appears that they were both great men in their own way. For the last decade my family members have grieved his loss in sadness. But I have always chosen to celebrate his life instead. It changes your prespective on the event and makes it more bearable to live with. So, you and your dad's dream didn't die, because the dream was cheering for the Browns and experiencing the good and the bad plays together. You bonded over the experience and that's worth more than a Superbowl victory.

Hopefully, one day, you will be there, at the Brown's superbowl, and you know he'll be there (in spirit) with you.

Lovely tribute.

RC

To all you great folks who care so much, and posted such wonderful replies - Thanks, HUGE Thanks - I'm so tired, and this

just hurts so much. I have my Wife's hugs and Love, all our friends in real life here, and now the Best Wishes from all you Great Folks on our Brownsboard?

We are so honored, and my Dad is, too.

It seems to be the human condition a bit - major hurts like this - for a bit, you tend to feel like you're the only one - the tears fall like rain.......and then, all so quickly, you find out

you are not alone, and I will never forget you all's kindness, ever. God Bless. Calfox (Mike).

To all you great folks who care so much, and posted such wonderful replies - Thanks, HUGE Thanks - I'm so tired, and this

just hurts so much. I have my Wife's hugs and Love, all our friends in real life here, and now the Best Wishes from all you Great Folks on our Brownsboard?

It seems to be the human condition a bit - major hurts like this - for a bit, you tend to feel like you're the only one - the tears fall like rain.......and then, all so quickly, you find out

you are not alone, and I will never forget you all's kindness, ever. God Bless. Calfox (Mike).

Cal, I've known you for 15 years and I never knew your name was Mike ... I thought it was Cal, lol.

Your dad is going to bring the Browns a victory this Sunday and I will toast him afterward with a Root Beer.

Zombo

Cal it's gets easier man. Keep your chin up. I as well will be toasting to your pops this weekends' beat down of the Steelers.

My condolences, Cal, to you and yours... beautiful write up.

It's amazing the flood of memories that the death of a loved one unleash.... and here's the good part. Although they may slow with the passage of time... even, given enough time, to a trickle... they never stop.

Come February it'll be 17 years since colon cancer took my Father... and the memories, fresh memories, are still arriving.

thanks (Cal) for the beautiful tribute to your father, and to all of us here who lost thier pop, he lives on in our memories....

I too, remember the Sunday afternoons in the late 60's when dad turned on the Browns games on the radio, (WJW)

we would listen together, and loved the home games when the crowd went nuts - usually a TD run by Leroy Kelley,

or TD catch by Paul Warfield from Bill Nelson.... good times!

I lost my dad in 97 to cancer too... he was 72

Gods peace to you and your family....

I'll always remember that I went to a Browns game - before I was born. All these many years, Dad and I loved watching our Browns.

I remember one time, in the second grade, Dad and I went fishing one morning - 5:30 AM early. We drove to the lake, and after a while of fishing,

I got bored because the fish hadn't starting biting, so I went walking out on a tree over the shoreline, and stopped at the end, over about five

feet of water. As I turned around to walk back.... I skipped and fell in with a giant "kerploosh!". On our way home, to get me into some dry clothes,

I told Dad I was so sorry for ending our fishing outing. He just grinned, and said that we were coming right back out, I just did us a favor and woke

the fish up. And we did go right back out, and caught at least a hundred nice bluegill and redears. I always admired how he handled situations -

I never forgot how cool he was that time.

Well, he always was. Another time, one afternoon, the fish weren't biting as we sat out in our 17 foot canoe, and I was still a youngster, and I got

fidgety. He looked at me, and asked me how high I thought the sky was. Well, that turned into a long, very interesting conversation about how if the

sky/universe ended, and if it did, well, what was beyond that end? And, sure enough, before we figured it all out, the fish started biting.

Before I got my first shotgun, in the fifth grade, he said they'd get me one, but I'd have to carry my bbgun when we went hunting, and I

had to always carry it per his safety rules. For that whole year in the 4th grade. Sure enough, I did, and I still have that old 12 gauge single shot today.

I've always learned a ton of cool things from my Dad - he always could make you laugh in his quiet way, and was always so very smart,

and knew the outdoors stuff like crazy. We fixed all our own cars over all those years. He could fix anything - he really could. He'd just figure it out,

and never once get tired of tackling fix it jobs.

And watching Browns games together all these years, I always knew I would take us to a Browns superbowl no matter what it would cost.

We went to a last Browns game, this year - preseason, tickets compliments of a great friend. He had a tough time doing all the walking to the stadium and to

our seats, but simply joked about it the entire time.

We always dreamed how great that would be - going in person to that superbowl. All the lost years of wasted coaching picks, bad drafts, stupid personnel people.......

and it's all gone now. I'll never go to one. That dream died tonight.

I have always admired him. We have always been friends in a huge way, me and Dad.

But tonight, after several bouts of cancer over the years, we lost him. Too many things hit him at one time, this time.

There isn't one man on earth I would have wanted to be my Dad instead of him. He was 85 - a long time to hang in there, with us, watching the Browns every single

season. I'm a very lucky guy, but it doesn't make the heartbreak stay away.

Goodbye, Browns Super Bowl Dreams. One day, I'll see him again - and I'll tell him I'm ai sorry we never made those superbowl dreams come true.

And, sure enough, he'll grin at me, and talk about where the sky ends, if it does, until the fish starting hitting. Goodbye, Dad. Love you always and forever.

Sorry for your loss Cal. God bless you and your family.

Archived