THE BROWNS BOARD

The Master Review

The Master

Weinstein

R 150 min

I have been eagerly awaiting this film for a long time. I think Paul Thomas Anderson is an eccentric genius (BOOGIE NIGHTS, MAGNOLIA) and that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix are two of the best actors in the business.

I also find the subject matter, a quasi- religious movements, cults and the like to be especially intriguing. I also expect some psycho sexual spiritual symbolism from Anderson and that was most certainly delivered.

At the end of World War 2 The mentally imbalanced and alcoholic Freddie Quell (Phoenix) is set adrift to make his way in the world. After a booze-induced fit of rage he will find himself a stowaway on the yacht of Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman) a self-styled prophet who has created an entire philosophy of past lives and the never ending human soul. Despite the drifters obvious dangerous personality flaws Dodd will accept him with open arms as one of if not the most important of his apostles.

As this movement, called The Cause moves forward and expands Freddie becomes its most zealous supporter often attacking and beating anyone who dare disagree with the master.

You understand that Freddie cannot control his desires or restrain himself and in the end that will make it impossible to co-exist with Dodd's plan. Is the comparison becoming a little clearer now?

Because of the post-war setting and other similarities to Scientology some have assumed that THE MASTER was based on the life and experiences of L Ron Hubbard. While I’m positive Hubbard’s work was an inspiration of sorrts, it seems more likely, at least to me, that it's more of a riff on Christianity and God and Lucifer in particular.

Upon realizing that Freddie isn’t able to conform to the strict boundaries of the masters teaching he’s cast out of The Cause and told that in the afterlife when the two meet again he and Dodd will be mortal enemies.

I thought the subject and allegory were brilliant. The acting as good as it can be. The look is top rate.

I could have gone with an A+ but for some odd reason the film itself just wasn’t as gripping as I’d hoped. It did seem a bit long and slow at times.

Still it’s an important film and I’d like to hear your thoughts.

B+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

I think the thing that seemed a bit unsatisfying in this movie is that there were no real "resolutions" to the main questions it addressed. (nor do I think there were meant to be resolutions). Most movies have the proverbial "happy ending"...or sad ending. This one just ended with the main characters essentially going about their lives the same way that they were doing so when they were first introduced.

Freddie was still getting drunk and chasing chicks, and the Master was still "scamming" his theories on the public. The difference was they moved from the US to England to do so.

Nevertheless, it was definitely an A-/B+ movie.

The journey was more important than the destination.

Archived