THE BROWNS BOARD

Frankenweenie Review

Frankenweenie

Buena Vista

PG 80 min

Well Halloween is right around the corner. That means we can expect a slew of second rate horror movies. Usually, though, among that heap of Cinematic Deadwood you can find one or two that shine through.

Tim Burton’s entry is touted as a light and heartwarming animation entitled FRANKENWEENIE.

Unfortunately it's not very light and it's not very heart warming. Oh it has the trademark Burton creepy animation, but it's all in black and while you expect it to turn into full color at any moment but it never does. Neither does the story. The first thing you will notice is a striking similarity to Stephen King's PET SEMATERY and Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. Young Victor is a loner who's more interested in science then baseball. When his best, and possibly only, friend Sparky the dog is killed Victor rigs up an experiment and amazingly brings the pup back to life! Unfortunately it's not long before other students steal this idea as they compete in the upcoming science fair. What I thought it would turn out to be a morality play turns more in to a slapdash action monster film. You never really empathize with anyone but Sparky the dog. There isn’t a life affirming message as it plods through a scant 80 minutes. While I respect Burton's ability to put together a striking show I've often been at odds with his lack of charismatic characters.

I was more disappointed that Disney let this one out of the laboratory..

C

WSS

Archived