THE BROWNS BOARD

Seven Psycopaths Review

Seven Psychopaths

CBS

R 109 min

I have to begin by apologizing for not reviewing a horror film this close to Halloween. As you know the Voice will hit the stands before that holiday and presumably before the release of any of the worthwhile horror films, and I just couldn't force myself to sit through another installment of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

Sorry.

I'm not usually a fan of what they call dark comedy but I'm not even sure if 7 PSYCHOPATHS actually falls under that blanket. It is, of course, dark and it is a little funny from time to time but it is also pretty damn violent even if it is presented in a light hearted way. Well, as light hearted as killing a bunch of people can be. Think of Quentin Tarantino on a couple hits of Paxil.

Actually what drew me to this 1 is 2 of the members of the cast, Colin Farrell and Christopher Walken.

I usually like Farrell but Walken is a special breed.

Some actors like Gary Oldman Meryl Streep and Kenneth Branagh are so good that they become what ever character they play.

Some others like Sean Connery, Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis are so charismatic that the character becomes them. Walken is in a category similar to the second group. He's just rivetingly odd.

At any rate I would be doing you a disservice by laying out the plot to this one so I suggest you see it before you read further even though reading further would probably just be confusing.

3 of the other 5 psychopaths are played by Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and the one and only Tom Waits. I won't tell you which are which because it's fun to watch the film unfold but let's just say Marty (Farrell) is an Irish American playwright trying to write a screenplay of the same name and trying you've been harder to create 7 psychopathic characters. His lunatic buddy Billy (Rockwell) is helping with the search. The entire convoluted plot revolves around a scam where one of the psychos has started a cottage industry kidnapping pet dogs and collecting rewards upon their return. Providence would have it that he snatches the wrong shitzu and its owner a crazy mob boss vows deadly retaliation. Pretty soon everybody's killing everybody else while Marty's screenplay becomes crazier and crazier.

7 PSYCOPATHS never slows down or becomes predictable so don’t worry about getting bored.

I’m sure some will find it just too far over the top. Not me.

A-

And for the lovers of Halloween, remember:

WSS says the world’s two scariest films ever are THE EXORCIST and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.

Turn off the lights crank up the wide screen blu ray and unplug the phone.

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived