THE BROWNS BOARD

Flight Review

Flight

Paramount

R 138 min

Before I begin let me tell you there's a spoiler alert, don't read this if you want to see the film.

Second I was planning just this morning to go see Quentin Tarantino's MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS. It hadn't showed up on moviefone listing until just this morning and I think I know why. Quentin Tarantino didn't direct this thing. Just for the record I hate martial arts films and had only planned to see this because of Tarantino's weird style of directing.

So I quickly opted for plan B, FLIGHT, starring Denzel Washington. He's good in everything he does and certainly a big enough start to not have to accept cheesy roles.

Well, FLIGHT is by no means cheesy but its most definately not what I expected from the trailers (that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Here's what I had guessed:

Captain Whip Whitaker (Washington) is a first rate pilot who single handedly lands a plane in headed for sure disaster, a feat that would have been impossibility for any other man.

In spite of this hero lick feet evil corporations or possibly lawyers are trying to frame him as the culprit in the crash.

Not exactly, here's the spoiler.

Not only had Whip had a drink or two before the flight but the guy was actually blasted out of his mind not only on booze but cocaine. As it turns out he's been drunk or high or both nearly every day of the past many years. Yep, the guy is a hardcore alcoholic.

The tough part is that the alcohol abuse really had nothing to do with the crash and he saved almost everyone on board. Still if word ever got out about his drinking he'd lose his license and be sent to prison. During the course of the film we will watch his life fall apart as he climbs off and back on to the wagon over and over. He's lost his wife and child, the respect of his co-workers, his new girlfriend and is now about to lose his freedom.

I have friends and acquaintances who are alcoholics and I certainly understand the trials and tribulations that a fortune can cause in people's lives. While no solution is perfect nor even for everyone I believe that Alcoholics Anonymous does very good work and that those who can stick to that program deserve our respect.

Unfortunately from an entertainment perspective that does not make up the basis of a very good film, even with someone as talented as mister Washington.

It's dry and slow and painful to watch.

One can't help but admire the idea behind this film but it is not an enjoyable two hours.

C+

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. It was not the movie that the trailers seemed to depict. It is much more serious than that.

It may very well garner some Oscar nominations for the actors, and maybe even for Best Picture and I would rate it higher than you did.

But I agree, on the "enjoyment" level it is not a fun movie. But it deserves recognition for how well it is made.

Archived