THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Mcdaniels Could Be Closing In On His Second Chance As A Head Coach

WRREBEL

My link

Josh McDaniels could be closing in on his second chance as a head coach

Posted by Mike Florio on December 9, 2012, 6:19 AM EST

AP

In his first stint as a head coach, things didn’t go very well for Josh McDaniels. Hired by the Broncos in 2009, he was fired during the 2010 season.

At first, things were looking good for McDaniels, leading the team to a 6-0 start that included a fist-pumping win over his mentor, Bill Belichick.

Unlike other Belichick pupils who went elsewhere and failed, McDaniels’ road led back to Foxboro, where he is serving as offensive coordinator a year after having that same job in St. Louis. Now, as the 2013 coaching carousel approaches, McDaniels’ name is bubbling back onto the list of potential head-coaching candidates.

The first rumor that has landed on our radar screen links McDaniels to Cleveland. Coincidentally, that’s where Belichick ultimately failed as a first-time NFL head coach, before becoming regarded as one of the best ever in New England. As the rumor goes, McDaniels and G.M. Mike Lombardi would come to the Browns as a package deal.

A native of nearby Canton, it’s unclear how McDaniels would be received by Browns fans. The local media already has been bristling at the notion that Lombardi could supplant G.M. Tom Heckert.

And with plenty of coaching jobs expected to be available this season, McDaniels could be lured elsewhere. Perhaps he’d be interested in coaching up Cam Newton, if the Carolina job is open. Or perhaps McDaniels would be willing to work with likely front-office chiefs Jimmy Raye and John Spanos in San Diego, if that also means working with Philip Rivers.

Jacksonville remains an intriguing possibility for McDaniels, given that he could then try to reunite with the quarterback he selected in the first round of the 2010 draft. (You know, the guy in the picture with McDaniels?)

Either way, McDaniels could soon be once again in demand as a head coach, which would make him one of the few members of the FFCA for whom NFL owners may clamor.

IDK! There is a huge difference between his first failed coaching stint and Belichick's first head coaching job in Cleveland. Where ever he goes he needs to have zero control over the roster, as in he can only give advice on who he likes but can not over step his bounds. Can someone remind me about all the shit this guy did to get fired in 1 1/2 years.

WHy does everyone want a local guy? JUst get the best guy, I could care less if he's from here, or MARS...........JUST WIN

he single handedly set the broncos franchise back 5yrs.

i think he would be an EXCELLENT choice at HC for the browns!

1st move he'd make? trade t-rich to the Steelers for a 5th round pick and use your 1st round pick on a punter.

that sounds 100% like a mcdaniels move...........and he'd be proud of it too!

ROTFLMFAO!

Pretty sure whomever Haslam/Banner/new GM choose it will not be someone with a history of monumental failure in their background

We can only hope

Pretty sure whomever Haslam/Banner/new GM choose it will not be someone with a history of monumental failure in their background

would it really matter?

honestly.

cleveland, for reasons god only knows, is where football careers go to die.

:P

he single handedly set the broncos franchise back 5yrs.

ROTFLMFAO!

You're an idiot!! Set the Broncos back 5 years???? Didn't they win their division this year??? (1 yrs later)... And, didn't his 1st round pick beat you're Steelers last year in the playoffs??? (1 years later)

Not saying I'd like having him, just saying you're just a big Douche!!!!

I brought his name up a few weeks ago as a possible HC candidate. Watching the MNF game, I know it helps having Tom Brady at QB but if we're going to constantly bitch about Shurmurs playcalling, shouldn't McDaniels be getting a ton of credit for the game plan and play calling that he's doing so far? I wouldn't mind seeing him spread the field and put Weeden in the shotgun where he seems to be most comfortable.

Archived