THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Make Roster Moves

TypicalBrowns

Browns make roster moves

Dec 10, 2012 05:45 PM ET

The Cleveland Browns today signed tight end Brad Smelley to the active roster from the club’s practice squad. In addition, the team waived defensive lineman Ronnie Cameron.

Drafted by the club in the seventh round (247th overall) of this year’s draft out of Alabama, Smelley has spent all 14 weeks of the regular season on the club’s practice squad. He appeared in all four preseason games and recorded two receptions for 21 yards, including a 12 yard touchdown.

Cameron spent eight weeks on the club’s practice squad and five weeks on the active roster where he was in inactive for four games and did not play in one other.

Looks like we may finally get a look at Brad Smelley! Its nice hes at least on the roster now.

Anyone know what happened to marecic? Not that i miss him or anything....was he cut?

The Browns little problem at running the football could be helped considerably by a decent fullback. Marecic sucked and Smith has really been playing out of position.

I hope that Smelly can make a difference.

Marecic has been inactive....

and as far as I know, this Ronnie Cameron has been too.

Has anyone actually ever heard about him doing anything?

This is a great move! Smelley looked to have good hands in the preseason and he cant block any worse than Smith or Marecic. To Smiths credit he isn't a real FB though. Smelley and Trich know each other well from him opening holes for Trent in college. Hopefully Smelley can get some good blocking and help the running game between the tackles where it hasnt been very good this season.

hells yeah great move. love me sum Smelley.

he matched up great against the opponents depth in preseason and now has 3/4 of a season of NFL weight training, coaching, and exp.

dude's gonna do some big things.

Trich has gotta be excited. ala Cooper/Weeden let's see if Heckert's philosophy of drafting pairs gives us an edge.

anyone know where Baby Gronk ended up? he was a solid player.

re: Alex Smith is like a mini o-tackle -- he's a great "blocking" tight end and excellent hand-fighting and occupying his man...but he has below avg hands at catching the ball and is just not capable of moving guys much or ever blowing people up like Vickers did. we need to fill the hole at FB with a veteran bandaid asap. i like Smelley as a tight end in the NFL, but i'm open to anyone who can upgrade a position, anytime, anywhere. Smith was an upgrade over Owen...but neither has that fireplug physique needed to open holes in the AFCN.

The Browns little problem at running the football could be helped considerably by a decent fullback. Marecic sucked and Smith has really been playing out of position.

I hope that Smelly can make a difference.

Marecic has been inactive....

and as far as I know, this Ronnie Cameron has been too.

Has anyone actually ever heard about him doing anything?

You mean Mari-suck. Sorry if I'm being a tad ornery. To date Owen has been Heckert's biggest bust. About time Shurmur grew a set ant told Tommy as much.

WHAT? Hardesty is looking to be the player we were hoping for...Do you watch the Browns at all?

I do not get why Hardesty and some other Browns players take so much heat from the fans (The guy got injured give him a break. He has done his rehab and is starting to pay dividends.), but clowns like Hillis get immortalized.

WHAT? Hardesty is looking to be the player we were hoping for...Do you watch the Browns at all?

Exactly. Hardesty has a better YPC than Richardson. My untrained eye says he's currently got better explosion through the hole than T-Rich on top of it.

I do not get why Hardesty and some other Browns players take so much heat from the fans (The guy got injured give him a break. He has done his rehab and is starting to pay dividends.), but clowns like Hillis get immortalized.

Hardesty is a great secondary back. If you don't think so you are on something

WHAT??!! Dude, put down the bong.

And this is the typical fan looking through Brown colored shades. The guy has had, what, around 3 descent games this year. He was a second round pick for fucks sake. Those kinds of players need to be starters, not back ups. It was a wasted pick and it was so obvious that it was a wasted pick that the team traded up one spot to draft another RB at #3 if you all forgot. Ya the guy we drafted to be our franchise RB 3 years ago has finally managed to stay healthy for a few games and work as the #2 guy. Sorry if I consider that a bigger bust than a wasted 4th round FB pick.

Gonna have to agree that Hardesty has looked good this season, but his performance deserves to be taken with a grain of salt, he has done absolute dick until this year....so lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I will say 4.5 YPC is nice, if he got the ball 20 times a game......for now, hes only getting it 5-6 times at most, so that stat doesnt say much

Gonna have to agree that Hardesty has looked good this season, but his performance deserves to be taken with a grain of salt, he has done absolute dick until this year....so lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I will say 4.5 YPC is nice, if he got the ball 20 times a game......for now, hes only getting it 5-6 times at most, so that stat doesnt say much

Also how much of that success is because of Richardson. Those guys who are off speed RB that get about 5-8 carries a game are normally supposed to have a higher YPC. It's because it throw defenses off balance when they are geared to take on a power guy and then someone with fast and fresher legs comes in.

I just wanna know when do we trade in shurms for a 6 pack and subway sandwich.

I wouldn't give a 6 pack for that loser. Well maybe Busch light

Archived