THE BROWNS BOARD

The Hobbit

hoorta

Consider my bias, as I'm a hardcore Tolkien fanatic, and I rarely head for the big screen.

I'll use LOTR as my baseline. Probably the biggest problem is- how do you top some of the greatest 9 hours of film making? In that respect, at least on the first viewing, The Hobbit comes up short.

I had fears hearing the rumors Jackson was going to seriously deviate from the book. Not the case- with a few exceptions, that I'll get to. Complaints- I have some. I'll get the big negative out of the way first. The pace of the movie- despite some pretty epic battle scenes- seemed agonizingly slow, and made the movie feel far longer than it's actual run time. Bilbo signing on with the Dwarves seemed like forever. With 10 years gone by, I was hoping for a little better on the special effects too. I thought the battle scenes were a tad overblown, but if World of Warcraft is your thing- you'll love them. Jackson turns the Wizard Radagast into a bumbling goober- which he really wasn't in the book. Add in, us Loremasters know Thorin killed Azog way back at the Battle of Moria- and Azog is still very much alive and (sort of) well in the Hobbit. I have a damn good idea what's going to happen to him in Chapter II. I don't get Jackson's fascination of turning the Head orcs into caricatures either. Gothmog in LOTR could pass for a mutilated Porky Pig- there's several similar new vermin awaiting you in The Hobbit.

Now to the pluses- the cinematography is great. For those who aren't Tolkien fanatics, Jackson did a terrific job filling in the back story. Did a good job of "adultifying" the Hobbit, which was written more on the level of a kid's Fairy Tale. For those who are Loremasters, there's plenty of stuff in the movie verbatim right out of the book. (Gollum & Bilbo) Did a pretty good job differentiating the 13 dwarves- and even Moi couldn't rattle off all their names without a lot of thinking- and as in LOTR Jackson dead on pegged how each of them were described in the book. Kudos for that.

I'll have to see it a couple more times at least- but first blush it's a B, B- flick.

Consider my bias, as I'm a hardcore Tolkien fanatic, and I rarely head for the big screen.

I'll use LOTR as my baseline. Probably the biggest problem is- how do you top some of the greatest 9 hours of film making? In that respect, at least on the first viewing, The Hobbit comes up short.

I had fears hearing the rumors Jackson was going to seriously deviate from the book. Not the case- with a few exceptions, that I'll get to. Complaints- I have some. I'll get the big negative out of the way first. The pace of the movie- despite some pretty epic battle scenes- seemed agonizingly slow, and made the movie feel far longer than it's actual run time. Bilbo signing on with the Dwarves seemed like forever. With 10 years gone by, I was hoping for a little better on the special effects too. I thought the battle scenes were a tad overblown, but if World of Warcraft is your thing- you'll love them. Jackson turns the Wizard Radagast into a bumbling goober- which he really wasn't in the book. Add in, us Loremasters know Thorin killed Azog way back at the Battle of Moria- and Azog is still very much alive and (sort of) well in the Hobbit. I have a damn good idea what's going to happen to him. in Chapter II. I don't get Jackson's fascination of turning the Head orcs into caricatures either. Gothmog in LOTR could pass for a mutilated Porky Pig- there's several similar new vermin awaiting you in The Hobbit.

Now to the pluses- the cinematography is great. For those who aren't Tolkien fanatics, Jackson did a terrific job filling in the back story. Did a good job of "adultifying" the Hobbit, which was written more on the level of a kid's Fairy Tale. For those who are Loremasters, there's plenty of stuff in the movie verbatim right out of the book. (Gollum & Bilbo) Did a pretty good job differentiating the 13 dwarves- and even Moi couldn't rattle off all their names without a lot of thinking- and as in LOTR Jackson dead on pegged how each of them were described in the book. Kudos for that.

I'll have to see it a couple more times at least- but first blush it's a B, B- flick.

Maybe I'm in the minority but LOTR bored the crap out of me. I read all the books (forced myself. Tolkien's old timey writing and prediliction to use a lot of songs is rough) and though the movies were true enough, I just couldn't force myself to care about frodo, samwise, gandalf and crew. I don't have extremely high hopes for the hobbit either, I just expect smaug to look cool and the goblins better sing "down down to goblin town Ho-ho" or the movie fails.

Archived