THE BROWNS BOARD

Heckert's Track Record

TheClevelandSound

Went over all of his draft picks he ever made while in Cleveland to this point. Ranked them in 3 categories: Boom, Decent, Bust.

BOOM

Joe Haden (1)

TJ Ward (2)

Phil Taylor (1)

Jabaal Sheard (2)

Greg Little (2)

Trent Richardson (1)

Mitchell Schwartz (2)

Billy Winn (6)

DECENT

James-Michael Johnson (4)

Travis Benjamin (4)

John Hughes (3)

Brandon Weeden (1)

Montario Hardesty (2)

Colt McCoy (3)

Shawn Lauvao (3)

Jordan Cameron (4)

Buster Skrine (5)

Eric Hagg (7)

Brad Smelley (7)

BUST

Emmanuel Acho (6)

Ryan Miller (5)

Larry Asante (5)

Carlton Mitchell (6)

Clifton Geathers (6)

Owen Marecic (4)

Best Pick: Joe Haden

Worst Pick: Owen Marecic

So here lies the trend: Heckert has hit the mark where it matters. All of his first and second round picks have been a success except for Weeden and Hardesty, and those two are still yet to be determined. His serviceable players are in the mid rounds, as they should be. And his busts are in the late rounds. So the man is clearly doing his job.

All Haslem and Banner need to do is look at the facts.

Its a little early to say Acho is a bust the guy has been injured all season and got hurt half way through preseason. Same with Miller, he's a tackle and sure as hell isn't going to start over the two we have. So id not pass judgement on those two so quickly. The only bad draft pick i think Heckert has made is Owen Marecic who has been inactive the last 5 or so games and is a horrible blocking FB and has hands of stone. He's also reached in the draft and taken guys earlier than they should have been taken. However, i think if he continues to be the gm and the more talent he has the less he'll worry about getting his guy and take him where he's intended to take him. ALA Weeden in the first, Hughes in the second, Hardesty in the second.

PS you also dont have Gordon on this list and right now id say you can classify him as a boom pick!

You cant judge or Miller yet and they are late round picks so if they fail are they really bust? I think Miller has potential in the future, not sure about Acho though. Hughes we all thought was a stretch as a 3rd round pick. I think he has played worthy of that round selection. Hardesty, for the return we have gotten is somewhere between decent and bust, that could change if his play continues to improves. I agree Maraecic appears to be the worst pick. Looks like a pretty good record overall to me. I know that Banner has already publicly said that Heckert is an excellent talent evaluator, so I am hoping that means he stays, Banner should stay away from him having roster control, he isn't a personnel guy. I really hope we don't jack things up in the off season.

Miller's listed as a tackle behind Schwartz on the browns depth chart. He played some guard in college but he's a full fledged tackle. He also was a 6th round pick. He only played some guard in college because Nate solder pats left tackle took his spot when he was injured. The guy could turn out to be very servicable. He's got the size 6'7 330.

Heckert seems to be forcing their hand. He says he want say over the 53 man roster. I think him and Banner dated when they were in philly and it is now a bad break up.

I see Heckert leaving...

Depending on how we finish the season. If we go 2-1 or run the table Shurmur stays

I would add a category such as too soon. You have a lot of guys who haven't had a chance to show what they can do in the bust and decent section. Like how to you know Acho is a bust when he has been on IR as a 6th round pick all year and how Smelley is decent when he literally just got off the practice squad. I also don't understand how a 2nd round pick (as in someone who needs to be a starter) is in the decent category when after 2 1/2 seasons he is the back up and replaced by a high first round pick because the FO/Coaches had zero faith in him.

Went over all of his draft picks he ever made while in Cleveland to this point. Ranked them in 3 categories: Boom, Decent, Bust.

BOOM

Joe Haden (1)

TJ Ward (2)

Phil Taylor (1)

Jabaal Sheard (2)

Greg Little (2)

Trent Richardson (1)

Mitchell Schwartz (2)

Billy Winn (6)

DECENT

Travis Benjamin (4)

John Hughes (3)

Brandon Weeden (1)

Montario Hardesty (2)

Colt McCoy (3)

Shawn Lauvao (3)

Jordan Cameron (4)

Buster Skrine (5)

Eric Hagg (7)

Brad Smelley (7)

BUST

Emmanuel Acho (6)

Ryan Miller (5)

Larry Asante (5)

Carlton Mitchell (6)

Clifton Geathers (6)

Owen Marecic (4)

So here lies the trend: Heckert has hit the mark where it matters. All of his first and second round picks have been a success except for Weeden and Hardesty, and those two are still yet to be determined. His serviceable players are in the mid rounds, as they should be. And his busts are in the late rounds. So the man is clearly doing his job.

I agree with you for the most part but Colt McCoy is a bust he is a 3rd round pick thats not going to play and I would say this pick wasn't on Heckert. Montario Hardesty is a bust as well fast 2nd round pick thats done nothing but get hurt and we knew that when we drafted him.

That a QB and RB that we drafted in 2nd and 3rd rounds in 2010. I believe we drafted a QB and RB in the 1st round in 2012.

I feel like Haslam is a smart man, and should want Heckert to stay. Banner seems like more of a "know-it-all" guy who I really haven't been a fan of since it was announced he was the new CEO. With rumors of Mike Lombardi coming to Cleveland I just see that as a massive downgrade at GM. Those rumors seem to carry the same weight as the Banner rumors did before he was hired.

Now about Heckert's draft resume. It's easy for people to argue that because the Browns were so bad, they had the luxury of high picks. But it's been that way since '99 and he seems to be the only one to bring consistent talent in on a yearly basis.

BOOM

Joe Haden (1)

TJ Ward (2)

Phil Taylor (1)

Jabaal Sheard (2)

Greg Little (2)

Trent Richardson (1)

Mitchell Schwartz (2)

Billy Winn (6)

DECENT

Travis Benjamin (4)

John Hughes (3)

Brandon Weeden (1)

Montario Hardesty (2)

Colt McCoy (3)

Shawn Lauvao (3)

Jordan Cameron (4)

Buster Skrine (5)

Eric Hagg (7)

Brad Smelley (7)

BUST

Emmanuel Acho (6)

Ryan Miller (5)

Larry Asante (5)

Carlton Mitchell (6)

Clifton Geathers (6)

Owen Marecic (4)

If I'd disagree with any of your classifications, it would be splitting hairs. The real skill comes with finding players in the late rounds and undrafted- guys like Tony Romo, James Harrison, and Antonio Gates. How do teams find those guys? Heckert is grading well on my scale. LB Robertson looks like a good player.

Archived