THE BROWNS BOARD

Rise Of The Guardians Review

Rise of the Guardians

Dreamworks/Paramount

PG 97 min

Yeah, I know, tis the season, Santa Claus is coming to town blah blah blah. But you know what? As much as I try to Scrooge it up I'm still a sucker for the holiday seasons. I'd only seen the trailers for this one but I was pretty sure I knew what to expect. Quality wise I was prepared for yet another swing at the champ, Disney that is, by the upstart Challenger Dreamworks. Something slightly better than SANTA CLAUS VS THE MARTIANS.

Oh I figured at least a B minus just from the impressive cast. Well, gang, I had two surprises. First of all I really really enjoyed it. Second guess what? This isn't even a Christmas movie! Nope. Even though one of the main characters is jolly old Saint Nick himself this is more of a, how do I put it, Jack Frost saves Easter movie. Seriously.

And while I often gripe that everybodys graphics look good these days, this looks better tthan most.

Now one of the plot threads is a bit shopworn. Anybody remember tinker bell in Peter Pan? Yep that's the idea. When kids don’t believe in legends they cease to exist.

Here's what happens. Apparently the boogie man (Jude Law) has figured out the Sandmans technique and is turning all the children's dreams into nightmares. The man in the moon has decided to pull his mission impossible task force together to solve this problem. These guardians consist of the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman and of course the big man from the North Pole Santa Claus himself. To everyone's surprise a new member has been added to the team, namely Jack Frost. While the others may be puzzled Jack is even more perplexed.

And that is one of the major quests of the film, the self realization of Jack Frost.

Anyway it's nice to see that even if it's a bit cliche ridden and string pulling the story is not 100 percent predictable.

I enjoyed Hugh Jackman's Easter Bunny as a tough guy and the bickering between he and Jack Frost which reminded me a bit of Scotty and doctor McCoy. And I especially liked Alec Baldwin's take on Santa, not be jolly old elf we are used to but an Eastern European type who takes no crap from anyone. At any rate the manipulation worked on me.

I should make a couple points here. First I'm sure there will be some religious folks who might take offense at the idea that both Christmas and Easter are relegated to the same spiritual level as the arrival of the Tooth Fairy, but I'm sure my Christian friends have seen worse than that. Second I'd imagine this may be a bit dark, frightening and possibly even confusing for little children. Anyway I loved it.

A

WSS

You should review wreck it ralph. It went over better with my fam them guardians although both were fun.

I imagine it was probably great.

Sometimes if I miss 1 of the bigger late release is it gets by me as I need to do more current films.

But this is 1 I will try to catch at some point.

Looks like lots of good stuff coming next week.

Quentin Tarantino often surprises me since it always seems from the trailers his movies will be horse s*** but turned out to be cool.

Also I'm really looking forward to Les miserables.

WSS

Archived