THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Qb Josh Johnson

CrocodileDilemma

I have not heard of this guy.

And who the hell are the Browns going to have to play defensive backfield? I mean, they almost literally have no safeties. Here is the depth chart:

LCB: Haden, Skrine, Prince Miller

RCB: Brown, Wade, Bademosi

FS: Hagg

SS: Gipson, Ventrone

There is no FS backup, and the little Gipper is an undrafted rookie FA. TJ Ward, Young are on IR, Patterson cut. Jesus, I hate to see what BR is going to do with this group if he has time to throw. At least, as far as I know his WRs are healthy, aren't they?

I have not heard of this guy.

He came up with Tampa and was briefly in the starting QB competition there.

He was coached by Jim Harbaugh in college, but was cut by Harbaugh before the season this year and no one picked him up.

Very athletic, they considered him a real prospect down here in Tampa, but he did not make the most of his opportunities on Sundays.

And who the hell are the Browns going to have to play defensive backfield? I mean, they almost literally have no safeties. Here is the depth chart:

LCB: Haden, Skrine, Prince Miller

RCB: Brown, Wade, Bademosi

FS: Hagg

SS: Gipson, Ventrone

There is no FS backup, and the little Gipper is an undrafted rookie FA. TJ Ward, Young are on IR, Patterson cut. Jesus, I hate to see what BR is going to do with this group if he has time to throw. At least, as far as I know his WRs are healthy, aren't they?

Gipson was out with injury this week, hence my comment about Cribbs.

As far as I know, Hagg and the special teamer Ventrone are the only safeties on the roster.

Maybe Bademofo and the Prince formerly known as a Cornerback will play back there too.

Zombo

BEREA, Ohio -- Brandon Weeden isn't the only Browns quarterback with a shoulder injury heading into Sunday's game in Pittsburgh.

Colt McCoy also suffered a shoulder injury in Denver, and both quarterbacks will be idle today during practice.

The Browns have promoted Thad Lewis from their practice squad, and he'll take all the first team reps today.

They've also signed free agent quarterback Josh Johnson. To make room, they placed safety Usama Young on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He's likely to undergo surgery, coach Pat Shurmur said.

Shurmur said the injuries to Weeden and Trent Richardson (ankle) were not as serious as originally thought and that neither will require surgery. He has not ruled out either for the season finale in Pittsburgh.

If Lewis starts, it will be his first action in a regular season game.

Shurmur said McCoy came in this week complaining of shoulder pain, and that it might be as serious as Weeden's injury. McCoy relieved Weeden in the third quarter of Sunday's 34-12 loss in Denver and was sacked four times.

He's believed to have injured the shoulder on the last play of the game, a 7-yard sack by Wesley Woodyard. He was seen wincing getting up from that sack.

Richardson suffered his ankle injury on the second-last play of the game, when former Browns safety Mike Adams blitzed and drove McCoy to the ground. On the way down, McCoy fell on Richardson's ankle, and Richardson had to be carted off.

He left the Stadium in a walking boot.

Several players were angry that Shurmur called three timeouts on the Broncos' final drive and passed every down on the Browns' last drive, which they felt put players such as Richardson and McCoy at risk.

With Young out, rookie Tashaun Gipson (foot) might be back in action at safety. He sat out last week's game. The starters would most likely be Gipson and Eric Hagg.

Young played in 13 games with 11 starts this year. He recorded 52 tackles, 1.5 sacks, three interceptions, seven passes defensed and a fumble recovery.

Johnson was a fifth-round draft choice of Tampa Bay in 2008. He was with the Buccaneers for four seasons before signing with San Francisco this past offseason. He was released by the 49ers on August 31. In four years with the Bucs, he played in 26 games with five starts. He completed 96 of 177 passes for 1,042 yards with five touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Four of Johnson’s five starts came during the 2009 season. He also has rushed for 254 yards on 37 attempts in his NFL career.

The 6-3, 205-pound Johnson played at the University of San Diego (2004-07) where he set school career records for passing yards (9,699), touchdown passes (113), completions (724) and attempts (1,065). He also rushed for 1,864 yards and 19 touchdowns during his collegiate career. Born May 15, 1986, Johnson is a native of Oakland, Calif., where he attended Oakland Tech High School. He will wear No. 8.

In addition, the club signed defensive back Jordan Mabin to the practice squad.

Originally signed by Baltimore as an undrafted free agent on May 15, 2012, Mabin spent two weeks on the Ravens’ practice squad this season. He appeared in 51 career games at Northwestern (2008-11) where he recorded 252 tackles, seven interceptions three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. Born October 31, 1988, the 5-11, 185-pound Mabin is a native of Northfield Center, Ohio, where he attended Nordonia High School.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/cleveland_browns_qbs_brandon_w.html

This is awesome.

Steelers failed to beat us with their third-stringer, now we are going to beat them with ours.

Zombo

Anyone but Colt

"Several players were angry that Shurmur called three timeouts on the Broncos' final drive and passed every down on the Browns' last drive, which they felt put players such as Richardson and McCoy at risk."

Shurmur, seems to me, does not have the insticts to be a hc. Or a play caller. Apparently, he doesn't get fooling a defense.

He's lost the players for all his cya nonsense.

This team now desperately needs a genuine, smart, adaptable, intuitive, AGGRESSIVE coaching staff.

"Several players were angry that Shurmur called three timeouts on the Broncos' final drive and passed every down on the Browns' last drive, which they felt put players such as Richardson and McCoy at risk."

Shurmur, seems to me, does not have the insticts to be a hc. Or a play caller. Apparently, he doesn't get fooling a defense.

He's lost the players for all his cya nonsense.

This team now desperately needs a genuine, smart, adaptable, intuitive, AGGRESSIVE coaching staff.

This team needs a coaching staff that will use the talent they have and game plan for that talent. NOT A WESTCOAST 1988 OFFENSE THAT DOESN'T WORK IN 2012

Yea. These offenses will be extra pathetic this Sunday. The difference will be our injury-riddled defense giving the rapist wide open throws, and pass interference penalties all day.

24-9 Steelers... f***

Can't wait for this offseason, hopefully we get a few more things to be excited about next year.

Archived