THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmer And Heckert Are Gone Effective Monday

ClevelandFanForLife

God dammit dude, change your title, you made me think they got let go tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8791683/cleveland-browns-let-go-coach-pat-shurmur-gm-tom-heckert-report-says

Updated: December 29, 2012, 8:22 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Browns are expected to clean house Monday, letting go of both coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Saturday, citing league sources.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The newspaper reported that Shurmur and Heckert either will be fired or will part ways with new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III and CEO Joe Banner. Cleveland (5-10) wraps up its season with a road game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

Shurmur's status became tenuous once Haslam took over the team and Mike Holmgren exited the organization earlier this season.

Sources told the Plain Dealer that Shurmur and Heckert both know they will be let go but have not been informed of the decision.

"Listen, I get this, and my concerns are for my team and making sure that we do all the right things during the game to give our guys the best chance to win," the 47-year-old Shurmur, who is 9-22 in two seasons, told the Plain Dealer. "That's where I'm at. We have not won enough football games, and I know that's the way this things works, but in our situation I see improvement and I'll leave it at that."

In his first season, Shurmur didn't have an offseason to get to know his players, much less install an offense, because of the lockout. In his second season, he started three rookies on offense, including quarterback Brandon Weeden and running back Trent Richardson.

Cleveland began this season 0-5. The Browns persevered, though, and actually orchestrated a three-game winning streak late in the year.

The whole Heckert thing pisses me off. He has obviously drafted well during his tenure with the team but the players themselves have been mismanaged by the coaching staff, mainly Shurmer. His two worst pick ups thus far are Weeden and McCoy and it is public knowledge that he had no control over drafting those two players and that Holmgren pulled rank on him to make those picks happen.

Nope, Banner is going to bitch route and saying that he doesn't want to fire Heckert, saying that he thinks that Heckert has done a good job. What he is doing is stripping Heckert of his power over collecting players (through the draft, FA, and trades) and demoting him to a glorified personnel director while knowing full well that it goes against what is written into Heckert's contract. Because Heckert came to Cleveland in the first place to have actual power on player pickup he isn't going to stick around when he has the legal means to get out of his contract due to Banner going against it. I would respect Banner so much more if he stopped being such a bitch and just came out and fired Heckert and told everyone why he is doing it. He doesn't want Heckert because they butted heads in Philly. Banner doesn't care that Heckert has proven to be a good drafter, he just wants him gone so he can install his own little puppet GM who has no power past scouting college players.

I don't get why everyone is so excited about new ownership when it includes bringing Banner along. He literally jumped ship from Philly right before it sank. Most of the people that he hired to work underneath him are now being fired because of how poorly the team is playing and how the team is being ran. He has ZERO experience successfully scouting and drafting players and he obviously has so little experience in this vital area that he had to go and spend millions of dollars to get himself involved in an investment group who bought partial ownership of the Browns. If this didn't happen, Banners only hope would have been to have a job for the NFL. He had zero chance working for any actual team, especially in a role that had him signing, trading, and drafting players.

Why should anyone here be happy about new ownership that puts in place a team president who is acting as a GM when he has zero experience with player pickup and who also plans to hire a GM (Lombardi) who is only going to act as a glorified personnel director and is so damn bad at his job that no NFL team would offer this guy a job at any level in their organization for the past 5 YEARS!

Since Ghoolie makes all these damn predictions all the time, here is one of mine. Mark my words, regardless of how fantastic our new head couch might be, even if he turns out to be the best head coach the NFL has ever seen, over the next five seasons we will not see the playoffs because of terrible trades, FA pick ups, and terrible draft picks. At the end of those five years Haslam will finally force Banner out as president and fire Lombardi, if not sooner.

i don't get the haslam banner side-kick thing. maybe ballpeen can explain it to me again.

i (don't but) HATE the fact that these owners put soooo much stock in these team PREZs that they get handcuffed by every move they make. and in most cases business owners are so stubborn that they stick with a guy too long while their guy promises stability and growth but like holmgren will fire somebody 2 years into a 5 year plan.

banner is the one guy now that has to prove something to me.

hopefully jimmy haslam isn't blinded by the hand-shake back room old boy mentality and when sees a pariah will flush it instead of letting a chump bring in his boys just for the sake of it.

firing a bunch of staff just to do so goes a long way to show that he'll hire the same way.

don't like him.

BTW: espn is running the firings on their under screen ticker 9 hours before our last game. first time this year i've seen espn mention the browns at all this year.

scumbags.

i don't get the haslam banner side-kick thing. maybe ballpeen can explain it to me again.

I don't recall explaining it the first time.;)

Haslam needed a NFL executive....be it Banner or somebody else. I do think the NFL introduced Banner to Haslam and the two hit it off.

I will say this, I don't care if it was Banner or somebody else, nothing would be different, both Shurmer and Heck would be canned. It's just the way it works.

Biscotti kept most of Modells people in Balt, but then again, they were winning. I don't remember the previous team sale, but my impression is a new owner brings in his own team, especially if the previous team has been crappy, as has ours.

I am not going to get all worked up imagining how bad things will be until it works out that way. What I do know is the team is in last place yet again and Heckert has to be a part of the reason. He can't be insulated from the problem.

I don't recall explaining it the first time.;)

Haslam needed a NFL executive....be it Banner or somebody else. I do think the NFL introduced Banner to Haslam and the two hit it off.

I will say this, I don't care if it was Banner or somebody else, nothing would be different, both Shurmer and Heck would be canned. It's just the way it works.

Biscotti kept most of Modells people in Balt, but then again, they were winning. I don't remember the previous team sale, but my impression is a new owner brings in his own team, especially if the previous team has been crappy, as has ours.

I am not going to get all worked up imagining how bad things will be until it works out that way. What I do know is the team is in last place yet again and Heckert has to be a part of the reason. He can't be insulated from the problem.

thanks. yeah i don't know if you had explained the connection between the 2, only that you have more insight of haslam than most Plain Dealer reporters could only dream of.

not saying flushing the toilet on the coaching staff and other personnel isn't the correct thing to do, just hoping that they can separate the good from the bad and maybe keep those who deserve keeping....not just get rid of someone cuz they have ties to someone he/they don't like.

politics in the football biz IMO doesn't work i.e. holmgren-shurmur.

While its obvious why shurmur has to go its unfortunate that heckert is being dismissed..

Personally i think joe banner sucks and will have a difficult time luring anyone with true potential to cleveland..

So buckle in for another 5 years of newbie coach 101 on the job training or an existing loser HC that never did and never will know how to win..

The whole Heckert thing pisses me off. He has obviously drafted well during his tenure with the team but the players themselves have been mismanaged by the coaching staff, mainly Shurmer. His two worst pick ups thus far are Weeden and McCoy and it is public knowledge that he had no control over drafting those two players and that Holmgren pulled rank on him to make those picks happen.

Nope, Banner is going to bitch route and saying that he doesn't want to fire Heckert, saying that he thinks that Heckert has done a good job. What he is doing is stripping Heckert of his power over collecting players (through the draft, FA, and trades) and demoting him to a glorified personnel director while knowing full well that it goes against what is written into Heckert's contract. Because Heckert came to Cleveland in the first place to have actual power on player pickup he isn't going to stick around when he has the legal means to get out of his contract due to Banner going against it. I would respect Banner so much more if he stopped being such a bitch and just came out and fired Heckert and told everyone why he is doing it. He doesn't want Heckert because they butted heads in Philly. Banner doesn't care that Heckert has proven to be a good drafter, he just wants him gone so he can install his own little puppet GM who has no power past scouting college players.

I don't get why everyone is so excited about new ownership when it includes bringing Banner along. He literally jumped ship from Philly right before it sank. Most of the people that he hired to work underneath him are now being fired because of how poorly the team is playing and how the team is being ran. He has ZERO experience successfully scouting and drafting players and he obviously has so little experience in this vital area that he had to go and spend millions of dollars to get himself involved in an investment group who bought partial ownership of the Browns. If this didn't happen, Banners only hope would have been to have a job for the NFL. He had zero chance working for any actual team, especially in a role that had him signing, trading, and drafting players.

Why should anyone here be happy about new ownership that puts in place a team president who is acting as a GM when he has zero experience with player pickup and who also plans to hire a GM (Lombardi) who is only going to act as a glorified personnel director and is so damn bad at his job that no NFL team would offer this guy a job at any level in their organization for the past 5 YEARS!

Since Ghoolie makes all these damn predictions all the time, here is one of mine. Mark my words, regardless of how fantastic our new head couch might be, even if he turns out to be the best head coach the NFL has ever seen, over the next five seasons we will not see the playoffs because of terrible trades, FA pick ups, and terrible draft picks. At the end of those five years Haslam will finally force Banner out as president and fire Lombardi, if not sooner.

Good post, hopefully you're wrong as I'm sure you hope so too.

I'm indifferent on O'Brien while he did good things at Penn State, those first two games his team was terribly unprepared to play and their fundamentals

were awful,he did however turn things around nicely...I would imagine he would be the most hated man in Pennsylvania if he where to walk away from Happy Valley after all the love he

received there.

We need a (very) experienced HC.

No would-be-good-one-day from College, please...

Problem is any very experienced HC that is worth anything is already coaching a team and won't come here. Or they are retired and probably won't be coming back.

Maybe we can get a very experienced OC or DC.

Problem is any very experienced HC that is worth anything is already coaching a team and won't come here. Or they are retired and probably won't be coming back.

Maybe we can get a very experienced OC or DC.

You're absolutely right.

But Jeff Fisher was on the market one day: where were the Browns that day?

Dammit! Fisher would be my man to turn a franchise upside down the way we need it to be done.

Well you can always go the "i'm gonna be a Steelers Bitch" for the next five years while they turn it around so you can be a Bandwagon fan like the rest of their fanbase. So far we have seen absolutely nothing from the new FO and already a portion of the fanbase is screaming "woe is me, my panties are in a bunch". Guess what, we are 9-23 over the course of the last 2 seasons. How about wait until at least we know what direction the team will be going in before talking about the next blowup....pathetic and ridiculous...CONGRATZ

Archived