THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent Richardson Had Broken Ribs

cambridgeho

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8796643/trent-richardson-cleveland-browns-played-9-games-broken-ribs

BEREA, Ohio -- Trent Richardson's rookie season was productive -- and painful.

Cleveland's running back revealed Monday that he played most of his first season in the NFL with two broken ribs, an injury that not only made it tough to play but even sleep.

"I still can't lay flat on my back or on my side," Richardson said, "but it's going to come around, and I know I'll be healthy before next season."

Richardson, who sat out Sunday's season finale in Pittsburgh with a sprained left ankle, hurt his ribs on Oct. 14 against Cincinnati. For the next three or four weeks he said he needed help getting into a shower and dressing. He slept propped up.

But he never missed a game and endured pain that would have sidelined most players.

"It's real tough playing like that and I'm the type of guy when anything is hurting, if I feel like I can play, I can play," he said. "I played the whole season like that. Talking to Jim Brown and a lot of guys they were like, `I don't know how you're doing it."

The Browns listed Richardson as having a rib cartilage injury throughout the season on their injury report. The first-round draft pick wore a protective jacket over his ribs and finished with 950 yards, breaking many of Hall of Famer Jim Brown's team rookie rushing records -- despite missing the entire exhibition season following arthroscopic knee surgery.

Richardson was mostly disappointed with his season. The injuries never allowed him to recover or get close to being 100 percent healthy. He didn't have the same explosiveness or quickness as he did in college as an All-American at Alabama.

He vowed to come back stronger next season.

"It's going to be a big year," he said. "It's going to be one of the biggest years for a running back that you've seen around here. And I know I'm talking big but that's just my goals and that's my expectations. Like I said, to be a player like I am and to have the kids, you've got to understand I just had my first son and you got to realize I'm a man that came from nothing and always trying to make something out of nothing, so I think it's going to be big for me next year."

Richardson's toughness impressed his teammates.

"It's unbelievable," rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden said. "Most guys would completely shut it down and say, `Oh, I'm getting paid.' That's not his thing. He's a competitor. He knew how tough a player he was, how much he meant to this team. I applaud him. It's amazing what he was able to do with such a beat-up body."

Lets hope he can live up to his expectations! Go Browns!!!!1

Whatever dude. If a guy says he's injured, you let him sit. In the case of Hillis, I was the one calling for him to sit since he had a hamstring injury. Given what we've heard since he left, and how quickly he recovered from it, all signs point to him saying he was hurt in an attempt to get more money.

Makes sense. He didnt look like the same guy in all the highlights. Hopefully his dance feet are due to the injury and not the way he runs.

His season was disappointing. Hopefully he lights it up next year.

He is a strong dude who's hard to take down. Glad to see the toughness and the desire to play and not be a diva. That's heart.

I will NOT criticize Trent Richardson for playing. Great players WANT to play & are hard to hold off the field, but that's why a STRONG LEADER, (HC), is so important. He should have been acknowledged for his desire & not allowed on the field until healed. This is far from the 1st time we saw Shurmur put his players at risk, plus throwing them under the bus for decreased performance at the same time.

I am so glad that POS is gone I can hardly stand it.

Mike

pulled ribs sucked. I can't imagine trying to play with broken ribs. At least he didn't puncture a lung!

Yeah, I have had a muscle pull on my rib cage. BREATHING was painful as hell & you're right, they risked a punctured lung by letting him play.

Mike

Do you guys really think they would've allowed him to play if there was a chance he could puncture a lung? I think some of you are a little looney. He wore a flak jacket, and the doctors said there was no risk to further injury. I'm sure it was painful as hell to play with and hindered his performance to a degree. But he did it and was effective and congrats to him for fighting through it. Thats the kind of attitude we need on this team.

"broken" doesn't necessarily mean "compound fracture".

They were obviously only "cracked" a bit.

Damn, TR. You still played that rough?

Daaaaaamn. Congrats, btw, Canton Mike. You called that one.

Wow. Another draft, a genuine kick ass aggressive coaching staff, and watch the hell out.

Next year.

"sigh"

Jesus fucking christ. Hope this 5 win season was worth a significant part of your shelf life.

It's some broken ribs dude.

It's not a career threatening injuriy.

Plus if his subway commercials are any indication he's nearly illiterate so I would expect that just the signing bonus is more then he'd make in his lifetime without football.

He's a tough guy with some natural ability, good for him.

Hillis was apparently sandbagging in order to get a better contract.

WSS

It's some broken ribs dude.

It's not a career threatening injuriy.

Plus if his subway commercials are any indication he's nearly illiterate so I would expect that just the signing bonus is more then he'd make in his lifetime without football.

He's a tough guy with some natural ability, good for him.

Hillis was apparently sandbagging in order to get a better contract.

WSS

Yeah, I realize Hillis was sandbagging because he's a piece of shit, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to give a player the benefit of the doubt if he says he's injured.

As for it not being a career ending injury, if you get hit with a fractured rib, you have a much greater chance of puncturing a lung. Plus, every little beating he takes adds up. Running backs don't have long careers. If he's hurt, he should be resting.

Yeah, I realize Hillis was sandbagging because he's a piece of shit, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to give a player the benefit of the doubt if he says he's injured.

As for it not being a career ending injury, if you get hit with a fractured rib, you have a much greater chance of puncturing a lung. Plus, every little beating he takes adds up. Running backs don't have long careers. If he's hurt, he should be resting.

To your first point yes in 90 percent of the cases I agree with you. I think the big percentage of pro players want to be on the field realizing that time off gives someone a chance to take their job.

Like most of the teammates I felt Hillis was trying to hold out for more money.

True on the second count as well but remember no lungs were ever pierced. Maybe he was taking a chance but I would imagine the actual 2 part fracture would have made it impossible to play. Maybe not.

We've seen quarter backs suit up with a flak jacket with cracked ribs.

Anyhow here's hoping that all these injuries get a chance to heal over the off season and we see what he can do at 100 percent.

WSS

Archived