THE BROWNS BOARD

Roll The Dice...it's Crystall Ball Time Draft And Trade Rumors

brownfish

I'm assuming if Chip Kelly comes here he would want to get EJ Manuel...I would say wait for Murray but unless we go with Colt we have no chance of getting him...Philly, Jacksonville and the Chiefs will probably get top 3 again next year. EJ has the most upside and is like a BBB big black ben though i would put my money on EJ over Ben any day. Honestly, this is the worst draft for QBs in a long time. I think we will probably dump COLT and Weeden keep Thad dump Dawson and maybe make a blockbuster trade and get rid of Joe Thomas, Cribs is gone as well as MoMass and we probably can get something for that pile of crap Shurmur left behind.

I actually feel really good about next year...it's kind of a wierd feeling. We don't suck, I just don't feel the suckage like 3 years ago...With just a bit of fine tuning I think we are close...and it's not like that stupid Eagles team that Joe Banner managed that is a patchwork quilt of over achieving washed up wacky pack kids...I'm still holding onto my prediction Super Bowl 2015 Browns Baby BROWNS TOWN!!!!!!

if chip kelly is the guy haslam and banner choose i guarantee it's based around working with the talent which we have NOW which means he'll have to scrap his whole offense and hand it over to a coordinator along with his defense to a proven NFL coordinator.

So why bring him here at all.? we have no speed at RB, our WRS are not burners except TBenjamin, our linebackers are shit with no speed and only haden can hang with most receivers in the league. so that means a revamp of of about 6 units. where are these players coming from and how will we acquire them?

you are talking about 6 years of drafting and spending through free agency. by the time all of his pieces of his puzzle are in place the first pieces will be up for contract negotiations and the browns will have no cap space whatsoever. this isn't college recruiting bung-holes.

do any of you ever think anything through besides the fact of your dreamy fantasy "i want chip kelly" and then fall back asleep?

he would be a puppet to haslam and banner as shurmur was to holgren. you can teach an old dog new tricks and i dodn't think the guy would come here, change his game just to get paid nicely but have his balls snipped at the same time.

Just wasted 45 seconds of my life reading the worst post in the Brownsboard History and that is saying a lot!!!!!

Can someone please tell me when was the last time a 6 time pro bowl left tackle which is the most important spot on the O-line got traded. Someone????

Shit maybe we can call NE and see if we can trade for Tom Brady for our 3rd round pick, then turn around and trade for AP for our 4th round pick and our 2026 3rd round pick...

After that we can call San Fran and offer them both of our guards for Harbaugh and then we can trade Momass for Megatron

then the Browns are set!!!!

great just wasted 2 more minutes of my life

I'm assuming if Chip Kelly comes here he would want to get EJ Manuel...I would say wait for Murray but unless we go with Colt we have no chance of getting him...Philly, Jacksonville and the Chiefs will probably get top 3 again next year. EJ has the most upside and is like a BBB big black ben though i would put my money on EJ over Ben any day. Honestly, this is the worst draft for QBs in a long time. I think we will probably dump COLT and Weeden keep Thad dump Dawson and maybe make a blockbuster trade and get rid of Joe Thomas, Cribs is gone as well as MoMass and we probably can get something for that pile of crap Shurmur left behind.

I actually feel really good about next year...it's kind of a wierd feeling. We don't suck, I just don't feel the suckage like 3 years ago...With just a bit of fine tuning I think we are close...and it's not like that stupid Eagles team that Joe Banner managed that is a patchwork quilt of over achieving washed up wacky pack kids...I'm still holding onto my prediction Super Bowl 2015 Browns Baby BROWNS TOWN!!!!!!

if chip kelly is the guy haslam and banner choose i guarantee it's based around working with the talent which we have NOW which means he'll have to scrap his whole offense and hand it over to a coordinator along with his defense to a proven NFL coordinator.

So why bring him here at all.? we have no speed at RB, our WRS are not burners except TBenjamin, our linebackers are shit with no speed and only haden can hang with most receivers in the league. so that means a revamp of of about 6 units. where are these players coming from and how will we acquire them?

you are talking about 6 years of drafting and spending through free agency. by the time all of his pieces of his puzzle are in place the first pieces will be up for contract negotiations and the browns will have no cap space whatsoever. this isn't college recruiting bung-holes.

do any of you ever think anything through besides the fact of your dreamy fantasy "i want chip kelly" and then fall back asleep?

he would be a puppet to haslam and banner as shurmur was to holgren. you can teach an old dog new tricks and i dodn't think the guy would come here, change his game just to get paid nicely but have his balls snipped at the same time.

Your both idiots. First off Brownfish you are talking about getting rid of how many players on the team and us being in the supper bowl in two years. How the fuck does that make any sense. Then Mike, Kelly is the master of running a high tempo spread offense. While at Organ he has excelled at using the read option with mobile QB's and RB's his true gift comes from creating read spread plays in general and simplifying his offense so a toddler could memorize the plays. While he would have to hire an offensive and defensive coordinator I don't understand how he would just sit their and be a figure head. He would hire someone who runs his system and I'm sure he would still be the one designing the whole offense, if not also calling his own plays on game day. I'm not one to scream for Kelly as the new head coach, especially since no one really knows how a full fledged spread offense would work in the NFL, but I'm not one to shit all over the idea either.

Oh and Mike, if we went by your logic of it taking at least 6 years to get the players in place to be a contender to only then loose those players, then how could ANY team build a contender? How does any team retain the players they drafted? I mean if it takes 6 years to get everything in place then why in the hell were you bitching about Heckert and Holmgren when they only had 3 years? By your own words it should have taken them at least 3 more years to have everything set up.

I'm assuming if Chip Kelly comes here he would want to get EJ Manuel...I would say wait for Murray but unless we go with Colt we have no chance of getting him.. EJ has the most upside and is like a BBB big black ben though i would put my money on EJ over Ben any day.

Aaron Murray? The guy would be a third round pick at best and in no way would be good for a read option attack that Kelly would bring. Kelly is going to want a mobile guy but I hope he stays away from Manuel also. My money would be on Alex Smith coming in as Josh Johnson would be the best QB on our roster for his system. I also bet wed take a long hard look at drafting Warmack 6th overall, as every fullback on our roster would be useless in his system.

Oh and Mike, if we went by your logic of it taking at least 6 years to get the players in place to be a contender to only then loose those players, then how could ANY team build a contender? How does any team retain the players they drafted? I mean if it takes 6 years to get everything in place then why in the hell were you bitching about Heckert and Holmgren when they only had 3 years? By your own words it should have taken them at least 3 more years to have everything set up.

hey fuckface. don't you understand english? i said it would take at least 6 years to get kelly's type of players in here. you know fast and gutless? every player besides the lines would have to be track stars. what can we recruit a whole class of guys all at once? this isn't college football. so kelly would probably go for mccoy over weeden because he can scramble, correct, or would we draft one of his guys? at best you get 2-3 players a year that can actually play in this league.

i'm not shitting on the idea of offensive innovation BUT do you remember the run and shoot (probably not as you were still getting the snot wiped out of your nose)? how'd that work?

yes i see how with the right personnel (RG3) a college type of option offense can work here and there but watch out when your QB gets blind-sided in the NFL (which i predict will happen to griffin) you better have a backup plan and it ain't gonna be the option. guarantee it.

Jim Donovan, the voice of the Browns here in Cleveland says he thinks Nick Saban will be selected as our next coach.

Saban will be the coach if Saban decides he wants to be the coach. I am sure he is Haslams #1 choice, but the only reason he would leave Alabama, where he has his pick of the best talent and consistently returns to national championships, is if he wants to try and win a super bowl before he retires.

Saban will be the coach if Saban decides he wants to be the coach. I am sure he is Haslams #1 choice, but the only reason he would leave Alabama, where he has his pick of the best talent and consistently returns to national championships, is if he wants to try and win a super bowl before he retires.

I agree, but he'd have to wrestle with the fact he cannot have the control over a pro player like he does in college. He was in the pro game long enough to see that, maybe that's why he left the Dolphins.

I agree, but he'd have to wrestle with the fact he cannot have the control over a pro player like he does in college. He was in the pro game long enough to see that, maybe that's why he left the Dolphins.

And that is PRECISELY why Banner and Haslam in their press conference said that they would choose the HC first...and that the GM....or "player personell director" would be subservient to the Head Coach.

If Saban does come here.....like BB in NE, HE will have final say on who is drafted and which FAs are chosen etc., not the GM or PPD

I have noted this in another thread, but I will reiterate. The only convincing speculation that I have heard is that Aaron Kromer will be named the coach on Friday. It is way too early to talk draft and free agency considering we do not have a coach or a GM. However, if you want to talk about ranking positions of need here is my list:

1.CB

2.DE

3a.TE

3b.FS

4.OG

5.LB

6.WR

7.Punter

CB and DE are two of the most valuable four positions in football (QB and LT are the other two) so they are definitely higher priorities; not just because they are of need but because there are more important than a LB (in 4-3) or a FS. Skrine has not been reliable and Sheldon Brown is aging. CB is my number one priority. Especially, with the strength of the interior of our defensive line and the presence of Jabaal Sheard. We lack depth and talent at both TE and FS. I would lean towards TE because our offense is definitely behind the defense in terms of development and it would help Weeden in his sophomore campaign. Benjamin Watson has a history of head injuries, Cameron does not block well, and Alex Smith is our defacto fullback. FS has been a sore spot with me for years with this team. We need better play than Young has been producing. Our OG seem to have not been able to get the push needed to run effectively this year- especially short yardage situations- so an upgrade or two would be nice there. In my opinion our LB are not as bad as some would make it out. Gocong will be back and he is pretty good at run stopping. DQ is as solid as they come inside, and I like what I have seen from JMJ this year. We have a little depth with Maiava and Robertson and Fort (I cannot really grade Fort but Roberston has been a mixed bag. He has made some nice plays but has gotten burned pretty good as well. Time will tell). I am not sure what to expect out of Acho going forward as he has been injured all year. Regardless, I think that we can hold off on that position for another year in lieu of the previously mentioned bigger concerns. Lastly, depth at WR is always a plus and with the expected departure of MoMass and the unsure nature of Jordon Norwood's (who I thought looked decent before getting injured) future contributions, a compliment to Little and Gordon is needed. For me, the jury is still out for Cooper and Benjamin. Gordon and Little look to be quite a dynamic tandem moving forward, by the way. Also, Hodges has had a putrid year. Just about every Sunday I was yelling at him through the TV. The battle for field position was crucial in several games this year and he consistently screwed the pooch- figuratively and literally.

Go Browns!

I have noted this in another thread, but I will reiterate. The only convincing speculation that I have heard is that Aaron Kromer will be named the coach on Friday. It is way too early to talk draft and free agency considering we do not have a coach or a GM. However, if you want to talk about ranking positions of need here is my list:

1.CB

2.DE

3a.TE

3b.FS

4.OG

5.LB

6.WR

7.Punter

CB and DE are two of the most valuable four positions in football (QB and LT are the other two) so they are definitely higher priorities; not just because they are of need but because there are more important than a LB (in 4-3) or a FS. Skrine has not been reliable and Sheldon Brown is aging. CB is my number one priority. Especially, with the strength of the interior of our defensive line and the presence of Jabaal Sheard. We lack depth and talent at both TE and FS. I would lean towards TE because our offense is definitely behind the defense in terms of development and it would help Weeden in his sophomore campaign. Benjamin Watson has a history of head injuries, Cameron does not block well, and Alex Smith is our defacto fullback. FS has been a sore spot with me for years with this team. We need better play than Young has been producing. Our OG seem to have not been able to get the push needed to run effectively this year- especially short yardage situations- so an upgrade or two would be nice there. In my opinion our LB are not as bad as some would make it out. Gocong will be back and he is pretty good at run stopping. DQ is as solid as they come inside, and I like what I have seen from JMJ this year. We have a little depth with Maiava and Robertson and Fort (I cannot really grade Fort but Roberston has been a mixed bag. He has made some nice plays but has gotten burned pretty good as well. Time will tell). I am not sure what to expect out of Acho going forward as he has been injured all year. Regardless, I think that we can hold off on that position for another year in lieu of the previously mentioned bigger concerns. Lastly, depth at WR is always a plus and with the expected departure of MoMass and the unsure nature of Jordon Norwood's (who I thought looked decent before getting injured) future contributions, a compliment to Little and Gordon is needed. For me, the jury is still out for Cooper and Benjamin. Gordon and Little look to be quite a dynamic tandem moving forward, by the way. Also, Hodges has had a putrid year. Just about every Sunday I was yelling at him through the TV. The battle for field position was crucial in several games this year and he consistently screwed the pooch- figuratively and literally.

Go Browns!

I would probably put the need for an OLB a bit higher on my priority list than you...though certainly we need another CB and FS.

There are some "maybes" at OLB with Acho and JMJ and Gocong. But, yes, there aren't even many "maybes" at the other CB position.

So, this Dee Milliner might be a guy to look at at #6, if he is there.

I would probably put the need for an OLB a bit higher on my priority list than you...though certainly we need another CB and FS.

There are some "maybes" at OLB with Acho and JMJ and Gocong. But, yes, there aren't even many "maybes" at the other CB position.

So, this Dee Milliner might be a guy to look at at #6, if he is there.

Fair enough. I would not argue that we are getting great play out of our OLB. A lot of it will probably boil down to how our staff grades the talent available when we pick. I have been reading about corners and a lot of guys are pretty high on Xavier Rhodes, some even higher than they are on Milliner. From some of what I have read, Rhodes is a little bigger and more fluid. I would be OK with the Browns making a move to get a DE at 6 and one of these two corners later in the round. That would really solidify our defense.

If this team doesn't get a QB soon, then you can expect more 3-13 seasons. No matter who the coach is

Did Colt McNoodle arm throwing curveballs in the dirt against the Broncos finally get you to take his balls out of your mouth?

1.CB

2.DE

3a.TE

3b.FS

4.OG

5.LB

6.WR

7.Punter

Go Browns!

Aaron Kromers name isn't even being mentioned in the Cleveland media that I have heard. And do you really want an Offensive LINE coach as head coach?

If we get Kelly as our coach, Im thinking bring in Greg Jennings and Reggie Bush for our speed on O. Draft defense for most of the draft.

The only good thing Reggie Bush has done IN HIS LIFE, was to get rid of that whore Kardashian chick

Joe Thomas was the biggest fucking waste of a draft pick since we sent Warfield to Miami

His draft report pegged him as not a good run blocker and despite his size not being very powerful. There were better OL prospects in teh 3 and 4th rounds. The Browns absolutely cannot run left. Why? Because Thomas is a lard ass and gets mandanled anywhere else but head on. (His size helps straight on, but hurts him on angles)

Meanwhile, we fucking passed on Adrian Petersen..............

Winslow instead of Big Ben.................

If Joe Thomas has any marketability, we shoulc package him and Cribbs and get teh fuck rid of both of them.

Goolie I agree with a lot of things you say, but your a moron about Joe. Now I was pissed we passed on AP. Is AP better at RB of course he is. If he stays healthy could go down as the greatest back ever to play the game. fact is we have Joe and we can not change that, and the fact he is a 6 TIME pro bowler and rated the best Left tackle in the game. If Joe stays heathly he will more than likely break the Browns all time record for most pro bowlers and go to the HOF...It is what it is, again I said this in a another post when was the last time a 6 time pro bowl left tackle who is in his prime of his career got traded?? I will give you the answer NEVER. Cribbs is another story, he has declined and is starting to get on my nerves with his mouth. really do not care if he leaves.

The Browns are one of the weakest teams in teh NFL when it comes to playmakers, i.e. people who touch the ball.

There is not a star among the entire squad. They all need to be shit canned.

I think the Browns may be the youngest team in the NFL when it comes to playmakers, but not necessarily the weakest.

I think they were perhaps the weakest coached team with the offensive schemes utilizing to talents available, but I see the likes of TR, Little, Gordon, Benjamin, Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan

Cameron etc. etc. as being fully capable.

I think Weeden will come around with proper coaching. His arm is a weapon, he just has to have the experience to go with it.

And let's put it this way....now, this team's deficiencies on offense are not nearly as bad as their deficiencies at particular defensive positions.....and I believe it is those defensive positions that should be this team's priority in the draft. Cornerback, OLB, Free Safety. The Browns lost at least 3-5 games because of the poor play of some of their DBs.

A completely "for fun" scenario:

Get Chip Kelly.

Trade down. Draft Tavon Austin.

Austin + Travis Benjamin? Get real.

Draft Nassib in round 2 and Kenjon Barner in rd 4.

Trade Weeden to whatever team Shurmur goes to as a "veteran backup"

Who is Tavon Austin and Nassib? Don't know them. And if you get rid of Weeden you better have plans to put someone better in his place. Who is that gonna be?

Who is Tavon Austin and Nassib? Don't know them. And if you get rid of Weeden you better have plans to put someone better in his place. Who is that gonna be?

Tavon Austin is WVU WR and Nassib is the QB for Syracuse. Nassib is thought to be a great prospect

Aaron Kromers name isn't even being mentioned in the Cleveland media that I have heard. And do you really want an Offensive LINE coach as head coach?

I am not saying it is Gospel, but I will say that the media there stinks and does absolutely zero investigative journalism. All they do is speculate and jar off. I did hear his name mentioned on the radio yesterday in a list of people being interviewed. As for the offensive line coach, that does not mean anything. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach and I am sure that other positional coaches have had successful careers as head coaches. I would much rather have a guy like Kromer with NFL coaching experience (and NFL head coaching experience as the interim coach in Saint Louis) then some college coach come in and try and adapt to the NFL. Off of the top of my head the only guy currently who went from college to the pros as a coach with any success was Pete Carroll, and even he spent some time coaching in the NFL before his stint at USC. It also helps that the Seattle team he took over was pretty decent from the word go.

Archived