THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis interviews with Mangini and team executives.

Geech

I think we already knew this would happen, but the ball is actually rolling now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Ravens' Kokinis the leading candidate to be Browns GM

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Baltimore Ravens pro personnel director George Kokinis came to Cleveland on Monday, but not to start working for the Browns.

Kokinis, the leading candidate to be Cleveland's next general manager, met with Browns coach Eric Mangini and team executives but has not been offered the GM position, a person with knowledge of Kokinis' visit told The Associated Press.

Kokinis spent time with Mangini, a long-time friend, and other front-office members at the club's headquarters in Berea, Ohio, but he did not have a second interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner, said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because the sides are still negotiating.

It's possible Kokinis will meet with Lerner later this week, the person said.

The 41-year-old Kokinis emerged as the front-runner to replace the fired Phil Savage after Mangini expressed a desire to work with him to Lerner during the coach's interview after he was fired by the New York Jets. Kokinis and Mangini started their NFL careers in Cleveland during the 1990s and have remained close.

Lerner took the unusual step of hiring his coach before his top football executive. But he was quickly convinced Mangini was right for the job, and Lerner wants to make sure his coach and GM are a good match, which may be why Kokinis hasn't been hired yet.

It was assumed that once the Ravens were eliminated from the playoffs that Kokinis would immediately take over in Cleveland. While he may still get the job, the Browns are in no rush.

Kokinis attended Sunday's AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, but kept a low profile, staying on the field during warmups and watching the game from the coaches box, perhaps to avoid reporters. He returned to Maryland with the Ravens before arriving in Ohio on Monday afternoon.

Last week, Lerner interviewed James "Shack" Harris, Jacksonville's former vice president of player personnel, for his GM opening. Former New England vice president Scott Pioli, who took over as Kansas City's GM, and Browns director of player personnel T.J. McCreight also had interviews with Lerner.

Kokinis has spent the past six years working alongside Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome. He has been instrumental in Baltimore's success in free agency but has had a limited role in the college draft. A father of three, he began his career in 1991 in Cleveland's team operations department before becoming a scout.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press.

-Al

Croatianeye.jpg

Guest 88fingerslewy

I think the delay of the GM announcement is for two reasons. First, by all reports I've read the Kokinis split with baltimore is amicable and he recieved Ozzie's blessing. He was respected by the team and in light of a heart-breaking loss to the team whose name I don't say out loud, there's a respectful grace period. Secondly, I think todays sports news will be very light due to the inauguration, so it could very well be anounced tomorrow. As far as hammering out details, I don't think thats the case or he wouldn't have cleaned out his office in baltimore yesterday.

I think the delay of the GM announcement is for two reasons. First, by all reports I've read the Kokinis split with baltimore is amicable and he recieved Ozzie's blessing. He was respected by the team and in light of a heart-breaking loss to the team whose name I don't say out loud, there's a respectful grace period. Secondly, I think todays sports news will be very light due to the inauguration, so it could very well be anounced tomorrow. As far as hammering out details, I don't think thats the case or he wouldn't have cleaned out his office in baltimore yesterday.

Where was ryans grace period?

Al my good friend.

I just don't have the time to wade through all the fun here lately. And I haven't actually read your opinion on the new regime. I've always respected your opinion and the way you handle yourself. So what's the word, are you optomistic at all?

Yes, Golfer, I am optimistic.

I think Mangini is cunning enough to have learned some valuable lessons at NE and NY. Although, I'm hesitant to give my blessing to any sort of read and react 3-4. I like the helter skelter attack and react 3-4 systems. If I didn't hate Pittsburgh so much, it would be pure joy to watch their defense.

Mostly, it's just wait and see at this point. More than anything else, I hope Mangini brings in some players with toughness to the defense. Even if the players are gonna sit back and play read and react, they need to hit hard once they start reacting.

We're seeing alot of teams signing all of the young hotshot flavor-of-the-month coordinators, but while they struggle to learn and plan what everyone in the organization should be doing every minute of every day throughout the whole year, Mangini's prior experience as a head coach will allow him to focus his mind on where it should be.

I actually like the idea of hiring the Head Coach first. This is Mangini's team, and Kokinis will likely be a fine member of the Coach's support team (if he gets the job). the Phil-RAC system is more traditional (i.e. the GM gets the players and tells the Coach to take what he's got and make it work). That won't work if the two aren't on the same page, as we all know. The Coach is the guy who calls the shots on Sundays, and I think it is better that the FO supports the Coach instead of the Coach trying to please the GM with players he doesn't believe in.

-Al

Yes, Golfer, I am optimistic.

I think Mangini is cunning enough to have learned some valuable lessons at NE and NY. Although, I'm hesitant to give my blessing to any sort of read and react 3-4. I like the helter skelter attack and react 3-4 systems. If I didn't hate Pittsburgh so much, it would be pure joy to watch their defense.

Mostly, it's just wait and see at this point. More than anything else, I hope Mangini brings in some players with toughness to the defense. Even if the players are gonna sit back and play read and react, they need to hit hard once they start reacting.

We're seeing alot of teams signing all of the young hotshot flavor-of-the-month coordinators, but while they struggle to learn and plan what everyone in the organization should be doing every minute of every day throughout the whole year, Mangini's prior experience as a head coach will allow him to focus his mind on where it should be.

I actually like the idea of hiring the Head Coach first. This is Mangini's team, and Kokinis will likely be a fine member of the Coach's support team (if he gets the job). the Phil-RAC system is more traditional (i.e. the GM gets the players and tells the Coach to take what he's got and make it work). That won't work if the two aren't on the same page, as we all know. The Coach is the guy who calls the shots on Sundays, and I think it is better that the FO supports the Coach instead of the Coach trying to please the GM with players he doesn't believe in.

-Al

YES, YES, YES, & YES!!!

Mike

Ozzie was probaly our biggest loss when then Browns left. Would you ever want Ozzie back after his tenure in Baltimore? Nah.

Read what you typed and tell me why anybody should take you seriously.

One could argue that Ozzie never left the organization and he always felt gratitude to Art Model who gave him his chance at the brass ring.

You know...I just dont understand this read and react shit defense we keep trying to run here in Cleveland...Marty tried it...it kept us out of the SB...Crennel tried it...It kept us out of the playoffs along with DA's lousy QB play...now Mangina wants to run it here...For Me...Its about killing the QB and stopping the run....And as far as Ozzie goes...FU...Art was a traitor and You left with the traitor......So therefore You are a traitor...but yes...Id take him in a heartbeat

Come on man..some of those marty d's were the best we ever had...sadly..maybe..

though one of my fav browns D was the one under Belly...when Saban was the DC....that was pecied together with some over the hill LBs but it worked!

and BTW...we may have tried it and not suceeded...but new england runs it pretty well and have for nearly a decade

Kokinis is heading to NY and Lerner:

KOKINIS EN ROUTE TO NEW YORK

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2009, 10:19 a.m. EST

A league source tells us that Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis is on his way to New York to meet with owner Randy Lerner.

The thinking is that Kokinis and Lerner will at that time reach an agreement that Kokinis will become the next G.M. of the Browns.

Archived