THE BROWNS BOARD

Coaches And Coaches And Coaches!

Represent

We all know Chip Kelly stayed at Oregan...

So who is out there that isn't on your radar?

Kyle Shanahan O.C Redskins

Jay Gruden O.C Bengals

Pepper Johnson D.C Pats

Vic Fangio D.C 49ers

Eric Mangini ESPN

I'd like to see Haslem pull a power move and go for a blockbuster deal, and get Jon Gruden and shock everyone but hey we all got pipe dreams :)

Any thoughts? Fangio and Shanahan could be Prime Time for 2013.

I want someone young, innovative, talented, etc etc

I want the risk.

I don't want another boring, ho-hum coach that will produce boring average results. My entire life has been that watching the Browns (save that awesome season where Anderson, Braylon and K2 tore shit up).

Why the fuck not? We've got a young team. Inject some excitement.

What's the worst that could happen? We're still bad? Big whoop.

I want someone young, innovative, talented, etc etc

I want the risk.

I don't want another boring, ho-hum coach that will produce boring average results. My entire life has been that watching the Browns (save that awesome season where Anderson, Braylon and K2 tore shit up).

Why the fuck not? We've got a young team. Inject some excitement.

What's the worst that could happen? We're still bad? Big whoop.

Okay, name who you want? Young, innovative, talented? Who?

Okay, name who you want? Young, innovative, talented? Who?

The age thing isn't super important I guess, it would just help if they have the ability to be around for awhile. I just think it could help in the long run for a young team to grow around a young coach.

Like I said, I think they should just take the risk (within reason). Probably and offensive minded coach. It seems like DCs can do just fine running a great defense without a defensive HC but great offenses have the offensive minded HC. Idk I could be wrong here.

If I had my pick right now, knowing what I know, I would want Mike McCoy. He was able to make Cutler look good with Marshal. Then completely changed it up with Tebow and had that team in the playoffs. Then completely changed it back up again for Manning. I hope we are just waiting for their run to end (which could be awhile) and then hiring him.

But I don't know everyone that's out there or everything about every candidate.

That's true. He put together a really nice offense around RG3 and when he went down still made Kirk Cousins look like a star

Imagine if he did work out, we could have the same coach for 15-20 years if not more. That is the type of continuity we need for our team.

Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden could offer much long term upside..

Both currently have questionable weaknesses when it comes to complex blocking assignments but are much stronger everywhere else when compared to the most popular retreads whisenhunt or arians..

Only a fool would bring mangini in for anything related to nfl football..

When a guy has been around as long as bruce arians and has never been called upon to be an HC it should automatically be a red flag..

Ken Whisenhunt is a dude that had talent on his team but most of it left due to knuckleheaded decisions like starting DA and throwing their rookie qb under the bus..

Any coach that gets drunk on the arm power of a QB alone is not a guy i want evaluating and misusing the talent on my team.

Here's a prediction, albeit a minor 1.

The Nick Saban pledge to stay in Alabama will be come softer tomorrow morning.

By the way what's up with Bruce Arians?

Any illness, even a minor inner ear infection, that keeps on offense of coordinator of the field during a playoff game must be fairly serious.

How big a red flag is that going to be?

WSS

Here's a prediction, albeit a minor 1.

The Nick Saban pledge to stay in Alabama will be come softer tomorrow morning.

By the way what's up with Bruce Arians?

Any illness, even a minor inner ear infection, that keeps on offense of coordinator of the field during a playoff game must be fairly serious.

How big a red flag is that going to be?

WSS

I still think it's a possibility we get Saban.

As for Arians, they said on the news he had the severe type of flu virus.

Ken Whisenhunt is a dude that had talent on his team but most of it left due to knuckleheaded decisions like starting DA and throwing their rookie qb under the bus..

Any coach that gets drunk on the arm power of a QB alone is not a guy i want evaluating and misusing the talent on my team.

You sure about that? I know they brought DA to Arizona, and benched Max Hall (the rookie). Yes, big mistake going with DA, but he probably wanted an "experienced" QB over a rookie.

Yes, the Cardinals died this season after a 4-0 start. Yes, they have a top WR in Larry Fitzgerald, and some decent defensive players. I'm not an Arizona expert, but Whisenhunt is only 50, so he probably has the drive/energy left in his tank. It wouldn't bother me if they hired Whisenhunt-I think he would embrace the AFC North "toughness" needed to compete.

We had Trestman as a QB coach/offensive coordinator long ago, and I remember bitching about some of his stuff- perhaps he's learned & may be ready, I don't know.

I will say I want an aggressive coach, preferably an offensive-minded coach. We Browns fans have seen far too many defensive coordinator coaches come in here and play not-to-lose (although Shurmer prefected that philosophy with an offensive back ground).

I've been a fan of Shanahan over Kelly from day one. We need someone young who can really connect with our young roster. As said before, he also has that knack of superiorly adapting the offense no matter the situation. Plus, this guy is openly excited about the prospect of leading an NFL team which is extremely attractive.

And, he looks to be under 250 pounds, an anomaly for past Browns HCs.

3 biggest HC questions:

Can they motivate the young core talent on this team, and do those young guys respect them?

Can they find an OC who is innovative and will inject some life into that side of the ball?

Can they work with the 4-3 defense, whether Jauron as DC or somebody else?

Right now, my preference list (based on above):

1) Mike McCoy - my current favorite

2) Nick Saban - doubt he leaves 'Bama

3) Bruce Arians - Did a good job filling in. Runs a possesion-style balanced offense that might fit.

4) Tom Clements - Offensive "Guru" type of guy. Has done a great job in GB. Surprised we haven't heard his name yet. Unproven, but could catch lighting in a bottle with this guy. Only question is whether or not he's ready yet to be a HC.

5) Kyle Shanahan - Very young and unproven, but has the pedigree and has had success where he has coached.

6) Lovie Smith - Here's the guy you want if you want a proven winner. No flash, nothing great.

7) Ken Wisenhunt - Another experienced coach, if that's what you want. Weak resume. Brings some attitude and drive.

Our next interview... Marc Trestman ... today via Toni Grossi

This guy is in the HC mix every year and nobody hires him. He's always an interesting one. Here's a clip of his resume:

Has coached in CFL since 2008. 59-31 regular season record. With 2 Grey Cup Championships (2009, 2010). CFL Coach of the year 2009.

Lot of NFL experience coaching (dating back to 1985), either as a QB coach or OC. And has history with the Browns.

He was Bernie's QB coach in '88, and was the Browns OC in '89 when they went to the AFC Championship.

Has short stints with various NFL teams with great short-term successes, but also short tenures.

Highlight- Went to Raiders in 2001 as QB coach, was promoted to OC in 2002 when they led the NFL in offense, and he led Rich Gannon to winning the NFL MVP that season while getting his team into the Super Bowl.

Good resume. We'll see.

I think Kyle Shanahan will be a good HC but at 33-34 years old I can't imagine he could garner the respect of the locker room. I could be off base there but I know it'd be interesting working under a guy who is the around the same age or even younger than you, especially in a sport like football.

I think Kyle Shanahan will be a good HC but at 33-34 years old I can't imagine he could garner the respect of the locker room. I could be off base there but I know it'd be interesting working under a guy who is the around the same age or even younger than you, especially in a sport like football.

I hear what you are saying, but Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher were both 34 and Chuck Noll 38 when they were hired. We've watched them go to 8 Super Bowls.

Zombo

You sure about that? I know they brought DA to Arizona, and benched Max Hall (the rookie). Yes, big mistake going with DA, but he probably wanted an "experienced" QB over a rookie.

Yes, the Cardinals died this season after a 4-0 start. Yes, they have a top WR in Larry Fitzgerald, and some decent defensive players. I'm not an Arizona expert, but Whisenhunt is only 50, so he probably has the drive/energy left in his tank. It wouldn't bother me if they hired Whisenhunt-I think he would embrace the AFC North "toughness" needed to compete.

We had Trestman as a QB coach/offensive coordinator long ago, and I remember bitching about some of his stuff- perhaps he's learned & may be ready, I don't know.

I will say I want an aggressive coach, preferably an offensive-minded coach. We Browns fans have seen far too many defensive coordinator coaches come in here and play not-to-lose (although Shurmer prefected that philosophy with an offensive back ground).

I wouldn't be opposed to Whisenhunt. He could be a sort of baby Bill Belichick.

We know he is capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl.

Don Shula was only 33 when he started. Mike Tomlin was only 34. John Madden was only 32. Al Davis was 33. Bill Cowher was 34. Mike Shanahan himself was only 35. Dick Nolan was 35. Norm Van Brocklin 34.

All good young coaches.

Other young ones perhaps not so much: Lane Kiffin: 31. David Shula 32. Raheem Morris 34.

And others no one has heard of much because they didn't do so good.

I would say it is a 50/50 proposition to get an outstanding young coach.

Now that the Skins are out of the mix....look into Kyle.

What if they hired lovie smith and got norv turner as his o.c.

I think a lot of the players would want to play for lovie, and play hard for him. I know turner failed as a head coach but I only ever heard good things about him as a coordinator.

If this were to happen I would definitely be looking forward to the next season.

The one thing you know Kyle will bring is a proven offensive system that has worked in Denver, Houston and Washington. Put together a solid coaching staff and maybe at some point draft a stud player or two I think things will start looking up. The first thing you would need to do the is interview him.

I wouldn't be opposed to Whisenhunt. He could be a sort of baby Bill Belichick.

We know he is capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl.

Don't know if it was injuries or what but- "The Wiz" went 1-11 after a 4-0 start this year, including getting blown out 58-0 by the Seahawks. Reason he's currently out of work. Caution advised.

Don Shula was only 33 when he started. Mike Tomlin was only 34. John Madden was only 32. Al Davis was 33. Bill Cowher was 34. Mike Shanahan himself was only 35. Dick Nolan was 35. Norm Van Brocklin 34.

All good young coaches.

Other young ones perhaps not so much: Lane Kiffin: 31. David Shula 32. Raheem Morris 34.

And others no one has heard of much because they didn't do so good.

I would say it is a 50/50 proposition to get an outstanding young coach.

Now that the Skins are out of the mix....look into Kyle.

^+1, I've been touting this for weeks. :) Not horribly opposed to Trestman either. Won the equivalent of two Super Bowls up north. Bruce Arians filled in OK for Pagano, and probably deserves a look.

IMHO, Haslam & Banner aren't going to wait around to get a guy from a team with the potential to go deep into the playoffs, which probably rules out McCoy and McDaniels.

We've tried about everything else, so why not an experienced defensive minded HC (Lovie Smith) with say Norv Turner as OC?

What if they hired lovie smith and got norv turner as his o.c.

I think a lot of the players would want to play for lovie, and play hard for him. I know turner failed as a head coach but I only ever heard good things about him as a coordinator.

^^^This. I could give a Flying Rats a$$ about flash. I think this combo would produce wins. THAT is what I want.

I hear what you are saying, but Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher were both 34 and Chuck Noll 38 when they were hired. We've watched them go to 8 Super Bowls.

Zombo

You guys might be right, it's hard to say. I can't say I know anything about the man personally but I think it would depend on how he comes in and coaches. I just don't know if he's a tough nosed guy how that would go over. Honestly I'm just speculating though, I think he does have great HC caliber to him. I wouldn't be upset at all if that was the hire.

Archived