THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl News: Ken Whisenhunt Back In Berea To Meet With Browns

tampadawgs

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefterAs @MaryKayCabot reported, Browns meeting again today with former Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt.

10 Jan 13

The Browns met with Whisenhunt one week ago while they were out in Arizona for Operation: Ducktales1.

Whisenhunt, who was fired Monday by the Cardinals, also has interviewed with the Buffalo Bills. He was one of the longest-tenured head coaches in the NFL prior to his firing, leading the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history during the 2008 season. He went 1-11 over his final 12 games with the Cards in 2012.

Been Calling this!!! This would be the best hire!!!!

How about taking the Freaking Arizona to the Super Bowl, and was 4-0 this yr until Kolb got hurt. Built a solid Defense in Arizona and has had 4 different leading Running backs in the 6 yrs he was there. Is a no bullshit coach, aslo was the OC in Pittsburgh when they won a SuperBowl. Runs a pro style Offense that is a run first.

The Whiz has never had a solid RB and he used 45 yr old Kurt Warner to the SuperBowl....

I really think Arizona made a mistake!!!! He had 2 losing seasons in Arizona, 1 of them was the yr after Warner retired and the other was this yr when Kolb went down. I reallythink he is the guy to lead the Browns plus he knows Pitt, cincy, and Balt

FYI he was our Tight End coach in 99, I did not know that

One of Whisenhunt's most famous moments as a Steeler is the trick play he called in Super Bowl XL. With Pittsburgh leading 14-10 over the Seattle Seahawks, Whisenhunt called a wide receiver reverse pass (Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward, the only TD pass thrown by a WR in Super Bowl history) that allowed Pittsburgh to pull away.

This is about the only guy I don't want as HC.

Fire a 5-11 HC and then hire a 5-11 HC?

Browns fans think this guy is great bc he used to coach in Pittsburgh, imagine the uproar on Shurmur if he lost a game 58-0,Shurmur wasn't outscored by 58 until week 15,17 if you take into account our wins.

Now the first,and only card people will play in Whisenhunt's favor is that he took Arizona to the Superbowl.

He took Dennis Green's team to the Superbowl with a 9-7 record with a HoF receiver and qb.

Arizona has sucked since then, he hasn't built a winner there.

FWIW,Former Browns and Cardinals cornerback Ralph Brown doesn't give Whisenhunt an endorsement.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/01/10/former-browns-cardinals-cb-ralph-brown-not-sure-whisenhunt-right-pick/

This is about the only guy I don't want as HC.

Fire a 5-11 HC and then hire a 5-11 HC?

Browns fans think this guy is great bc he used to coach in Pittsburgh, imagine the uproar on Shurmur if he lost a game 58-0,Shurmur wasn't outscored by 58 until week 15,17 if you take into account our wins.

Now the first,and only card people will play in Whisenhunt's favor is that he took Arizona to the Superbowl.

He took Dennis Green's team to the Superbowl with a 9-7 record with a HoF receiver and qb.

Arizona has sucked since then, he hasn't built a winner there.

FWIW,Former Browns and Cardinals cornerback Ralph Brown doesn't give Whisenhunt an endorsement.

http://cleveland.cbs...unt-right-pick/

really lets see

They went to the Super Bowl 2 years after Dennis Green got Fired and the most wins dennis Green ever had was 6-10 his first year, then went 5-11 and 5-11, so your saying he took a 5-11 team to the SuperBowl sounds good to me!!!

Aslo Whisenhunts is Arizonas all time winnest coach in only 6 years!!!!

1988 wa the first year of the Pheonix Cardinals now Arizona they have a total of 1 count them 1 winning season until Whisenhunt got there and we had 4, really!!!!! Sounds like he has built a winner if you ask me. Matter a fact how mant winning seasons have the Browns have had over the last 20yrs??? 2 maybe 3......

again his first losing season was the yr Warner RETIRED and this yr where is STARTING QB got hurt ans he was 4-0 with KOLB are you kidding me.

And your taking your word from Ralf Brown they guy in his 9 yr career has 6INT and 187 tackles... The guy who Averaged 20 tackles a year and .66 INT a year...Must be a 9 time probowler...Oh the same guy who started 4 games in 3 years and he does not like the coach...Never heard that before.... everyone loved Crennel, Shurmer how did that work out

The stupidest thing I hear about this guy is "he wouldn't have ever gone to the Super Bowl without a great QB". Name a friking team that's been in the Super Bowl since that cardinal team that didn't have a franchise QB outside of Rex grossman. It's a QB driven league and this guy wins with a good one.

This came from Stripe Hipe

Mike Zimmer’s agent was told the Browns want to talk to the 56-year-old Bengals defensive coordinator again tomorrow.

Zimmer has been told the coaching search will be wrapped up by Sunday night.

This didn’t come from our source, but it is our belief that it is coming down to Zimmer and Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, with Bruce Arians still in the picture in a whirlwind drive toward a decision.

Also, via our source: Ray Farmer, who was in the front office with Scott Pioli’s Chiefs, will be interviewed for general manager type slot tomorrow.

We reported recently that Michael Lombardi is in the Browns’ fold, with only his title to be determined. We can imagine something that would be functionally along the lines of special adviser to Joe Banner.

Lombardi and Farmer have known each other since they both worked for the Eagles in the late 1990s.

Our source gave us Zimmer’s name immediately after Pat Shurmur was released, saying Zimmer would be interviewed. You may recall the post.

i like wisenheimer. he would be a good hire. he can at least keep up with the team when he calls them out to do laps.

nobody was bitching about him when he took the cards to the super bowl. i lived in az for a long time and the only thing that ever held them back was the bidwells. they played decent this year (especially on D) and if they even had a rex grossman coulda done some damage. their GM shoulda been fired 6 games into the season.

And your taking your word from Ralf Brown they guy in his 9 yr career has 6INT and 187 tackles... The guy who Averaged 20 tackles a year and .66 INT a year...Must be a 9 time probowler...Oh the same guy who started 4 games in 3 years and he does not like the coach

I realize that, that's why I put fwiw before it.

When it comes down to it Whisenhunt won while the NFC West was the worst division in the NFL.

His team quit on him this year and they were blown out 58-0.

I don't want the guy, I think the only reason any Browns fan is in favor of Whisenhunt is because he used to coach with the Steelers. On top of that you have to wonder if he'll want to go to the 3-4, which will set our D back.

Nothing I'm going to say will convince you otherwise and vice versa , so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well as you all know this is my first choice, I just think he is a really good coach. I do aslo like Zimmer as well and looking at reports it looks like its down to these two. I would love Wiz as HC and Zimmer as Assin HC, Dont think he would do that. I can dream thou....

Archived