THE BROWNS BOARD

Hall Of Fame Finalists

The Gipper

Announced today are the 17 Finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A maximum 7 can be elected, 5 from the non-senior list:

Larry Allen OT Cowboys

Jonathan Ogden OT Ravens

Warren Sapp DT Bucs/Raiders

Michael Strahan DE Giants

Ed DeBartolo Jr. Owner 49ers

Bill Parcells coach Giants/Patriots

Tim Brown WR Raiders

Chris Carter WR Vikings/Eagles

Andre Reed WR Bills

Kevin Greene LB Rams/Steelers/Panthers/49ers

Charles Haley DE 49ers/Cowboys

Will Shields OG Chiefs

Aeneas Williams DB Cardinals/Rams

Jerome Bettis RB Rams/Steelers

Art Modell Owner Browns/Ravens

Senior list:

Curley Culp DT Chiefs/Oilers/Lions

Dave Robinson LB Packers

My choices: the 2 senior members Culp and Robinson, plus Chris Carter,Larry Allen, Charles Haley, Bill Parcells, and Aeneas Williams.

Modell getting on the Finalist list (for only the 2d time) is the only sop to be given to him.

I mean, even a Ravens fan I think would rather see Ogden elected than Modell.

Announced today are the 17 Finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A maximum 7 can be elected, 5 from the non-senior list:

Larry Allen OT Cowboys

Jonathan Ogden OT Ravens

Warren Sapp DT Bucs/Raiders

Michael Strahan DE Giants

Ed DeBartolo Jr. Owner 49ers

Bill Parcells coach Giants/Patriots

Tim Brown WR Raiders

Chris Carter WR Vikings/Eagles

Andre Reed WR Bills

Kevin Greene LB Rams/Steelers/Panthers/49ers

Charles Haley DE 49ers/Cowboys

Will Shields OG Chiefs

Aeneas Williams DB Cardinals/Rams

Jerome Bettis RB Rams/Steelers

Art Modell Owner Browns/Ravens

Senior list:

Curley Culp DT Chiefs/Oilers/Lions

Dave Robinson LB Packers

My choices in bold

Zombo

I'm willing to bet Modell gets in this year. He was a huge part of the NFL's success and growth. Sure he ripped our hearts out when he moved, but I do feel that deserves to be in the hall of fame.

He deserves nothing...final..kaput.

is the senior list then set to only 2 players? Culp and Robinson?

then by rule, are automatically nominated?

or is the larger field of senior players open for nomination?

because I would pick Jim Marshall and Dick Schafrath

The Senior Committee selected those two for nomination...and yes, they are automatically nominated as Finalists, but they are not automatically elected.

Usually the senior committee selections do get elected, but either last year or the year before senior committee nominee Dick Stanfel did NOT get elected.

(and it is only those two. Marshall/Shafrath etc. are not up unless nominated. By the way, that is how Gene Hickerson got into the HOF, through the senior committee selectin process)

He deserves nothing...final..kaput.

EXACTLLY CORRECT

The only thing that changed is he's dead. Dying isn't a qualification for the HOF

EXACTLLY CORRECT

The only thing that changed is he's dead. Dying isn't a qualification for the HOF

Dying isn't a qualification...but being someone who helped build the NFL into the monolithic empire that it is today, does deserve to be in the HOF. Take the moving the team hate away for a minute and view it with some objectivity. Being the guy who came up with the idea for Monday Night Football is damn near enough to get into the hall on its own.

Dying isn't a qualification...but being someone who helped build the NFL into the monolithic empire that it is today, does deserve to be in the HOF. Take the moving the team hate away for a minute and view it with some objectivity. Being the guy who came up with the idea for Monday Night Football is damn near enough to get into the hall on its own.

Then why isn't he in yet? He's been eligible for years and has only made the finalist list 2 times.

You CAN NOT take away what he did to the Browns. For that alone he should NEVER be allowed in......... EVER. One bad act is and will always overshadow the good he did.

Sorry Mark- I disagree. If the NFL would take a clue from MLB and make an owners\contributors wing- like baseball does for the writers. You might make an exception. Hell, I'd vote Jerry Jones in any day of the week, and twice on Sunday ahead of Uncle Scum. There's damn few owners\contributors I'd put in- like maybe George Halas and Curly Lambeau- Pete Rozelle did exactly what? His job? Give me a break.

MNF? Lucky guess. Let's look at his track record on other counts, shall we? Only owner to fire two HOF coaches (Paul Brown & Bellichick is a lock- once he hangs 'em up) let near HOFer Marty walk on top of it. Was about to be kicked out of the owners club in Baltimore due to impending foreclosure by Fleet Bank, despite $$$10s of millions $$ in bribes. Whoo whee- there's a record to be proud of. NFL has to know putting the booger in will create a nasty scene come induction weekend.

I agree but some can't see past their nose.

We have our team. I am good with that and have forgotten about the "move".

A valid point made by Hoorta is that players have to compete with owners/administrators/coaches etc. etc. for slots in the HOF.

I mean, a player has only a limited amount of time to make his mark, where an owner/admin. can have a lifetime in the league.

Look at someone like Bud Adams and Ralph Wilson. Original owners of AFL teams. Still going after 52 years as part of football. Bill Bidwill has about the same length of service. So does William Clay Ford.

I mean...how about this: if you want to put some owner into the Hall of Fame, how about the Citizens of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The best owners in history. That franchise has more titles than any other...and those "owners" are more deserving that just about anyone else I can think of.

Fair to say?

Point is, I don't see how Modell has any more credential than Adams/Ford/Bidwill or any other long term owner.

You know what keeps the likes of Adams and Bidwill and Ford out? They moved their team or there teams were lousy.

Modell moved his team, and for a fair part of his existance his teams were lousy...or at least average.

And I don't get the 'innovator' crap. When they did the memorial movie to the creation of MNF...Modell wasn't even mentioned.

And at least in moving their teams and having crappy teams Adams/Ford/Bidwill never sent their team into bankruptcy nor were they forced to sell their team to avoid foreclosure.

I think Don Coryell belongs in the HOF as an offensive innovator. I remember well the 'Air Coryell' years in the late 70's.

True, he wasn't much on the defensive side--I have memories of Dan Fouts throwing for 4-5 touchdowns and 400+ yards/game,

and losing 51-48.

When John Madden gave his eulogy at Coryell's funeral, he said 'I'm sitting here down front, next to Joe Gibbs and Dan Fouts,

and we're all in the HOF because of Don Coryell'.

The man opened up offense in a way that hadn't been seen on a widespread basis in the NFL. I would argue that todays

spread offenses and more wide-open NFL offenses can draw a direct line to the 'Air Coryell' years of the late 70's.

I think Don Coryell belongs in the HOF as an offensive innovator. I remember well the 'Air Coryell' years in the late 70's.

True, he wasn't much on the defensive side--I have memories of Dan Fouts throwing for 4-5 touchdowns and 400+ yards/game,

and losing 51-48.

When John Madden gave his eulogy at Coryell's funeral, he said 'I'm sitting here down front, next to Joe Gibbs and Dan Fouts,

and we're all in the HOF because of Don Coryell'.

The man opened up offense in a way that hadn't been seen on a widespread basis in the NFL. I would argue that todays

spread offenses and more wide-open NFL offenses can draw a direct line to the 'Air Coryell' years of the late 70's.

I hear you, but, he didnt make the Finals. Only coach to do so was Parcells.

The original for Monday Night Football didn't belong to Art Modell.

The original idea was Pete Rozelle's he actually wanted to have another primetime game on Friday nights

but that raised holy hell with all the high schools who thought and probably rightfully so that their attendance would plummet

with an nfl game on "their" night.

pete rozelle sent Art Modell to a meeting with the Hughes sports in Las Vegas.

They wined and dined him and told him they wanted to bid for all the nfl games......Modell was certain they could

have hughes for the monday night football package

But Rozelle actually negotiated with Hughes and got them to bid an unheard of 9 mil for the rights to MNF

for one year. But he knew that Hughes wasn't a network and their tv stations wouldn't be optimal for what he wanted.

In stepped Roone Arledge got abc to pony up 8.5 million and Rozelle got what he wanted

A reputable Network and the rest is history.

I was lucky to be at that game that night in 1970

I can remember that the people were sitting in the aisle's of municipal stadium

with a crowd of over 85000. I remember the Brown's Homer Jones running back a jet kickoff for a td and

of course Browns LB Billy Andrews intercepting Joe Wille on a diving intercepting on the infield dirt

and getting up and rumbling into the end zone for a Browns clinching score

I was lucky to be at that game that night in 1970

I can remember that the people were sitting in the aisle's of municipal stadium

with a crowd of over 85000. I remember the Brown's Homer Jones running back a jet kickoff for a td and

of course Browns LB Billy Andrews intercepting Joe Wille on a diving intercepting on the infield dirt

and getting up and rumbling into the end zone for a Browns clinching score

I wasn't at the game but i have seen it. I managed to get a copy on VHS a few years ago.

Archived