THE BROWNS BOARD

English Sports Fan

traustin89

Hi,

I am a final year student studying in England. As part of my research I am looking to compare fans of NFL clubs, MLS clubs and EPL clubs. I was hoping a few of you would be able to take part in my questionnaire; it will take no longer than five minutes to complete. This will help me to analyse the cultural differences between fans in America and England. If you are interested in my overall findings, please let me know.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=8sqy9sifmi71sa973823

Thank you for your time.

Tim

Not gonna happen with your survey

But I will say this, I do support Liverpool soccer, even though that asshole LeQUITTER James is a part owner. I have been supporying them since WAY before that fool was even born

I took your survey, but I agree, after taking it...it will lead you to either no conclusions or false conclusions about "cultural differences" between fans.

Doing that 1-7 ranking is quite frankly a flawed method of gathering any true information.

If your professors required that you perform your survey in that fashion then your professors are fucking idiots.

Lets start with the fact that the MLS is still a minor league sport in this country that few give a shit about.

You didn't ask about fans of the NBA or NHL or MLB.

Hell, in this country you would have been better off asking about NASCAR...not that I personally care about NASCAR. But you will have 10 times more "gear" sales of nascar stuff than you ever would MLS stuff.

You also didn't seem to take into account the FRAK factor. (FrontRunnerAssKisser). You asked some questions about how people feel after their favorite sports team wins, or how tied up their self worth is in their favorite sports teams....without taking into account that in this country anyway we have a large segment of useless sorts who will pick and choose who their "favorite" team is based on who happens to be winning at the time. If they don't feel good about some team, they will just jump their allegiance to a different team.

So, sorry, despite taking your survey, I find it totally off base and not designed to give you the critical data that I think you are seeking.

I take that all on board but disagree with most of it. The questionnaire itself is based on work done by other scholars in the field and they have had success with it. For example The Likert Scale styled questions are one of the most popular used in quantitative studies.

Saying MLS is still a Minor Sport is very ill informed, OK it's not as popular as some other sports but I have also had the most responses from those guys and believe within the next decade it will be right up there with baseball and NFL. Also this will help me to compare English football fans with American 'Soccer' fans and then can also compare to NFL fans as another culture. I didn't want to go down the route of comparing loads and loads of different sports but maybe it's something I can think about for the future.

I don't think many of those kind of fans who 'pick and choose' their favourite team will take part in this because I believe they are the kind that wont be that bothered about their team anyway.

Believe it or not I did do research before putting together the questionnaire and am already getting interesting results back. Thank you everyone who has taken part!

Saying MLS is still a Minor Sport is very ill informed, OK it's not as popular as some other sports but I have also had the most responses from those guys and believe within the next decade it will be right up there with baseball and NFL. Also this will help me to compare English football fans with American 'Soccer' fans and then can also compare to NFL fans as another culture. I didn't want to go down the route of comparing loads and loads of different sports but maybe it's something I can think about for the future.

The MLS is a VERY minor league in this country. You can watch Sportscenter for 30 minutes every single night without hearing about it.

Nothing remotely close to the coverage NFL, MLB and NBA get, not to mention golf,auto racing and tons of other things.

Saying it will be "right up there" with the NFL in ten years maybe the MOST ill-informed thing every written in the history of The Browns Board.

Zombo

• 1 month later...

I take that all on board but disagree with most of it. The questionnaire itself is based on work done by other scholars in the field and they have had success with it. For example The Likert Scale styled questions are one of the most popular used in quantitative studies.

I don't think many of those kind of fans who 'pick and choose' their favourite team will take part in this because I believe they are the kind that wont be that bothered about their team anyway.

Believe it or not I did do research before putting together the questionnaire and am already getting interesting results back. Thank you everyone who has taken part!

Yes, saying that I am misinformed about the status of MLS as a minor sport in America is absurd, bordering on ignorant.

Maybe all those people you are talking to are those pollyannas who hope and pray that soccer will some day on a level with the NFL and MLB because they like the sport. But they are deluding themselves...and they are deluding you if you believe them. Maybe MLS could break into being on the level of the NHL someday, 10 years from now.

It is as foolish to say that futbol will someday soon be as popular as football in America as it is to say that football will someday soon be as popular as futbol in the UK.

(the fact that you seem to have no insight into the truth of what I just said clearly is in and of itself indicative of the "cultural differences" in fans.)

Archived