THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns beating teh Steelers in 2009?

Guest Ghoolie

Guest Ghoolie

Save the "On any given Sunday BS, lets break this down.

1) QB - Ben is a proven entity. I especially like him because he scrambles only to extend the play and he is a pass first guy. However you rate him in 2009 he will be aknown entity and a quality QB.

Quinn, while we hope becomes great, is fresh and not proven. We can say IF all we want, but we don't know. So, right out of the gun we have an IF to overcome.

I am not saying Quinn won't be good, but common sense tells you that if your team has to over come multiple IFs, and to win requires all of the things we hope for to pan out, we will be int trouble. Life just doens't work that way.

2) Defense - Guys, do have to go through this player by player? Polamalu is so far above anything we have it is sad. Their pass rush is solid and they can stop the run. Our Run D blows and our pass rush? Maybe a C-?

3) Running Game - They have PArker AND a big, young, up-and coming FB. Jamal is worthless and although we have a hopeful RB, we don't match up here.

4)WRs? Please. Ward is long in the tooth but he will be back, Holmes is super and Sweed? He is a chip off the old Steeler block. Can you imagine Joe J or Edwards laying someone out like Sweed did?

We don't match up here either.

5) TE - theirs blocks, catches, gets in the open AND knocks guys on their ass. Our better TEs sit on the bench.

I could go on but it is depressing. I jsut don't see the Browns gaining much ground on the Steelers in 2009.

Sad fans.......I see the Browns winning one against us in 2009. Mangina is exactly what you needed. Crennel was a huge road block that kept getting bigger. I see a solid 9-7 or better from you next year. Dont let 2008 cloud your judgement. You have the talent, all you need is a coach that's able to polish it and you found that coach. Good luck in 2009.

ghoolie, you're right. it will take the browns really coming together as a team and getting pretty lucky to win against the steelers in 2009. we simply don't have anywhere near their talent, but there are a few guys we have that are up to the task.

rogers is better than casey hampton. he's on the field far more, which doesn't help his cause, but he's a better player. hampton never gets to the QB, but rogers often does. the steelers don't even have hampton in on passing downs because their other guys are far more effective. his pass rush ability could even be a liability because it keeps him from ever getting off the field unless he's totally gassed.

eric wright could play for them, too. he's a good corner, pretty much on par with bryant mcfadden, who's become the steelers' best cover guy.

sweed's crushing block was beautiful. it was just as great as his sure TD drop was terrible. he has potential, but needs to put it all together.

edit: edwards can be effective if he gets his head right. it remains to be seen if he can do that. harrison can be effective if he plays and stays healthy, but it, again, remains to be seen if he can do that. if he can, i think he's comparable to willie parker.

aside from that, we're pretty much a pushover for them. as always, the steelers are the team to beat in the AFC north until someone actually beats them.

Guest Ghoolie
ghoolie, you're right. it will take the browns really coming together as a team and getting pretty lucky to win against the steelers in 2009. we simply don't have anywhere near their talent, but there are a few guys we have that are up to the task.

rogers is better than casey hampton. he's on the field far more, which doesn't help his cause, but he's a better player. hampton never gets to the QB, but rogers often does. the steelers don't even have hampton in on passing downs because their other guys are far more effective. his pass rush ability could even be a liability because it keeps him from ever getting off the field unless he's totally gassed.

eric wright could play for them, too. he's a good corner, pretty much on par with bryant mcfadden, who's become the steelers' best cover guy.

sweed's crushing block was beautiful. it was just as great as his sure TD drop was terrible. he has potential, but needs to put it all together.

edit: edwards can be effective if he gets his head right. it remains to be seen if he can do that. harrison can be effective if he plays and stays healthy, but it, again, remains to be seen if he can do that. if he can, i think he's comparable to willie parker.

aside from that, we're pretty much a pushover for them. as always, the steelers are the team to beat in the AFC north until someone actually beats them.

I LIKE Wright, I liked him in the draft and he is very Good. I have the same assessment yhou do, however, I think Edwards is a bust.

For me it won't be the win total next year as much as seeing the team put on a course with a purpose; Whether we become a high powered passing eam, or a running team, etc. I just want to see an end to the meaningless acquisitions Sewage gave us. We shall see

Guest ATENEARS

Steeler Schuck,

Stop using that gay " ... an'at" sign-off with each post, or you will be banned. We are not allowed to alter your post, so please refrain from using that sign-off or we will have to take measures of banning you.

Have a Great Day :)

Love,

The New and Improved Management

Steeler Schuck,

Stop using that gay " ... an'at" sign-off with each post, or you will be banned. We are not allowed to alter your post, so please refrain from using that sign-off or we will have to take measures of banning you.

Have a Great Day :)

Love,

The New and Improved Management

Stan:

Go f u c k yourself, you tool.

Regards

... an'at

Guest ATENEARS
Stan:

Go f u c k yourself, you tool.

Regards

... an'at

Thanks for playing.

Moderators, our quota is now four.

1) QB - Ben is a proven entity. I especially like him because he scrambles only to extend the play and he is a pass first guy. However you rate him in 2009 he will be aknown entity and a quality QB.

Quinn, while we hope becomes great, is fresh and not proven. We can say IF all we want, but we don't know. So, right out of the gun we have an IF to overcome.

I am not saying Quinn won't be good, but common sense tells you that if your team has to over come multiple IFs, and to win requires all of the things we hope for to pan out, we will be int trouble. Life just doens't work that way.

2) Defense - Guys, do have to go through this player by player? Polamalu is so far above anything we have it is sad. Their pass rush is solid and they can stop the run. Our Run D blows and our pass rush? Maybe a C-?

3) Running Game - They have PArker AND a big, young, up-and coming FB. Jamal is worthless and although we have a hopeful RB, we don't match up here.

4)WRs? Please. Ward is long in the tooth but he will be back, Holmes is super and Sweed? He is a chip off the old Steeler block. Can you imagine Joe J or Edwards laying someone out like Sweed did?

We don't match up here either.

5) TE - theirs blocks, catches, gets in the open AND knocks guys on their ass. Our better TEs sit on the bench.

I could go on but it is depressing. I jsut don't see the Browns gaining much ground on the Steelers in 2009.

Right now the browns are just a big question mark..due to the last regimes lame way of under utilizing talent in combination with a total lack of motivation and discipline and we dont really know exactly what we have.. now combine that with our new HC and his crew and we know even less...we can only guess at this point..

Im guessing we have decent talent waiting to actually be coached and motivated...theres no doubt some players will have to go and there is little doubt that mangini will give most of them a fair shot before sending them packing...he appears to be a fair but tuff coach...

We will likely have a lot of the same players back for at least this coming season and under mangini and i think they are going to want to show pittsburgh a thing or two i can see the brownies winning one game against the steelers if nothing else theres not going to be a cakewalk for the steelers anymore..

I feel good about our chances of actually being competitive under mangini i dont expect miracles but i do expect large strides to be made lets just wait and see what happens....;)

Granted pittsburgh is tough and they are the team in our division and the league to beat rather some haters want to acknowledge that or not the AFC north is just tough tough tough and our coaching/management has been weak weak weak..

As i always do im pulling for the AFC champs to kick that shitty NFC teams arse yes even if its the stoolers..i still have oldskool AFC pride and respect for the better teams that make it to the superbowl yes even the stoolers...

It shows the world how black and blue our division and conference is...GO STOOLERS!

For those who watched the Ravens-Steelers game, it is daunting that 25% of the Browns' schedule is against those two extremely physical teams. I think they ran out of O negative and stretchers during that game.

Mangini will probably use 2009 as a test to see who can play and who can't, and who really wants to. No big FA signings please, successful teams are built through the draft and use FA signings for spare parts or to shore up areas of injury, where the draft is thin, or where picks have not panned out.

After their win in Super Bowl XL, the Steelers had a letdown. They played like a smug team that had nothing left to prove and they were awful. If they are champs again can Tomlin avoid a similar letdown?

Ward may retire and I am not convinced that Sweed can step up, though he has not played enough to really tell. If he did not have the dropsies in a big game he would have raised his stock. The offensive line has come together at the right time but once again I am not convinced. The defensive line is decent but aging and I would not be surprised to see them draft a DL. If Hampton leaves to be a sumo wrestler I would not be surprised. The linebackers are great, few teams can touch them; Sam and Will positions are OK but Harrison could use an appentice at Mike, he is on top but not young. I think McFadden can leave as a FA. Backfield seems productive but injury prone.

So, can the Browns beat the Steelers in '09? Yes if enough things go well for them. It would be good for the Browns and actually might be good for the Steelers too if it happened early in the year. 7-0

against your own division doesn't happen often and involves some luck. Ain't gonna happen next year.

JUST HERE FOR INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL TALK.

hines ward retiring would be a huge blow to the steelers. he's the second-most important offensive player they have, and could even be the most important because his play sets the tone for the entire team. limas sweed's crushing block was a direct reflection of hines ward.

the wide receiver corps would take a huge hit, and it could show up most in the run game and on third down, the times when hines finds sneaky ways to be effective, when he somehow gets open for no good reason or holds the outside on a long run.

as far as using FA to fill out the team where picks haven't panned out, i think that pass rusher is definitely an area where picks haven't panned out, and that we have too many holes to fill and not enough picks to do it in this year's draft. we need to make a free agent signing at either LB spot to have a complete set of starters on defense for the coming year.

while the steelers' aging d-line is a concern, it was a concern this year, too, and they seemed to play admirably. another year of wear and tear certainly won't help, but what are the steelers' other areas of need? o-line and corner, but those are both easily filled in the draft.

the browns do have some talent, but it's not near the level of what the steelers have, or what the ravens have on defense. a great motivator is the browns' best chance for success in '09. we have to hope the players really buy into what mangini's selling.

Guest Masters

You lost me right here. Since you have used the Any given Sunday line to explain away Browns and other teams wins and losses.

The browns will beat the steelers next season, and why I say that?

We no longer have that LOSER ROMEO!!

Another Good Reason not to let that Fat Piece of Shit back into the clubhouse. Who cares some of our fatboys will miss eating pancakes with him. I dont want that FATASS anywhere near our Team!

Dont forget to add all of those phantom calls the steelers get.

and they are all drama queens!!!

Your a Jerk.... PHANTOM Calls ? Like a Pass Interference that Officials could easily over look IF they were helping the Steelers ...ummm hmmm....Or Overturning a Play called a TD on the field. And dont tell me about ITS THE RULE , That has Never Stopped the Refs from doing Dumb stuff on replays yet !! ALL that Dumb CRAP you spout out cements your status as an Azzwipe... Are you in fact , a Mens room attendant , of maybe Work in a Nursing home Changing Diapers ? Oh well...

Here is the Deal ...the ODDS are with you. You HAVE to beat us eventually. And sooner than later. Your team is NOT Inept and Mangini already beat us with an Inferior team in NY. Now you Not going to Beat us TWICE... AND MAYBE NOT ONCE....in 09. But its coming... It will be sad Day !

personally, i can't wait for it. pretty much my only fond memory of tim couch was the 2003 game in pittsburgh in the regular season. even his scramble into the endzone and subsequent horribly awkward celebration were beautiful.

it was surreal seeing him put it together during that game. it's too bad he never reached that point again.

Archived