THE BROWNS BOARD

Django Unchained Review

Django Unchained

Weinstein

R 165 min

You gotta love Quentin Tarantino. The guy has an apparent love affair with all of the worst genres of the late sixties and seventies films.

Remember those really crappy slasher and blood spattered epics they used to package up in groups of 3 for the drive ins? Same thing with those awful generic karate flicks? But to tell you the truth, as bad as those were, when Tarantino reproduces one it's almost always sick, twisted, gory, chintzy and especially a lot of fun to watch.

DJANGO UNCHAINED is his salute to what they called blacksploitation flicks decades ago. Remember SHAFT? Remember MANDINGO? The hook in these is usually that white people suck and that the noble hero, as star Jamie Foxx quipped on Saturday Night Live, gets to kill a lot of white people.

In this film the only caucasian who isn't a truly rotten son of a bitch is bounty hunter Dr. King Shultz (Christoph Waltz.)

He's looking to collect the reward for the notorious Brittle brothers. Django is a slave on his way to be sold but who just happens to be one of a few people who actually know what the Brittle brothers look like.

Waltz purchases Django fair and square to be his assistant on this quest and promises that when it is complete he will have his freedom as a reward.

Well after the little brothers are blown to smithereens Django decides he enjoys the job and becomes a partner with a mission of his own.

He wants to find and rescue his wife who has been sold to some pretty nasty folks and waltz is happy to assist.

After many months of this bloody crusade she's found at the plantation called Candyland owned the elegantly vicious Leonardo DiCaprio.

The whole thing is bloody violent and even laugh out loud funny on occasion. It reminded me a little of a Sam Peckinpah version of Blazing Saddles.

I've heard complaints of gratuitous violence and over the top racism and those things are impossible to deny. No doubt had a similar film been made and the races reversed there would be hell to pay.

Probably only the chronically outraged and the faint of heart will really hate this. Then again they hate everything.

On the other hand it’s crap but it’s fun crap.

B

WSS

I agree with Bear COMPLETELY.................... It was pure crap and I had a blast. SOme great blood and guts. And thank god, no karate.......... teh fake, useless form of self defense.

Django was good, but Kill Bill Vol 1/2 still my fav Q.T films, and Ghoolie i've seen you post the stupidest shit ever in these forums, and you don't disappoint calling karate a useless form of self defense, at least go watch some UFC and inform yourself a little better to the matter before making such a statement.

Ghoolie is a closeted homosexual and mma reminds him uncomfortably of the hot male on male action he's desperately trying to deny himself.

Karate worked for chuck liddell and lyoto machida. I believe in its usefulness. It's not that useful if you have to fight Jon Jones, but still.

• 3 months later...

Typical QT . Gotta watch it multiple times to catch all the nuances. This guy throws ALOT at you from start to finish.

Christopher Waltz as Dr Shultz stole the show much like his performance in Inglorious Basterds. Cinematography was aces. Some

of the shoot outs were over the top. Enjoyed Samuel Jackson role as the house brother. Dining room scene had same level of

impending doom as did the sequence in the French bar of Inglorius. QT's extended cameo was not a good fit, IMO. He needs to

keep his Hitchcockesque appearances on the down low. Guess he is a frustrated actor who can't match his obvious director skills

Archived