THE BROWNS BOARD

Karma's A Bitch

The Gipper

Karma is a bitch.

Just last week on a thread I stated that The Broncos were always the recipient on the plus side of these "name plays" in NFL lore, like the Drive, The Fumble, The Tebow etc., and I said that it would be nice to see them be the team getting the pole up their ass some time soon.

Little did I know it would be that very weekend. Thirty seconds left, no time outs, the Ravens on their own thirty with little chance of hope of tying the game and the Flying Skunks throw a bomb that had only a prayers chance, yet it was answered when the Broncos DBs misplayed the ball and the Rats receiver (Smith?) hauled it down for a 70 yard TD pass.

A play for the ages...and even more unlikely than making a 98 yard drive with 5 minutes left, or having a guy fumble who was going in for the tieing TD, or having a guy break loose and scoring the winning TD in OT.

Nope, Karma punked the Broncos....and I for one am glad of it.

(though...don't get me wrong, I was glad to see the Broncos punk the Steelers last year...but the fact that it was the Ravens that were the beneficiary of this tempers my glee just a bit.)

So, forever after, it will be the Broncos who are the fuckees of The Rocky Mountain Rainbow, or The Purple Mountain Majesty....or whatever name they come up with. (those two I heard Chris Berman use)

Any suggestions on a name?

I'd have rather the Broncos won. Now I have to hope the Ravens...man it's just to hard to say...how about I can't stand Tom Brady and I don't want to see him in another Super Bowl. Sigh. Of the 4 teams left, I guess I want to see Atlanta take the Lombardi. At least hockey is back.

I hope the Ravens don't have a chance to lose on a heartbreaking play. Hope we call that game "The Blowout. "

Sorry, 1940 NFL Championship game: Bears 73 Redskins 0

Those 73 points are STILL the MOST points ever scored by an NFL team....in regular season or post season.

So, unless the Pats can trump that, that title is taken.

I'd have rather the Broncos won. Now I have to hope the Ravens...man it's just to hard to say...how about I can't stand Tom Brady and I don't want to see him in another Super Bowl. Sigh. Of the 4 teams left, I guess I want to see Atlanta take the Lombardi. At least hockey is back.

Don't care much about hockey- but as Gipper said, from a Browns perspective it was nice to see Denver come up on the short end of the stick on a miracle play with time running out in a playoff game.

Don't really dislike Brady, don't particularly like him or the Patriots either. But after his performance Sunday, I have to put him in consideration for greatest of all time, certainly ahead of Manning. Peyton choked with the chips down, Brady didn't, and tore up a pretty decent Texans defense. Most playoff wins, all-time. Other than Welker his wrs aren't anything to write home about either.

So unless the NFL decides to give "The Little Criminal" a Bus Bettis retirement Lombardi present (sorry if some of us Browns fans didn't like the officiating in that SB) I'm seeing a Patriots- 49ers SB and who know what happens there? San Fran should win- they have more firepower on both sides of the ball.

And regarding Atlanta, they should send Pete Carroll a bushel basket of roses for that dumb move. Yeah Pete- I can read lips, and you most definitely said "time out". When are NFL coaches going to figure out icing the kicker is a bad call- that's at least the third time in recent memory it's backfired big time.

Sorry, 1940 NFL Championship game: Bears 73 Redskins 0

Those 73 points are STILL the MOST points ever scored by an NFL team....in regular season or post season.

So, unless the Pats can trump that, that title is taken.

Depends how you want to define "blowout". Yes that game is the ultimate blowout, but I could settle for something less- like say 30 points or so. :)

Don't care much about hockey- but as Gipper said, from a Browns perspective it was nice to see Denver come up on the short end of the stick on a miracle play with time running out in a playoff game.

Don't really dislike Brady, don't particularly like him or the Patriots either. But after his performance Sunday, I have to put him in consideration for greatest of all time, certainly ahead of Manning. Peyton choked with the chips down, Brady didn't, and tore up a pretty decent Texans defense. Most playoff wins, all-time. Other than Welker his wrs aren't anything to write home about either.

So unless the NFL decides to give "The Little Criminal" a Bus Bettis retirement Lombardi present (sorry if some of us Browns fans didn't like the officiating in that SB) I'm seeing a Patriots- 49ers SB and who know what happens there? San Fran should win- they have more firepower on both sides of the ball.

And regarding Atlanta, they should send Pete Carroll a bushel basket of roses for that dumb move. Yeah Pete- I can read lips, and you most definitely said "time out". When are NFL coaches going to figure out icing the kicker is a bad call- that's at least the third time in recent memory it's backfired big time.

Pete Carroll wasn't mad about calling TO. He was mad that the kicker still went ahead and kicked the ball. The kicker got a practice kick, he called the TO way before they snapped the ball, but they went ahead and kicked it anyway. That's why he was mad.

"or having a guy fumble who was going in for the tieing TD"

If you are refering to Earnest Byner's fumble, you are wrong. He fumbled going in for the GO-AHEAD TD. The score was 38-33 at the time of the fumble.

If you are refering to Earnest Byner's fumble, you are wrong. He fumbled going in for the GO-AHEAD TD. The score was 38-33 at the time of the fumble.

No, he was going for the tie.

We got a safety afterward.

Zombo

No, he was going for the tie.

We got a safety afterward.

Zombo

I thouhgt the safety was before the fumble

I think "THE HEAVE" suits the Broncos well.

Karma is a bitch.

A play for the ages...and even more unlikely than making a 98 yard drive with 5 minutes left, >>

Gip, there was absolutely NOTHING unlikely about Elway engineering a 98 yard TYING DRIVE with a WHOPPING 5 minutes left.

I don't know. Making 98 yard drives with only a few minutes left is difficult under any circumstances. Remember that the Browns defense had fairly well controlled Elway that entire game up to that point.

But you are right....and you agree with me apparently, that making that 98 yard drive was far more likely than the Rats making that 70 yard bomb with 30 seconds left.

Please remember THE DRIVE DID NOT BEAT THE BROWNS. It only tied the game and sent it to overtime.

BERNIE AND MARTY......... Two pieces of shit, WON THE TOSS and got the ball first, AND in decent field position.

It was KOSAR who gave the game away to Denver because he didn't have the balls to challenge Denver's then exhausted D with downfield passes.

It was Kosars lack of balls that lost that game. THE DRIVE? It should be called............ THE BERNIE.

OK....and this "Guano from Heaven" play didn't lose the game for the Broncos either.

Hell, the Broncos had far more opportunities to make up for their blunder than the Browns had back in '86.

I was going to correct you, but I see that others have done so before me. Yea, that could have only tied the game.

Archived