THE BROWNS BOARD

A Question From England

Birmingham_villa

Hey guys wasn't sure where to post. Sorry if I am digging up the unwanted past amongst you Browns fans but I write concerning your old owner, Randy Lerner. I am aware the the man disgruntled the majority of Browns fans toward the end of his tenure and as a concerned Villa fan I fear he is also destroying our much loved club. Being an American who spends most of his time on your shore and also choosing to live a private life we know nothing about the man, and his CEO is a complete muppet. His unwillingness to invest much needed money and hiring the wrong hierarchy is pushing us towards relegation to the lower leagues and was just wondering what exactly it was that made him a hated man amongst the Browns fans? And what made him the entrepreneur he is today because surely he didn't get here through owning sports franchises??

Yours sincerely from Birmingham, England.

I'm not sure he was hated necessarily. He was very aloof, I'm not sure I ever heard him speak, and it was clear he was not a football (NFL) fan. To be fair though he spent a lot of money on people who SHOULD have been able to run a football team but inexplicably failed. I think that his weak ownership gave his employees the distinct impression they didn't have to try. While the cat's away the mice will play, and all that.

I'm surprised though, I always thought Randy's heart was in soccer over the NFL.

Sounds very similar to our situation to be honest and his lack of presence in England is concerning and now we are questioning wether his heart is in it anymore, he made too many weak appointments in terms of staff and yes, I have to agree, has also showed weak leadership by letting others run a free for all.

Thank you from the UK mr cysko

• 1 month later...

I think that now that Randy has divested himself of the Browns he may in fact spend more time and attention to his soccer team. The one thing that might keep his activitie primarily over here is the fact that I believe he still has a son in high school here in Cleveland, though I am not sure what grade he may be in. His son was playing football (not futbol) at St. Ignatius, though perhaps he graduates this year.

As he for he got his money? He got it the old fashioned way: he inherited it. His father, Al Lerner who died in 2002 was the founder of MBNA, which was a major credit card company that has since merged with either Citigroup or Chase.

By, FYI, Randy didn't seem to spend all that much time here either. He primarily lived in the Hamptons. (On Long Island east of NYC)

Archived