THE BROWNS BOARD

Zac Dysert?

kronkp

I'm going to say yes in but only in the 4th round or later. He broke Ben's career records at Miami, he has real NFL caliber talent, but having said that he is a developmental project and does have a bit of injury history. I am also a bit biased. My high school team played his (Ada) every year as our first scrimmage game so I've been aware of him for a while.

We've been talking about this in the pinned thread about the draft. Dysert has all the intangibles you'd love to have in a QB, his awareness in the pocket is great, he extends plays a la Roethlisberger, he has great touch on his passes, and he keeps his eyes downfield when flushed from the pocket.

His arm is stronger than McCoys's for sure, but it's not as strong as Weeden's. His problem lies in out routes, mostly to his back side. His best route is probably the seam bust to the tight end, he's proven to be proficient at dropping the ball in between the LB and Safety.

If he's there past the fourth, I say go for him. But I doubt he would be.

Watching this, plus some other tape on youtube I conclude:

PROS

Arm strength, Size, Athleticism, Ability to escape, Throwing on the run

CONS

Accuracy - nowhere near NFL level

Throwing motion - too long of a motion, slow release

Mistakes - throws interceptions and misses wide-open receivers

Vision - stares down receivers

Touch - no touch on short passes (ala. D.Anderson)

W-L Record - 14-20 in 4 yrs as the starter, with only 1 winning season...

He'd be worth a 5th round pick, at best. If we're picking a QB earlier, we should be able to get better.

PROS

CONS

He'd be worth a 5th round pick, at best. If we're picking a QB earlier, we should be able to get better.

Someone watching the Senior Bowl practices says he lacks an NFL arm. That's enough for me. We already have a noodle arm on the team, we don't need another.

Someone watching the Senior Bowl practices says he lacks an NFL arm. That's enough for me. We already have a noodle arm on the team, we don't need another.

You've quoted the same thing twice and then just alluded to it for the third time.

He's not McCoy. He's much closer to Weeden than he is McCoy.

The out route is the hardest throw to make for a QB. A 10 yard out to the far sideline can be a 35 yard throw.

He's got above average arm strength, scouts are just spoiled by RG3 and Luck as of late.

PROS

CONS

The only con I blatantly disagree with is touch. One of Dysert's best qualities is his control of the ball.

The only con I blatantly disagree with is touch. One of Dysert's best qualities is his control of the ball.

Could be. I watched every pass he threw in only 4 games in 2012, and highlights of the seasons before. I watched a couple balls thrown wayyy to hard, when a soft touch would have made a 1st down, or even TD on 2 occasions. I know it was a small sample size, but I was just weighing in.

And comments about his arm strength seem misplaced, again based on what I watched. I think it is more his throwing motion that makes it appear like he is under-throwing receivers. Just my opinion.

Still not all that interested in him...

You've quoted the same thing twice and then just alluded to it for the third time.

He's not McCoy. He's much closer to Weeden than he is McCoy.

The out route is the hardest throw to make for a QB. A 10 yard out to the far sideline can be a 35 yard throw.

He's got above average arm strength, scouts are just spoiled by RG3 and Luck as of late.

I've never seen him play so I have no first hand opinion. I'm just going by what I read from the senior bowl practices and if a guy who gets paid to scout players says he lacks a NFL arm strength, I'm going with that. From what Chud has said about the offense, he wants to throw it downfield a lot and that is going to require an NFL arm. It doesn't sound like this guy has it but I guess we'll see what he does at the combine as well.

Could be. I watched every pass he threw in only 4 games in 2012, and highlights of the seasons before. I watched a couple balls thrown wayyy to hard, when a soft touch would have made a 1st down, or even TD on 2 occasions. I know it was a small sample size, but I was just weighing in.

And comments about his arm strength seem misplaced, again based on what I watched. I think it is more his throwing motion that makes it appear like he is under-throwing receivers. Just my opinion.

It's not like MAC schools have top level coaches. When any of them amount to anything they bolt for BCS schools, and who can blame them. There isn't a whole lot of consistency in the lower levels of D1. I'm a Bowling Green Falcon fan and I see our HC Dave Clawson bolting for a BCS school next year, and he even got interviewed for Purdue this year and was said to be a top candidate. Coordinators are everywhere especially. Now I don't know how much consistency his coaching staff had in his 4 years of school, but I doubt he had the same HC, OC, and QB coach for all 4 years combined because that's how small schools are.

We will have 2 very good offensive minds in our organization, and I can say for the first time in a long time, I am fairly confident that they can develop just about any QB to be a capable starter. Not saying we should, or shouldn't draft him but I think with some good legit coaching he could turn out to be a very solid QB in this league.

EDIT: Someone mentioned hitting his TEs between LB and Safeties very well, and it seems like that would fit Chud's offensive plans as he loves to utilize the TE.

His throwing motion is longer than you'd want. He's not Tim Tebow, but he's no Dan Marino either. That is where a lot of the problem lies in his perceived lack of strength.

The biggest game for me is his performance against Ohio State. That's the highest caliber of talent he's faced in his career, and he seemed to play better than he did against teams like Toledo. He showcased a good amount of throws required in the NFL in that game.

I'm not a Redhawk fan by any means so watching his games has been really tough. They have such little skill on that team, it's like watching a high school team sometimes.

I've never seen him play so I have no first hand opinion. I'm just going by what I read from the senior bowl practices and if a guy who gets paid to scout players says he lacks a NFL arm strength, I'm going with that. From what Chud has said about the offense, he wants to throw it downfield a lot and that is going to require an NFL arm. It doesn't sound like this guy has it but I guess we'll see what he does at the combine as well.

He's had a bad senior bowl. So have all the QB's, for that matter. There's no RG3 or Andrew Luck in this year's draft by any means. As for fitting into Chud's offense, I think he would be a great fit. Dysert gets the ball down the field using intermediate routes more often than not. The question about his arm strength doesn't lie in his ability to throw the deep ball, it lies in his supposed inability to throw an out route. A lot of his problems lie in footwork. He was a shotgun back who rarely took snaps under center. Taking a 5 step drop is a lot different than flipping your hips and firing. I think with a good offseason of work, Dysert could surprise a team that is in a QB dilemma.

He's had a bad senior bowl. So have all the QB's, for that matter. There's no RG3 or Andrew Luck in this year's draft by any means. As for fitting into Chud's offense, I think he would be a great fit. Dysert gets the ball down the field using intermediate routes more often than not. The question about his arm strength doesn't lie in his ability to throw the deep ball, it lies in his supposed inability to throw an out route. A lot of his problems lie in footwork. He was a shotgun back who rarely took snaps under center. Taking a 5 step drop is a lot different than flipping your hips and firing. I think with a good offseason of work, Dysert could surprise a team that is in a QB dilemma.

they made the game hard to watch!!!

It's not like MAC schools have top level coaches. When any of them amount to anything they bolt for BCS schools, and who can blame them. There isn't a whole lot of consistency in the lower levels of D1. I'm a Bowling Green Falcon fan and I see our HC Dave Clawson bolting for a BCS school next year, and he even got interviewed for Purdue this year and was said to be a top candidate. Coordinators are everywhere especially. Now I don't know how much consistency his coaching staff had in his 4 years of school, but I doubt he had the same HC, OC, and QB coach for all 4 years combined because that's how small schools are.

We will have 2 very good offensive minds in our organization, and I can say for the first time in a long time, I am fairly confident that they can develop just about any QB to be a capable starter. Not saying we should, or shouldn't draft him but I think with some good legit coaching he could turn out to be a very solid QB in this league.

EDIT: Someone mentioned hitting his TEs between LB and Safeties very well, and it seems like that would fit Chud's offensive plans as he loves to utilize the TE.

alright i could be a little drunky wunky right now so i'm pretty confused about how to react to your post.

i'm a big mac fan myself. might get to see 1 or 2 games a year here in NY. what makes me question your point of your post is the comment of lack of good coaching in the MAC.

i mean BGSU, toledo, kent state, ohio u were freaking great games to watch from my POV. i really think that some of these guys (coaches) are gonna make it to the NFL ranks.

really surprised the browns didn't even take a look.

alright i could be a little drunky wunky right now so i'm pretty confused about how to react to your post.

i'm a big mac fan myself. might get to see 1 or 2 games a year here in NY. what makes me question your point of your post is the comment of lack of good coaching in the MAC.

i mean BGSU, toledo, kent state, ohio u were freaking great games to watch from my POV. i really think that some of these guys (coaches) are gonna make it to the NFL ranks.

really surprised the browns didn't even take a look.

I didnt mean they dont have good coaches, I meant that when they are recognized as a good coach they tend to bolt for greener pastures. So there isnt much continuity. I prolly worded funny.

If the Browns draft a QB it'll probably be Glennon from NC State since Chud worked with him last summer. Plus he seems to have a little more balls and willingness to throw than your typical dink and dunk checkdown master such as Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn and the aforementioned Dysert (who seemed to be going for the check down record in the Senior bowl)

If the Browns draft a QB it'll probably be Glennon from NC State since Chud worked with him last summer. Plus he seems to have a little more balls and willingness to throw than your typical dink and dunk checkdown master such as Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn and the aforementioned Dysert (who seemed to be going for the check down record in the Senior bowl)

Its certainly a possibility...but really....what improvement would this guy bring over BW3, besides age?

Archived