THE BROWNS BOARD

Super Bowl...and Beyond Trivia Round 3

The Gipper

Here is some more Super Bowl....and beyond trivia. I say beyond because some questions will relate back to pre Super Bowl ...and other...championships...so, be aware:

1. A. Which current Big Ten schools have produced Super Bowl winning Quarterbacks?

B. Which current Big Ten schools have produced Super Bowl losing Quarterbacks?

2. A. Which current SEC schools have produced Super Bowl winning Quarterbacks?

B. Which current SEC schools have produce Super Bowl losing Quarterbacks?

3. Of the 46 Super Bowls played, how many involved a faceoff of 2 current Hall of Fame Quarterbacks?

4. Who won this year's Grey Cup?

5. Including all Super Bowls/NFL/AFL/AAFC title games name those teams that have played in 10 or more title games.

6. What is the price of a 30 second commercial for SB XLVII (this year's)?

7. With the Super Bowl being held in New Orleans this year, that city will now tie Miami for hosting the most Super Bowls with 10 each. What city is third on that list?

8. What is the only previous Super Bowl matchup that is no longer possible in the current NFL?

9. Which team that never officially won an NFL championship has an NFL Championship Trophy on Display in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

10. Name the stadium that hosted the most Professional Football Championships in history.

11. Including the one above, name all of those stadiums that have hosted 5 or more Pro Football Championship games. Hint: there are 8

Here is some more Super Bowl....and beyond trivia. I say beyond because some questions will relate back to pre Super Bowl ...and other...championships...so, be aware:

1. A. Which current Big Ten schools have produced Super Bowl winning Quarterbacks?

Purdue (Griese),

Purdue (Griese),

Tennessee(Manning), Mississippi (Manning), Alabama (Namath)

3. Of the 46 Super Bowls played, how many involved a faceoff of 2 current Hall of Fame Quarterbacks?

Starr vs. Dawson, Griese vs. Staubach, Staubach vs. Bradshaw, Unitas vs. Namath, Bradshaw vs. Tarkenton, Aikman vs. Kelly, Stabler vs. Tarkenton,

Montreal Alouettes

5. Including all Super Bowls/NFL/AFL/AAFC title games name those teams that have played in 10 or more title games.

Browns, Bears, Packers

7. With the Super Bowl being held in New Orleans this year, that city will now tie Miami for hosting the most Super Bowls with 10 each. What city is third on that list?

Pasadena

8. What is the only previous Super Bowl matchup that is no longer possible in the current NFL?

Jets vs. Colts

9. Which team that never officially won an NFL championship has an NFL Championship Trophy on Display in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

10. Name the stadium that hosted the most Professional Football Championships in history.

Superdome

11. Including the one above, name all of those stadiums that have hosted 5 or more Pro Football Championship games. Hint: there are 8

Cleveland Stadium, Lambeau Field, Polo Grounds,

Just going for the low hanging fruit. Yes Griese from Purdue- but he missed Brees who also went there. :) And shame on anyone who doesn't remember Brady went to Meeechigan, yuk. Probably a couple more I missed.

Len Dawson played in the Big 10. I think that is it for the winners.

For the SEC add Kenny Stabler and Bart Starr.

Drew Breese played in the Big 10

Purdue (Griese),

Yes, but that is not all.

Purdue (Griese),

Yes, but that is not all.

Tennessee(Manning), Mississippi (Manning), Alabama (Namath)

These three are all the right answers (though you left off a few QBs)

Starr vs. Dawson, Griese vs. Staubach, Staubach vs. Bradshaw, Unitas vs. Namath, Bradshaw vs. Tarkenton, Aikman vs. Kelly, Stabler vs. Tarkenton,

I was looking for a number, though I appreciate the names.

FYI, I did not technically count Unitas vs. Namath because Unitas did not start, but did come in like at halftime...but I will hereafter recognize it. Also, Stabler is not in the HOF, so that one doesn't count. (You can make your argument for the Snake to be elected...and I will probably buy it, but so far the HOF election committee has not)

Montreal Alouettes

Check

Browns, Bears, Packers

These are correct, but they are not all.

Pasadena

I will accept that. Any combination of LA/Pasadena

Jets vs. Colts

Check

Superdome

NO

Cleveland Stadium, Lambeau Field, Polo Grounds,

I assume you mean Cleveland Municipal Stadium. So check there, and on Polo Grounds. Not on Lambeau

Collins PSU

Manning Tennesse, Grossman Florida, Tarkenton Georgia

Giants & 49ers

Collins PSU

That is one

Manning Tennesse, Grossman Florida, Tarkenton Georgia

These are all correct, but there is one other

Giants & 49ers

Giants is correct. 49ers is not.

10. Joe robbie/sunlife/proplayer...........It's been so many different names I can't keep track, but it's were the Dolphins play

Yea

at first I thought Soldier Field, but then I remembered the Bears moved to soldier field in the early 70's. So it had to be Wrigley

Interim report on trivia. Here are the unanswered questions:

1.B. Besides Purdue and Penn St., which Big Ten schools have produced losing SB QBs? Hint: 4 others

2.B. There is one other SEC school besides Georgia/Florida/Tennessee that produced a Super Bowl losing QB. What school.

3. How many of the 46 SBs matched up current HOF QBs. I am looking for the total number.

Several matchups have been mentioned, which is good. But how many games?

5. Besides the Packers/Browns/Giants/Bears, what other team has appeared in 10 championship games?

6. What is the price of a 30 second commercial for Sunday's SB game?

9. Which team that was not officially recognized as NFL Champion has an NFL Championship trophy on display at the PFHOF?

10. What stadium has hosted the most league championship games?

11. Besides Sun Life Stadium, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, The Polo grounds, and Wrigley Field, what other 3 stadiums have hosted at least 5 league championship games.

Interim report on trivia. Here are the unanswered questions:

1.B. Besides Purdue and Penn St., which Big Ten schools have produced losing SB QBs? Hint: 4 others

Tom Brady Michigan

"Champagne" Tony eason, Illinois

Vince Ferragamo Nebraska ... although they were not Big 10 then

2.B. There is one other SEC school besides Georgia/Florida/Tennessee that produced a Super Bowl losing QB. What school.

David Woodley, LSU

3. How many of the 46 SBs matched up current HOF QBs. I am looking for the total number.

5. Besides the Packers/Browns/Giants/Bears, what other team has appeared in 10 championship games?

Redskins

3 mil

9. Which team that was not officially recognized as NFL Champion has an NFL Championship trophy on display at the PFHOF?

Akron Pros

Lambeau

11. Besides Sun Life Stadium, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, The Polo grounds, and Wrigley Field, what other 3 stadiums have hosted at least 5 league championship games.

SuperDome

Orange Bowl

Tampa Stadium

[interim report on trivia. Here are the unanswered questions:

Tom Brady Michigan

"Champagne" Tony eason, Illinois

Vince Ferragamo Nebraska ... although they were not Big 10 then

Right...that is why I said "current" Big Ten. There is one other "current" Big Ten school. Very current.

David Woodley, LSU

Check

Check

Redskins

Check

3 mil

NO

Akron Pros

No, the Pros are officially recognized as the first NFL champs.

Lambeau

NO

SuperDome

Orange Bowl

Tampa Stadium

Superdome and Orange Bowl, yes. No to the Big Sombrero.

The vast majority have been answered correctly, so I will give the Final Answers:

Purdue: Dawson, Griese, Brees

Michigan: Brady

Purdue: Dawson, Griese

Michigan: Brady

Nebraska: Ferragamo

Illinois: Tony Eason

Penn St.: Kerry Collins

Maryland: Boomer Esiason and Neil O'Donnell (yea, MD is now a current BT member)

Michigan St: Earl Morrall

Alabama: Starr, Namath, Stabler

Tennessee: P. Manning

Ole Miss: Eli Manning

Georgia: Tarkenton

LSU: David Woodley

Florida: Rex Grossman

Tennessee: Peyton Manning

There have been 10 or 11. I will list them by year, not SB# (eff those Roman Numerals):

1966 Starr vs. Dawson

1968 Namath vs. Unitat (I originally did not include this one because Unitas did not start, but I am accepting it as the 11th matchup)

1971 Staubach vs. Griese

1973 Griese vs. Tarkenton

1974 Bradshaw vs. Tarkenton

1975 Bradshaw vs. Staubach

1978 Bradshaw vs. Staubach

1984 Montana vs. Marino

1989 Montana vs. Elway

1992 Aikman vs. Kelly

1993 Aikman vs. Kelly

The Toronto Argonauts

Giants: 19

Packers: 13

Browns: 13

Bears: 12

Redskins: 11

Four MILLION Dollars

LA/Pasadena has hosted 7. None since 1993. I know the NFL would love to get back there.

The Jets vs. Colts because of the Colts move into the AFC.

The Pottsville Maroons....their 1925 NFL title trophy, which was ripped away from them, is on dislplay in Canton.

That would be Cleveland Municipal Stadium with 8 Championship games held there:

1945 Rams vs. Redskins

1946 Browns vs. Yankees

1948 Browns vs. Bills

1949 Browns vs. 49ers

1950 Browns vs. Rams

1952 Browns vs. Lions

1954 Browns vs. Lions

1964 Browns vs. Colts

and the old stadium was very good to Cleveland teams: The Rams/Browns won every one of these games except the 1952 title game loss to the Lions

Cleveland Municipal Stadium 8; Louisiana Superdome 7 (including Sunday's), The Rose Bowl 5, The Orange Bowl 5, Sun Life/Joe Robbie 5, Wrigley Field 5, The Polo Grounds 5, The LA Coliseum 5.

Yankee Stadium hosted 4. No other stadium has had more than 3.

Additional notes on above trivia:

Q#3: Several past SB QB matchups could join the 10 games mentioned above including these matchups that have already occurred:

Elway vs. Favre

Brady vs. Warner

Brady vs. McNabb

Brady vs. Eli Manning

Brees vs. Payton Manning

Warner vs. Roethlisberger

Rodgers vs. Roethlisberger

The shakiest is probably #3. McNabb is a borderline Hall of Famer

Q#5. Here is the list of title game appearances by all current teams since 1933, including NFL titles/AFL/AAFC/Super Bowls (and includes the upcoming Niners/Ravens game:

Giants 19

Packers 13

Browns 13

Bears 12

Redskins 11

Patriots 8

Rams 8

Steelers 8

Cowboys 8

49ers 7

Colts 7

Eagles 6

Bills 6

Broncos 6

Lions 5

Dolphins 5

Raiders 5

Chargers 5

Vikings 4

Titans/Oilers 4

Chiefs 3

Cardinals 3

Bengals 2

Ravens 2

Jets 1

Falcons 1

Bucs 1

Panthers 1

Seahawks 1

Saints 1

Jaguars 0

Texans 0

I would say the rapist,at this point, is borderline HOFer. Plunkett won 2 Superbowls, and he's not in the HOF. Plunkett also won the Heisman and was the #1 pick in the draft.

The rapist will get in after another 5-10 years of playing, but if he retired or was forced to quit right now, he's no lock for the HOF

I would say the rapist,at this point, is borderline HOFer. Plunkett won 2 Superbowls, and he's not in the HOF. Plunkett also won the Heisman and was the #1 pick in the draft.

The rapist will get in after another 5-10 years of playing, but if he retired or was forced to quit right now, he's no lock for the HOF

No, agreed. No lock now. Though, every single QB that has appeared in 3 SBs that is eligible for the HOF has gotten in so far:

Elway/Bradshaw/Montana/Staubach/Kelly/Aikman/Griese.

The only others with 3 appearances are Kurt Warner and Tom Brady, both not eligible.

BR has been in 3 and won 2. Warner has been in 3 and lost 2...including that pivotal one when they both went down the field to score in the last couple of minutes that BR won.

So, if you had to compare BR and Warner....that single moment may give BR the edge.

Archived