THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Smith Release

dawg08

Give him what he wants.

Nobody will give him what he wants. He is walking from $8.5 mil. Bad career move. He seems butt hurt that he got benched but come on man you gotta throw the football to wide receivers in this business or you are just another dime-a-dozen dink and dunker.

Nobody will give him what he wants. He is walking from $8.5 mil. Bad career move. He seems butt hurt that he got benched but come on man you gotta throw the football to wide receivers in this business or you are just another dime-a-dozen dink and dunker.

He isn't going to be expecting the type of money he got paid this year. And the 49'ers are not going to keep when they would have to pay him as much as they already are.

Oh that Alex Smith, I thought we released our Tight End... disappointing.

Why would you want Alex Smith the TE to be released?

He's just a warm body in there. Nothing spectacular here, moving on...

You need guys like Alex Smith the Fb/te, he's a good football player.

Its like people that want to get rid of Cribbs. Why? He's a good football player.

We need a damn QB. Bring in the other Alex Smith and let him and Weeds duke it out.

Z

You need guys like Alex Smith the Fb/te, he's a good football player.

Its like people that want to get rid of Cribbs. Why? He's a good football player.

We need a damn QB. Bring in the other Alex Smith and let him and Weeds duke it out.

Z

We do need a damn quarterback. QB driven league. Bring in someone to challenge Weedens dumbass. As long as we do not draft one. If we do I will drive to Cleveland and kick dumbardi in the dick

Clearly we should release him so that Marcecic can start again, right? And, seeing as he is essentially our #2/3 TE, is he really meant to be more than a "warm body" at the TE position? He is listed as a FB on the roster, and with the offseason he'll be able to actually practice in the position and become formidable.

Kind of like Trent last year.

woah, woah, woah... Easy there big buddy, Trent was a beast last year, just wait until you see him run this year at 100%.

Did you see all those amazing grabs that he had? He'll keep getting better and keep in mind that he was stuck running Shurmur's offense... I'm excited to see what a REAL coach and coordinator can come up with for him. More screens and draws with a little FB action... We really need a FB like Vickers now.

Z

The only thing Alex Smith has going for him is he was once a #1 pick. He is picking up a lot of sympathy support with people feeling sorry for him for getting benched, but that isn't going to get him a job, just love from fans. His passer rating is inflated by their dominant running game and by the fact that he only threw to TEs and RBs. Its hard to be as ineffective in the red zone as he was when your running game is as good as theirs is. I thought Harbaugh was going to land Peyton last year, and it sounds like the only reason he didn't was because Peyton didn't want to play in the NFC against his brother. If the 9ers had Peyton they would have beat teams 35-17 instead of 19-17. The only intriguing thing about Smith is whether he might still be able to run the spread option in a place like Philly like he did for the Utes, which is why he was the #1 pick in the first place.

The only thing Alex Smith has going for him is he was once a #1 pick. He is picking up a lot of sympathy support with people feeling sorry for him for getting benched, but that isn't going to get him a job, just love from fans. His passer rating is inflated by their dominant running game and by the fact that he only threw to TEs and RBs. Its hard to be as ineffective in the red zone as he was when your running game is as good as theirs is. I thought Harbaugh was going to land Peyton last year, and it sounds like the only reason he didn't was because Peyton didn't want to play in the NFC against his brother. If the 9ers had Peyton they would have beat teams 35-17 instead of 19-17. The only intriguing thing about Smith is whether he might still be able to run the spread option in a place like Philly like he did for the Utes, which is why he was the #1 pick in the first place.

So, you are saying that you don't think Smith would be a good fit for the Browns and the "attack" style offense that Chud says he wants to play?

And are you saying that perhaps the Chris Kelly offense is similar to the Urban Meyer offense run when he and Smith were at Utah, and that Philly might be a much better landing spot for Smith?

So, you are saying that you don't think Smith would be a good fit for the Browns and the "attack" style offense that Chud says he wants to play?

And are you saying that perhaps the Chris Kelly offense is similar to the Urban Meyer offense run when he and Smith were at Utah, and that Philly might be a much better landing spot for Smith?

affirmative

Smith has improved each year, and can compete at the NFL level. The only problem with signing him in Cleveland would be that there would be no competetion between him and Weeden. If the Browns bring him in, he WILL be the starter b/c of the salary we would have to pay him. I'm just not sure he is that big of an upgrade that we toss BW to the side...

The last thing I want is a QB controversey. If we want Alex Smith, sign him and start him. If not, moving right along...

Colt is "THE GUY". End of Story, this is getting sad. Colt is OUR Franchise QB.

Colt is "THE GUY". End of Story, this is getting sad. Colt is OUR Franchise QB.

Not on this team. Not on a team wanting to have an attacking, throw the ball down field offense. Colt has a noodle arm and can't see over the offensive line, how does that translate into the kind of offense Chud and Norv are wanting to run?

Colt will be a great backup to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay next season.

“I think Norv and Chud have been very open that they like a lot of what Brandon [Weeden] does,” Haslam told reporters today in New Orleans. “But we’re going to have competition at that position. And I think competition makes us all better, and we'll see where that competition comes from.”

“They’re studying,” Haslam said. “I think we have a pretty good feel for what our needs are. They’re going to look at free agency, and they’re going to look at the draft. I think we’ll be selective in what we do in free agency, but if there’s some talent out there that matches our needs and it’s at the right dollar level, then I think we’ll probably make some moves. I don’t think you’ll see us make any big, splashy, high-priced moves because I think we’ve said all along we’re going to build through the draft.”

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/owner-jimmy-haslam-tells-reporters-browns-will-have-qb-competition-1.369744

Write it down: Browns will bring on Derek Anderson thru FA and Mike Glennon as a draft pick. Weeden stays as backup to DA. McCoy and Thaddeus are gone.

from Joe Thomas

“We haven’t talked specifics about offensive scheme,” Thomas said. “I know Chud’s a smart guy and he’s gonna maximize the abilities of the players we have. So if we have a guy back there who’s athletic like Cam Newton, he’ll probably incorporate some of the zone read stuff. But if we’ve got a guy like Derek Anderson, what he was the first couple years, we don’t want him running anywhere. So I think it’s gonna be more of a traditional offense. I’m sure he’ll tailor his offense to the personnel.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=11891

I wonder why Joe Thomas mentioned Derek Anderson and not Brandon Weeden or Alex Smith or Ryan Mallet or Michael Vick or Colt McCoy or Jamarcus Russell?

I wonder why Joe Thomas mentioned Derek Anderson and not Brandon Weeden or Alex Smith or Ryan Mallet or Michael Vick or Colt McCoy or Jamarcus Russell?

And he also said,

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen at quarterback,” Thomas said. “I know we’ve got a couple guys with a lot of starting experience and we’ve got one guy who’s got to start. So I don’t know what angle they’re gonna take at quarterback but I imagine there’ll be a competition and I’m excited to see who’s going to win.”

So spin it how you want...

Yes, He will. Colt will be on the team and be the STARTING QB.

In a straight forward QB competition Colt beats Weeden. The ONLY reason that Weeden beat out Colt is because of obvious factors.

1- Panic induced, wasted first round pick @ 29 years old and MUST play now. Everybody knows the Browns would have been better served by adding another first round Guard or Linebacker, and essentially blowing that gift wrapped first rounder cost the FO their jobs.

Yes, He will. Colt will be on the team and be the STARTING QB.

In a straight forward QB competition Colt beats Weeden. The ONLY reason that Weeden beat out Colt is because of obvious factors.

1- Panic induced, wasted first round pick @ 29 years old and MUST play now. Everybody knows the Browns would have been better served by adding another first round Guard or Linebacker, and essentially blowing that gift wrapped first rounder cost the FO their jobs.

Poe, the Browns have already said that are going to "bring in" competition for Weeden. Meaning ... that competition is not on the roster.

Colt does not fit Chud's offense. Charlie Frye lasted one half in it.

It's vertical. Big arm. No points for "moxie".

Zombo

Archived