THE BROWNS BOARD

Roger Goodell Had An Ask Me Anything On Reddit

ClevelandBigDawg

You know the bottom line with all this crap is simple, to me anyway. I'm all for doing little things to make the game safer, specifically for the millions of youth who play and never come close to the NFL. If the NFL wants to set the example on proper tackling and better equipment, I'm all for it. There's a part of me who actually understands why it should be a penalty to launch your head like a missile at a defenseless dude.

But the sad truth is that refs are being told by Goddell there's no room for discretion. We're seeing more and more each week QB's getting inadvertently tapped in the helmet by a Dlineman and getting 15 yard penalties. We're seeing guys make great, legal tackles but because their helmets made contact late or the guy's head snap back it's a penalty. Same case for when someone gets hit hard and is flat on the ground for second. Refs are throwing the flag even if there was no illegal contact because "safety issues". I think it's a travesty how it's a culture of every time someone gets hit hard or a QB gets sacked there's a "oh shit I hope there's not a flag coming" feeling. There's clearly room to make the game safer while still making it awesome to watch, but if the refs keep getting sucked into this throw the flag no matter what crap the game will go steadily downhill.

I will say however it's cool that he got on Reddit and did that though knowing the trolling nature of that website.

You know the bottom line with all this crap is simple, to me anyway. I'm all for doing little things to make the game safer, specifically for the millions of youth who play and never come close to the NFL. If the NFL wants to set the example on proper tackling and better equipment, I'm all for it. There's a part of me who actually understands why it should be a penalty to launch your head like a missile at a defenseless dude.

But the sad truth is that refs are being told by Goddell there's no room for discretion. We're seeing more and more each week QB's getting inadvertently tapped in the helmet by a Dlineman and getting 15 yard penalties. We're seeing guys make great, legal tackles but because their helmets made contact late or the guy's head snap back it's a penalty. Same case for when someone gets hit hard and is flat on the ground for second. Refs are throwing the flag even if there was no illegal contact because "safety issues". I think it's a travesty how it's a culture of every time someone gets hit hard or a QB gets sacked there's a "oh shit I hope there's not a flag coming" feeling. There's clearly room to make the game safer while still making it awesome to watch, but if the refs keep getting sucked into this throw the flag no matter what crap the game will go steadily downhill.

I will say however it's cool that he got on Reddit and did that though knowing the trolling nature of that website.

You hit the nail on the head. Great post. I agree completely... you complete me. :wub:

:lol:

He pussy farted around a lot of questions and didn't answer much, but it's hilarious seeing how much most fans dislike him.

He IS a lawyer. That's his job

Archived