THE BROWNS BOARD

Looking Ahead To Next Year

ClevelandBigDawg

Well, now that the football season is officially over, let's look ahead to next year.

Steelers looked to have taken a step back this past year. They are old, I know we've been saying it for a while now but I think it's beginning to show. They will likely lose Mike Wallace to FA as well.

Ravens coming off of a SuperBowl win, but they got some salary issues going into next year. They need to pay Flacco, but dont have the space, right now. Ray Lewis is gone, Ed Reed is likely gone, Matt Birk will probably be gone. Cary Williams is a FA. I've heard rumors saying for them to get in enough cap space for Flacco they might cut ties with Boldin and/or Jacoby Jones. They are potentially losing a ton.

Bengals should have most of their team back that I can think of, and will probably be an upgrade getting someone different for Rey Maualuga. Right now they are probably my pick as the division favorites.

Browns have most of their team back. We have a solid young core on offense in Richardson, Little, Gordon and the three OLmen in Mack, Thomas and Schwartz. Lauvuo looked to come on too. We have quite a bit of cap space to either extend some of our players and/or sign a big free agent, maybe two. We have a high draft pick in a very mediocre class but I think that the positions of need for us are pretty deep in the class and we could get at least 2 starters in the first 3 rounds (no trade back). Our big question will be the transformation of our defense.

The biggest thing is what the Ravens do IMO. If they get Flacco for less than what everyone seems to be expecting that would be great for them, but dont see it happening. Our time is coming Browns fans!

would you rather be a team that has to "dump" players because you are too good, or a team that has cap room and needs to ADD players?

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO BE THE TEAM????????????????????????//////

would you rather be a team that has to "dump" players because you are too good, or a team that has cap room and needs to ADD players?

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO BE THE TEAM????????????????????????//////

I would take winning the SuperBowl and having to get rid of players. That's not the point of this thread though. I'm just saying with how things are playing out we are in a good position for next year.

these threads are tough. i'm always on the fence. i WANT to be opptimistic but i also know reality. another year of just 'starting over' is never ever good.

how many times since '99 have we just kept flushing the toilet?

the only thing that gives me hope is the new ownership. haslam himself. i might not agree with his hire of banner and then his hires BUT it's gotta start somewhere. hopefully haslam sticks to his word and no matter how bad it gets he sticks with this staff. no more merry-go-round hires and fires.

yes we have MANY cornerstones to this team. the 3 OL you mentioned. TR, gordon and little. hopefully hardesty will come off a healthy season and be the change up back that we need. hopefully cameron jordan and watson will be the tes that our new OC expects them to be. haden, ward, sheard, rubin and taylor and DQ are fine. we need depth on D. bad.

i would pick D all the way next year.

but yes. we have a great shot at competing for 2nd place in our division next year.

can't wait. again.

Well let's look at the staff for a minute before we say "starting over" is terrible. I can understand the angst because the reset button is worn out.

HC- Chud

While this isn't a particular sexy hire I do like it for these few reasons. He's from Ohio and a Browns Fan. He's been here before and was responsible for our most productive season offensively since '99. Plus he did a decent job with Cam Newton and has had five years to develop as a coach. He's bringing the offense that most of you all have been screaming for.

OC- Norv Turner

I'm sure we can all agree that ol' Norv is a far better coordinator than a head coach. The two of these guys (Chud and Turner) have positive history with one another. It'll be interesting to see how they shape the offense over the next season and beyond.

DC- Horton

Don't know too much about this guy other than he put together a nasty defense in Arizona. Offense has been and will be the problem for Arizona so I like this hire as well.

Players and Personnel- Mike Lombardi

I completely forgot that he was on Belichick's staff when they were here. However, there's a good chance he can play a key role in putting together the next '94 Browns team. I know....I know...he drafted JaMarcus Russell and yes it was a nightmare. Mistakes will be made...just as Haslam has stated on numerous occasions. I would like to see what he has in mind.

To sum it all up I think these are some good hires that will put together a competitive team and winning team. Honestly the biggest problem with the Browns as a team recently is our inability to finish games. So that's where the focus really needs to be...getting this young group of guy to finish. The question is...will they do it on such a limited timetable granted by the fans.

ok its pretty simple take the Browns glasses off for 1 minute

Balt- Will be Defending Super Bowl Champs....Ray Lewis did nothing in the Super Bowl, Ed Reed had 1 pick that any other Safety in the NFL would have picked as well... Losing them 2 next year does nothing to this team!!!!! They will draft Defense, Defense, Defense in the Draft. Balt is the class of the AFC North

Pitt- They do need to find a Running back and keep Big Ben Healthy, there Defense was overrated, but still a very good Defense. They are not that old sorry... They would have made the playoffs if Big Ben did not get hurt... Pitt will be very solid again next year, they have been for over 10 years. Please stop with the old thing....

Cinn- They remind me A LOT of Balt of 2 years ago. Solid Defense, solid Offense, Flaco had a monster playoff run, ravens win Super Bowl. Can Dalton do the dame with Cinn?? Who knows, but they will send a lot of money this off season. They have made the playoffs 2 years in a row, they will not take a step back

Clev- We are what we are...WE might have another starting QB next year, we think we hasve a solid RB, we know we have a solid o-line, we think we have talent at WR, and we think we have a decent defense. What we did not have was coaching. I really do think coaching is huge in the NFL. We are the X=FACTOR in the AFC North. Everybody will predict was last again. We will see..

Go Postion by Postion in the North

QB- Ravens

WR- Cincy

TE- Pitt

RB- Ravens

Oline- Ravens

Dline- Clev

LBs- Pitt

Corners- Cincy

K- Cle

STs- Ravens

Coaching- Ravens

Why did they win the SuperBowl

Better QB, RB, Oline, Special Teams and most of all BETTER COACHING just in our division

Well let's look at the staff for a minute before we say "starting over" is terrible. I can understand the angst because the reset button is worn out.

The question is...will they do it on such a limited timetable granted by the fans.

didn't say they were bad hires. just can we stick with a staff longer than 3 years? fuck the fans. haslam needs to be thick skinned and stay the course when all of a sudden we have 2 more years of 5-11 and 6 and 10 and people are screaming for the coaches head.

I believe that the AFC North will be completely up for grabs between the 4 teams in the division.

Face it....the Ravens got on one of those legendary runs that teams get on, but which is totally unreflective of the true strength of that team.

Like last year's Giants, and the 2005 Steelers. They were not the best team, just the hottest team with the best streak of luck (can you say "Rocky Mountain Rainbow").

Just because they won this year doesn't mean they will repeat next year as the best AFC North team.

(Let's see....where did the Giants land in this year's playoff hunt? OUT completely)

The Flying Skunks won't be awful, they will just be on parity with the Browns/Bengals/Steelers.

Only you Gipper... could make me want to defend the freakin Ravens.

I think it's unfair to write the Ravens off as a team who just got hot at the right time. Let's give credit where credit is due - fact is they've probably been the best team in the AFC for the past two seasons and will be the favorites come next season as well.

Let's take off our Brown and Orange homer goggles for a second and look at this objectively.

The Ravens were one drop and a missed field goal away from going to the Super Bowl last season and won this year.

They started off 2012 pretty hot then went on a slump when the injuries on D piled up.

And as fate would have it they were clicking on all cylinders come playoff time.

They have successfully transitioned themselves from a defensive,ground and pound team to an offensive air it out offensive team. They've got one of the best coaches in the game and have been in the playoffs for what? the past 5 seasons..winning at least one game each year.

Flacco is hitting his prime as an established top 5 QB, Lewis and Reed will be gone but Suggs and Ngata are still there.

"He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them."

Only you Gipper... could make me want to defend the freakin Ravens.

I think it's unfair to write the Ravens off as a team who just got hot at the right time. Let's give credit where credit is due - fact is they've probably been the best team in the AFC for the past two seasons and will be the favorites come next season as well.

Let's take off our Brown and Orange homer goggles for a second and look at this objectively.

The Ravens were one drop and a missed field goal away from going to the Super Bowl last season and won this year.

They started off 2012 pretty hot then went on a slump when the injuries on D piled up.

And as fate would have it they were clicking on all cylinders come playoff time.

They have successfully transitioned themselves from a defensive,ground and pound team to an offensive air it out offensive team. They've got one of the best coaches in the game and have been in the playoffs for what? the past 5 seasons..winning at least one game each year.

Flacco is hitting his prime as an established top 5 QB, Lewis and Reed will be gone but Suggs and Ngata are still there.

"He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them."

Yes, and the Brown's basically played them evenly in both games this past year, and with a few breaks could have won both those games....and next year that team will be losing some serious leadership. So what you will about Ray Lewis, but he gets the support of his teammates. He and Ray Birk, and possibly Ed Reed will be gone.

And the Browns, I believe will be stronger, and will be able to play on a par with that team.

Rememeber, this is the same bunch that lost 4 of their last 5 before the playoffs started.

And remember, they cashed in on perhaps THE biggest prayer in the history of Professional football to beat the Broncos.

So, it goes both ways as far as luck is concerned.

Edit: oh, yeah, and the Browns next year hopefully won't have a complete amateur at the HC position.

Hard to say what lies ahead, because I'm not so sure our O-line is as good as we may think- they protect the QB well, but we stink at run blocking (or Shurmer's scheme sucked). Other tidbits that worry me..

We may have another QB (again)

We play the NFC North, far superior to the NFC East (we went 0-4 in 2012 vs NFC East). We play the AFC East, which is far superior to the AFC West we played this year (we went 3-1 vs. AFC West).

We (still) desperately need help at LB.

I love the Browns, & hope I'm wrong, but I see another rocky season.

Hard to say what lies ahead, because I'm not so sure our O-line is as good as we may think- they protect the QB well, but we stink at run blocking (or Shurmer's scheme sucked). Other tidbits that worry me..

That's a good point, our offensive line did well in pass blocking but they weren't too impressive in the run game.

It makes you wonder how much the WCO 3 step drop 5 yard pattern stuff contributed to that.

You would think Chud and Norv will be either playing a lot of shotgun or having 5-7 yard drops on pass plays to go vertical and we may be looking at our O-Line differently come next season.

ProFootballTalk's take on the Ravens upcoming Free Agency.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/super-bowl-champs-face-critical-free-agency-period/

They are already 5 mil over for next year. . . probably going to have to let most of their FAs walk and cut others. They aren't getting rid of Flacco, but it sure is going to be tough for them to repeat the way they were playing at the end of the year without most of those guys. Especially leaders like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis.

Next year could get interesting.

ProFootballTalk's take on the Ravens upcoming Free Agency.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/super-bowl-champs-face-critical-free-agency-period/

They are already 5 mil over for next year. . . probably going to have to let most of their FAs walk and cut others. They aren't getting rid of Flacco, but it sure is going to be tough for them to repeat the way they were playing at the end of the year without most of those guys. Especially leaders like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis.

Next year could get interesting.

Yes, I heard Bernie Kosar last night on the radio saying "Joe Flacco doesn't want to talk to me, because I am going to tell him what he doesn't want to hear: that for the good of the team he may not want to try to squeeze every last nickel out of his FA situation here if he wants to stay with the Ravens". In order for the Ravens to play Flacco the pound of flesh that he seems to want, they may have to literally gut their team....not even counting the removal of the Lewis/Birk/Reed salaries. As was mentioned, they may have to gut their WR corps....and parts of their defense...just to keep Flacco happy. Maybe even Ray Rice.

So, I guess Flacco may likely take the attitude: I got you the title, now pay me the max. One title may be good enough for me.

So, this may indeed be the biggest test for the Wizard of Oz. He may need his strongest magic to deal with this situation.

Like I said before....I see the Bengals/Browns/Steelers/Ravens all being on pretty even par next year

I was going to start a thread on this but to me the success/failure depends on the QB situation. What I'm really hoping to see is one of two things: Chud comes out on the first days of camp and says something like "Weeden is our guy. We have the playmakers out there and will build the offense to tailor his strengths". Frankly, I believe Weeden can be the guy if that's what the staff decides to do. This doesn't need to blow over into a crazy Weeden thread, but we can all agree that the coaching really inhibited possible potential from the guy. All I'm saying is I'm not going to think the season is lost if the staff feels he can be the guy and I definitely will trust Turner/Chud's opinion.

If they don't believe that, I'm hoping we're aggressive in drafting Nassib from Syracuse by moving up in the draft. The guy strikes me as the next Andy Dalton: he'll be available late first or early second but will turn out to be a fine prospect, at least IMO. It's plain as day you don't win in the NFL without a franchise QB. OR we can always re-sign Seneca Wallace! haha

didn't say they were bad hires. just can we stick with a staff longer than 3 years? fuck the fans. haslam needs to be thick skinned and stay the course when all of a sudden we have 2 more years of 5-11 and 6 and 10 and people are screaming for the coaches head.

Well all I'm saying is being under new ownership and a nice coaching staff should put the kibosh on marching on the stadium. I've been on here a while and the torches and pitch forks are at the ready. I think we can all agree that lack of continuity has been a huge inhibitor for this team. I'm really excited to see what this new staff brings to a young and contrary to popular opinion talented team. One thing is for certain with this team...you're getting 60 minutes of football from them; from kickoff to the last whistle. I think coaching is what has stunted the quarterback growth with no matter who it was. With this staff you should see a vast improvement in quarterback play. Another important thing to see is if we can calm down with the penalties. To sum it all up this will be a better team next year.

Looks like the Steelers are in trouble too. Probably going to have to release some players if they don't want to go through this year after year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/steelers-could-be-facing-another-purge-of-veterans/

No there not in trouble, they have pro bowl back ups at every position, even the guys they haven't even drafted yet are all-pro's.

How many years are star players going to play for less till they say fuck it pay me or im leaving. Then they will collectively wise up and leave in hoards. Every one of the dumb mofos that took a pay cut last year are motherfucking themselves right now. The window is slamming shut as we speak....

No there not in trouble, they have pro bowl back ups at every position, even the guys they haven't even drafted yet are all-pro's.

How many years are star players going to play for less till they say fuck it pay me or im leaving. Then they will collectively wise up and leave in hoards. Every one of the dumb mofos that took a pay cut last year are motherfucking themselves right now. The window is slamming shut as we speak....

I was thinking the same thing. At what point has enough been enough for these players?

Archived