THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency Goings On

darubes

By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

Double dipping: That’s what Carmen Policy called it. Definition: Raiding a valuable player from a division rival in free agency.

The Browns – now being operated exclusively by Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi, as owner Jimmy Haslam returns to running his first love, Pilot Flying J – are contemplating a two- or three-pronged double dip when free agency commences on March 12. Their $40 million-plus salary cap room makes them a playa in free agency.

Certainly, the Browns’ division rivals could provide them with needy players in free agency.

Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis would be perfect fits on the list of Browns’ needs. Cincinnati might offer two “little splash” buys – outside linebacker Manny Lawson and kicker Mike Nugent. But it is Baltimore – Super Bowl champion Baltimore – that presents the Browns with the most intriguing possibilities.

As the Browns transition to a hybrid (coach Rob Chudzinksi’s term) or multi-front (coordinator Ray Horton’s term) 3-4 defense, Baltimore linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe loom as obvious targets. And then there is Super Bowl MVP quarterback Joe Flacco.

These three Ravens free agents are inextricably linked. And Banner and Lombardi know it.

The Flacco factor: Like most Super Bowl champions, the Ravens have some tough salary cap decisions to make. They want to keep as much of their championship team intact, but the reality of the business is they can’t.

Flacco is at the center of their dilemma. The quarterback turned down a contract offer of about $16 million per year last season. Then he put together a flawless postseason and won the Ravens a Super Bowl. So the price went up.

Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, has said that Flacco deserves to be the league’s highest-paid player. That distinction is currently held by New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees ($20 million a year).

The Ravens can restrict Flacco’s ability to move by tagging him their franchise player. They can give him the non-exclusive franchise tag or the exclusive franchise tag. Neither is as preferable as a negotiated, multi-year deal. They have until March 4 to arrive at a deal – or the Ravens will have to play tag.

The non-exclusive tag comes at a cost of $14.6 million to the Ravens, but enables them to match any offer or receive two No. 1 draft picks if they don’t match. A QB-starved team such as the Browns could construct an offer that would be unpalatable to the Ravens, given their tight salary cap situation.

The exclusive tag means Flacco can’t negotiate with other teams, but it comes at a cost of $20 million to the Ravens. The collateral damage of the exclusive tag is that it would likely prevent the Ravens from keeping Kruger or Ellerbe or, more likely, both.

And this might be the real reason for the Browns to send out feelers to selected media that they would pursue Flacco in free agency.

The great debate: What would benefit the Browns more?

Giving up two No. 1s to the Ravens and signing Flacco to a $100 million-plus contract?

Or stealing Kruger, a 3-4 pass rush linebacker, and Ellerbe, Ray Lewis’ replacement in the middle of the Ravens’ defense, while keeping first-round picks in 2013 (No. 6 overall) and 2014?

The Ravens have to consider the same possibilities. If they fail to re-sign Flacco by March 4, they will have to decide which tag they give him – exclusive or non-exclusive.

In an appearance in Cleveland in May, Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome lamented his inability to draft and develop a franchise quarterback. Now that the Ravens finally have realized a return on their five-year investment in Flacco, it’s extremely doubtful they would allow him to leave.

However, the possibility of two Browns’ No. 1s and the ability to retain Kruger and Ellerbe might – might – cause Newsome to call the Browns’ bluff.

Would the Browns be wise to give up the farm for Flacco?

Flacco is 15 months younger than Brandon Weeden, boasts probably the strongest arm among NFL quarterbacks, has been indestructible despite not possessing the agility of Robert Griffin 3, has never missed a game in five seasons, and has consistently ascended on his NFL growth chart to the point of being the reigning Super Bowl MVP.

Flacco’s big arm and large stature fit like a glove in the Norv Turner-Rob Chudzinski offense. Further, Flacco would join an offensive line perhaps stronger than the one he’d leave behind in Baltimore, and have at his disposal a young running back in Trent Richardson and a decent set of receivers in Josh Gordon and Greg Little that could be further bolstered by the addition of Pittsburgh’s Wallace.

Banner and Lombardi probably see no negatives in forcing the issue on Flacco.

If Newsome doesn’t blink, the consolation to the Browns is a legitimate shot at Kruger and Ellerbe.

If Newsome does blink, Flacco could be the seventh Browns opening day starting QB in seven years and their 19th quarterback since 1999. One of those was Trent Dilfer, whom Newsome discarded following his last Super Bowl triumph in 2001.

Dilfer, who was 33 when he joined the Browns in 2005, was never in his dreams the QB that Flacco has become.

I don't think that they will let Flacco walk, but if we could ink him and Mike Wallace. That would give us a couple great downfield threats with him, Benjamin and Gordon, but we still would have Gordon and Little as big players that can go up and make a play as well. You would think that our 40 million dollar cap room would pretty much be depleted by signing them, but it would definitely sure up the the offense. I would think we still would be roughly 10 mil under, and could bring in a decent LB or CB if we wanted in that case.

On the flip side, we have to extend Mack and Haden before long and Rubin is a potential free agent as well I believe. We have to take care of our own guys as well. Could we get all of that done with the amount of cap space we have?

What is it in the back of my mind that tells me the Browns should not pull the plug on Flacco?

I think it is the fact that NO QB has ever won a SB with two different teams.

In fact...in the history of pro football post season play, only one...or two QBs have ever won championships with 2 different teams.

The one for sure is Tobin Rote, starting QB for the 1957 Detroit Lions and the 1963 AFL San Diego Chargers.

The only other possible player to be considered to be the QB of two championship teams in Norm Van Brocklin.

He was the starting QB for the Eagles in their 1960 NFL title game win. And he split duties with Bob Waterfield in the Rams 1951 championship win over the Browns. Though Waterfield threw more passes in that game, Van Brocklin threw for more yards and threw for the winning TD.

So? The question to be asked: Could Flacco become the ONLY QB in NFL history (if you ignore Rote's AFL title) to win a Championship as the starting QB with two different teams.

A few have tried: notably Kurt Warner, but none have succeeded.

What is it in the back of my mind that tells me the Browns should not pull the plug on Flacco?

I think it is the fact that NO QB has ever won a SB with two different teams.

In fact...in the history of pro football post season play, only one...or two QBs have ever won championships with 2 different teams.

The one for sure is Tobin Rote, starting QB for the 1957 Detroit Lions and the 1963 AFL San Diego Chargers.

The only other possible player to be considered to be the QB of two championship teams in Norm Van Brocklin.

He was the starting QB for the Eagles in their 1960 NFL title game win. And he split duties with Bob Waterfield in the Rams 1951 championship win over the Browns. Though Waterfield threw more passes in that game, Van Brocklin threw for more yards and threw for the winning TD.

So? The question to be asked: Could Flacco become the ONLY QB in NFL history (if you ignore Rote's AFL title) to win a Championship as the starting QB with two different teams.

A few have tried: notably Kurt Warner, but none have succeeded.

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree with you. But here's the counter argument. How many super bowl winning QB's have changed teams in their prime? Isn't Flacco like 28 years old? How many QB's have won a super bowl at age 28 and then switched teams at that same age? I'm guessing the answer is a pretty small number.

If they don't put the exclusive tag on him, I would certainly make the offer and see what happens.

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree with you. But here's the counter argument. How many super bowl winning QB's have changed teams in their prime? Isn't Flacco like 28 years old? How many QB's have won a super bowl at age 28 and then switched teams at that same age? I'm guessing the answer is a pretty small number.

If they don't put the exclusive tag on him, I would certainly make the offer and see what happens.

Good question...why don't you research the answer and tell us! When WAS the last time a SB winning QB changed teams in his prime?

Would Kurt Warner count?

Good question...why don't you research the answer and tell us! When WAS the last time a SB winning QB changed teams in his prime?

Would Kurt Warner count?

No time to do the research... I would say that Warner doesn't count because he looked finished in NY before having a resurection with the Cardinals.

seriously, you guys are out of your gord.

ravens will not let flacco walk. period. mike wallace is a bitch diva and i'm glad the steelers stuck it to him. just like we should. winning franchise: steelers, cuz they don't do dumb moves. losing franchise: browns cuz we would make an offer to one of those dopes you listed.

worry about the draft and lombardi hitting the button on some way off player that we don't need. then imagine them doing it on some FA and paying over the top money.

no way to build the team.

seriously, you guys are out of your gord.

ravens will not let flacco walk. period. mike wallace is a bitch diva and i'm glad the steelers stuck it to him. just like we should. winning franchise: steelers, cuz they don't do dumb moves. losing franchise: browns cuz we would make an offer to one of those dopes you listed.

worry about the draft and lombardi hitting the button on some way off player that we don't need. then imagine them doing it on some FA and paying over the top money.

no way to build the team.

Arent the steelers about to gut their roster because of ignoring cap space?

Doesn't that count as dumb moves?

Archived