THE BROWNS BOARD

Time To Part Ways With Colt

WRREBEL

I think it's obvious they don't think he is the guy.. If they are going to bring in another QB no need to keep him around. I think he is a solid back up and maybe even better than Weeden. Bring in another guy and let Colt go. He will be signed by the jets, cheifs, Cards or someone else looking for a back up.

He will never be a super star but isn't as aweful as other qb's who start now or are back ups.

http://www.cleveland.com/sportsnetwork/index.ssf/2013/02/could_colt_mccoy_become_cap_ca.html

Browns, Cavaliers and Indians.

Will Colt McCoy be in Cleveland next season? (John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer)

Cleveland Browns

Chris Pokorny over at Dawgs By Nature lists potential Browns cap causalities, which includes Colt McCoy.

"2. Colt McCoy, QB (8th Highest Cap Figure) - How many seasons does McCoy need to stick around as a backup? The Browns are reportedly interested in bringing in a free agent quarterback to compete with Brandon Weeden. It wasn't so bad for the Browns to keep McCoy last year, because his base salary was only $540,000. Entering the final year of his deal, clauses in his contract have increased his 2013 base salary to a whopping $2.325 million.

The good news? It would only cost $187,750 to cut him. That's not nearly as bad as the Seahawks' situation with Matt Flynn, where cutting him would cost Seattle $6 million this year. With McCoy's future with the team unlikely, it's time to let him go

Whatthefuckever. There is little if anything available out there that I think is any better than BW3 at the starting spot. And certainly there is little if anything out there that I think is better than McCoy at backup.

There might be something different that might fit the Chud/Norv offense better (like maybe a DA), but that doesn't mean they are inherently "better".

I agree, but we should try as much as possible to trade him before we cut him. Any team looking for a back up should be alright with trading a late round pick either this year or next for him. The problem with keeping him is that we are going to bring in another guy to compete and if worse comes to worse both Johnson and Lewis at least have the ability to run Chud's option read offense that he ran in Carolina in the event that Weeden goes down. While I'm sure he would prefer to stick with the vert passing attack, if Weeden goes down or the guy they bring in doesn't work out he can always switch to offense #2. McCoy is too injury prone to run such an offense.

Colt McCoy "IS" the Guy. He will show everybody what he can do with a coach that knows how to get the most out of his QBs. Colt will be very dangerous because he's quick and agile and can make plays with his feet. I can't remember how many times he's evaded would be tacklers and made plays on the run. He will be even more deadly because defenses can't just key in on him, they have to account for all the up and coming WRs and the Franchise Runningback. We could really use a couple great guards on the line and then we'd be set. I believe that Colt could come in and start and lead us to 10+ wins next season.

Colt hasn't had the opportunity to be successful yet. In his first season he was forced into starting(when he was supposed to be learning from the sidelines), then in his second year he was given a rotten deal when the only playmakers on the offense were Hillis' drama ass and Momass. We were down to our 4th runningback by the time Pashos gave up his 33rd QB pressure(what a turnstile)... Then just this last year ass Colt was about to light it up with some weapons and some time to develop under his belt he's stabbed in the back by his own coach... That was disappointing.

Well, this year there will be no excuses, Colt will show why he is our Franchise QB and win the Starting position. It will happen. And when it does... :unsure:

Colt McCoy "IS" the Guy. He will show everybody what he can do with a coach that knows how to get the most out of his QBs. Colt will be very dangerous because he's quick and agile and can make plays with his feet. I can't remember how many times he's evaded would be tacklers and made plays on the run. He will be even more deadly because defenses can't just key in on him, they have to account for all the up and coming WRs and the Franchise Runningback. We could really use a couple great guards on the line and then we'd be set. I believe that Colt could come in and start and lead us to 10+ wins next season.

Colt hasn't had the opportunity to be successful yet. In his first season he was forced into starting(when he was supposed to be learning from the sidelines), then in his second year he was given a rotten deal when the only playmakers on the offense were Hillis' drama ass and Momass. We were down to our 4th runningback by the time Pashos gave up his 33rd QB pressure(what a turnstile)... Then just this last year ass Colt was about to light it up with some weapons and some time to develop under his belt he's stabbed in the back by his own coach... That was disappointing.

Well, this year there will be no excuses, Colt will show why he is our Franchise QB and win the Starting position. It will happen. And when it does... :unsure:

Dude...let it go. Colt is done as a Browns QB. He has a noodle arm and doesn't fit the offense that Chud and Norv want to run. I think there's a better chance that Derek Anderson is the starting QB next season than Colt starting for this team next year.

Colt will look great in a Packers uniform backing up Aaron Rodgers and will have a very long and prosperous career.

Ill bet you a hotdog Colt isn't hear by training camp.

Ill bet you a hotdog Colt isn't hear by training camp.

You're on! I'll take that bet and raise you a milkshake! B)

You're on! I'll take that bet and raise you a milkshake! B)

Dude...let it go. Colt is done as a Browns QB. He has a noodle arm and doesn't fit the offense that Chud and Norv want to run. I think there's a better chance that Derek Anderson is the starting QB next season than Colt starting for this team next year.

Colt will look great in a Packers uniform backing up Aaron Rodgers and will have a very long and prosperous career.

Please re-read what Mark wrote. I'm not totally as convinced as he is that Colt is gonzo, but there's no way he starts. As Mark said, Chud runs a vertical offense- and Colt doesn't have the arm to make the throws.

So the question would be if the departed Shure-loss ran a dink and dunk offense, which would be perfectly suited to Colt, then why did the starting job just get handed to Weeden?

Furthermore, the football guru Jason J (who rarely posts here but has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know) basically said Colt is pretty worthless as a starter- move him off his spot, and he can't get any velocity or accuracy on his throws.

His cap hit may make him prohibitively expensive to keep around as a so so backup. Dang- I hate to agree with Lumburgh, but he's right about one thing- Bringing back DA at vet minimum, and cutting Colt is a cheaper option.

Dang- I hate to agree with Lumburgh, but he's right about one thing- Bringing back DA at vet minimum, and cutting Colt is a cheaper option.

agree with everything you said.

it's almost like an ugly even trade. we get rid of a smart weak-armed QB for a dumb-as-rocks strong armed QB. like in any biz it's all about the money.

Fuck DA he shit on cleveland, got his ass handed to him in primetime in arizona and fucking jokes around on the sideline when the team is getting fucking killed.

Then when he gets called out by the media for being a punk, he storms off like a fagot ass bitch... How dare you call me out for being a dick wad!

He isn't a competitor. There are plenty of less than mediocre Qb's that play with heart and guts and want to win that can fill a roster spot. DA does it for glimpses of black cock in the showers.

Such a waste of time talking about Pussy ass punk QB's anyways. Time to man up, and have higher expectations.

well it's either weeden man up this coming season and do ALOT better than last year or lombardi puts his sights on a so-called 'franchise' QB in next year's draft.

ain't no FA QB gonna come in here this year and save this team.

at least i don't see it.

well it's either weeden man up this coming season and do ALOT better than last year or lombardi puts his sights on a so-called 'franchise' QB in next year's draft.

ain't no FA QB gonna come in here this year and save this team.

at least i don't see it.

Agreed. I think we need to give our 1st round pick one more full season, especially in an offense that better suits his talents, before we completely give up on him. The only way I would agree with going to other way is if they absolutely fall in love with Smith and he is there for us at 6 or a QB they draft in the 3rd or 4th round absolutely astonishes the coaches in camp. I don't see either of those two possibilities happening though.

Agreed. I think we need to give our 1st round pick one more full season, especially in an offense that better suits his talents, before we completely give up on him. The only way I would agree with going to other way is if they absolutely fall in love with Smith and he is there for us at 6 or a QB they draft in the 3rd or 4th round absolutely astonishes the coaches in camp. I don't see either of those two possibilities happening though.

He should NEVER have been a 1st round pick... Never, ever, ever, ever...... SMH, 30 years old... SMH... :mad:

Archived