THE BROWNS BOARD

Bullet To The Head Review

Bullet To The Head

Okay okay, I admit it I love Stallone.

I also admit he's done a ton of crap movies, no question about it. I've made a conscious decision to forgive those as I understand the concept of parlaying fame into cash. Anyway ROCKY and PARADISE ALLEY are 2 of my favorite films so...

Another guy involved in this film is legendary director Walter Hill who directed, among other things, another of my favorites THE WARRIORS. (The original that is, not the turd of a remake.)

In this case it's pretty easy to figure out the deal for no other reason but for the previews, director and star.

It's a rough edged and violent buddy picture. Stallone is Jimmy Bobo, a hit man who, after completing an assignment (don't worry, the guys he kills are scum bags) finds out that he's been betrayed by his employer who has sent another assassin to kill him and his partner.

Well he only succeeds in killing his pal and now Sylvester Stallone is pissed off. And we know what happens when Sylvester Stallone is pissed off.

Meanwhile back at police headquarters, a Korean American cop (Kang Sung) is on assignment to bring down and especially nefarious bunch which just happened to be the guys who double crossed Jimmy.

So these two wind up as unlikely allies. Through the adventure their relationship revolves around the standard back and forth banter and of course killing a lot of thugs.

To be honest I'm a little bit torn in reviewing this flick. It actually moves along just fine, no dead spots, and there are plenty of bad guys to root against.

So my conundrum is that even though it's fun, there are a couple glitches that keep it from being top notch. Mainly, and I will let you judge for yourself, I didn't really like the ending. Not only the conclusion of the final fight scene but the epilogue. It didn't really ring true, at least to me. It's really not all that difficult to push buttons can a flick like this one, and no excuse for a veteran like Walter Hill to miss them.

Hence I was tempted to giveBULLET a B minus just for the entertainment factor but I just can't. These guys should have hit this out of the park so a triple is naturally a disappointment.

Plus the constant plugging of little known Bullet Bourbon wears thin quickly.

C+

WSS

Archived