THE BROWNS BOARD

Good Day To Die Hard Review

Good Day To Die Hard

20th century Fox

R 97 MIN

Well I am running long this issue so I guess there's no need to get in depth about this one. Apparently, since great minds think alike, the three biggest action adventure senior citizens have lined up like the planets this month. Stallone, Schwarzenegger and now Bruce Willis.

Sylvester and Arnold apparently decided not to put out a TERMINATOR or ROCKY XXXIII while Willis, who obviously doesn’t give a rats ass, has gone the quick money sequel route. Fair enough, I've liked the DIE HARD series pretty well and who knows? This could be the one to disprove the old adage that the higher the number the crappier the sequel.

Alas that's not the case at all.

As a matter of fact I think this might be the worst sequel since CADDYSHACK 2.

This time nobody even pretend that there's a set up. John McClane is on the firing range what a buddy comes in with some sort of international document. Apparently his son is in trouble somewhere in Russia. Oddly enough McLan is able to hop a plane and go directly to the spot in Moscow were junior is involved in some sort of military espionage that involves getting some secret documents and rescuing some random Russian bad guy.

Then there's a car chase that seems to take an hour and destroys half the cars in Moscow. Apparently the kid (the charisma challenged Jai Courtney) is CIA and the old man decides to help with the case. If you are familiar with the series his help is limited to killing a bunch of guys and blowing up a bunch of stuff.

Besides some silly intrigue that's about it. Oh and to punctuate the explosions McLean makes his trademark smart ass quips just about every 2.6 minutes. And he and the kid trade barbs about his lack of parenting skills.

Then, thankfully, it's over and that's the best part. I just couldn't force myself to give a damn about the bad guys, the bad guys who were chasing the bad guys or the good guys. I don't suppose you will either.

Worst of all I went to the Cinemark in North Canton and found the showing was on the giant digital XP screen. Oh it sucked just as badly but it was a lot bigger and cost a lot more money.

This is a true waste of time.

D+

WSS

Archived