THE BROWNS BOARD

Oscar Predictions 2013

Oscar 13

OK here’s my guesses at this early stage of the game. Remember it’s liable to change as the Oscars get closer but right now….

Best supporting actress goes to: Anne Hathaway for LES MISERABLES

Best supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones for LINCOLN, which was full of great performances. So was THE MASTER. Joaquin Phoenix will unfortunately be overlooked because the Juggernaut.

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for SILVER LINING PLAYBOOK, who has done a lot of really good work lately.

Best actor: A shoo in for Daniel Day Lewis as LINCOLN.

Best director: Spielberg in a near sweep with LINCOLN.

Best picture:

Barely a hair pushes ARGO past LINCOLN. I think the cast and Affleck are Hollywood favorites and the movie makes heroes out of studio guys.

I still think the tide could shift toward LUINCOLN as the big day approaches.

Place your bets.

WSS

Oscar 13

OK here’s my guesses at this early stage of the game. Remember it’s liable to change as the Oscars get closer but right now….

Best supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones for LINCOLN, which was full of great performances.

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for SILVER LINING PLAYBOOK, who has done a lot of really good work lately.

Best actor: A shoo in for Daniel Day Lewis as LINCOLN. Tough year for Joaquin Phoenix in THE MASTER who was great too.

Best picture:

Barely a hair pushes ARGO past LINCOLN. I think the cast and Affleck are Hollywood favorites and the movie makes heroes out of studio guys.

Place your bets.

WSS

I didn't even know Joaquin Phoenix started acting again ...

Zombo

Oscar 13

Best supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones for LINCOLN, which was full of great performances. So was THE MASTER. Joaquin Phoenix will unfortunately be overlooked because the Juggernaut.

Best picture:

Place your bets.

WSS

It would have been helpful to list the nominees.

Of the Best Picture crop, I have only seen Argo, Django, Lincoln, and Zero Dark Thirty.

I have not seen Life of Pi, Les Mis, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild or Silver Linings...so I don't know if any of those 5 stand out above the 4 I have seen.

But...I do agree of the few I saw Argo and Lincoln are neck and neck for the award.

For Best Actor I have seen D-Day, Joaquin Phoenix and Denzel Washington....but not Bradley Cooper or Hugh Jackman.

I would not say it is an absolute victory for D-Day....as the other 2 I saw did give great performances...nevertheless it should be an easy win for him.

I have only seen Jessica Chastain. I was less impressed by the movie, but she did do a fine job with her role.

Did not see Lawrence, Watts, Riva, or the little girl.

So I don't have a clue.

On the Supporting Actors I have see Arkin, Hoffman, Tommy Lee Jones, Waltz, but not DeNiro.

Unlike you, I would probably not go with Tommy Lee Jones. Though I love the guy I wouldn't pick him here.

I think maybe Phillip Seymour Hoffman did the best job with what I saw.

I do hear that DeNiro does have a fighting chance. I do want to see that movie.

On the Supporting Actress, I have only seen Amy Adams and Sally Field. Neither to me should take the cake.

I have not seen Ann Hathaway, Helen Hunt, or Jacki Weaver. I can only hope one of them has a stellar performance.

On Best Director, I have only seen Lincoln directed by Spielberg. I have not seen the movies by Ang Lee, Zeitlin, Russell, or Haneke.

What the hell. Give it to Spielberg. He probably should have won a few times that he didn't. So, even if this isn't his greatest film, give him this against what looks like a weaker field.

Oscar 13

Best picture:

Place your bets.

WSS

You went a little far in on Lincoln (missed on director and supporting actor), otherwise you were perfect.

Overall, I thought it was a great year for movies, but a pretty subpar Oscars show.

Zombo

Frankly I find it almost impossible to pay attention to the whole show.

It was a bad year for me. Usually I hit them all or miss 1 at most.

Waltz really surprised me and I really don't get the love for Ang Lee.

Actually the one I doubted was ARGO, I thought Lincoln could have snuck in there.....

Oh well.

Mel Kiper still has a job.

;)

WSS

Frankly I find it almost impossible to pay attention to the whole show.

It was a bad year for me. Usually I hit them all or miss 1 at most.

Waltz really surprised me and I really don't get the love for Ang Lee.

Actually the one I doubted was ARGO, I thought Lincoln could have snuck in there.....

Oh well.

Mel Kiper still has a job.

;)

WSS

[b]For me, the difficulty was that I had not seen all the movies or performances, so I could only choose from what I saw. In some cased I didn't like what I saw. I did pick Argo and D-Day....but for a while I thought "hell, Life of Pi could win Best Picture". It was getting all the love with the technical awards and Best Director.

I guess I will have to see it now...when it comes out on video.

My wife rented Beasts of the Southern Wild yesterday. Before Sunday I would have been all for seeing it. But after seeing the awards show I changed my mind and had little interest in it. I thought it was an African based movie from the title...but when they showed clips and it seemed like it was actually a ghetto movie, my interest waned. Plus, I think I had seen enough of the precocious child at the award ceremony.[/b]

Archived