THE BROWNS BOARD

The Most Over Paid Man In The Nfl

Erie Dawg

Roger Goodell's salary nearly tripled in 2011

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

February 15, 2013 4:30 pm ET

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell earned a cool $29.49 million in 2011. (US Presswire)

It definitely pays to be the boss. Just ask NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Goodell earned $29.49 million in compensation in 2011, nearly tripling his 2010 earnings of $11.6 million. Goodell's earnings became available through the league's tax return, which was expected to be filed on Friday. Goodell earned $9.89 million in 2009.

Most of Goodell's 2011 earnings came in the form of a $22.3-million bonus, his salary for 2011 was $3.12 million. It's not clear if Goodell's $3.12 million salary takes into account his $1 salary that he was purported to have earned during the NFL lockout.

In January 2011, Goodell sent a letter to NFL owners stating he would only accept a $1 salary during the lockout, which lasted from March 11, 2011 to July 25, 2011. Goodell's 2011 earnings includes all compensation from the league between April 1, 2011 until March 31, 2012.

Based on the huge jump in earnings, the owners seem to be rewarding Goodell for his work in 2011, which included a 10-year labor deal and a lucrative new television contract.

"The NFL is the most successful and best-managed sports league in the world," Falcons owner and Compensation Committee Chair Arthur Blank said in a statement. "This is in no small part due to Roger's leadership and the value he brings to the table in every facet of the sport and business of the league. His compensation reflects that."

Sports Business Daily points out that big bonuses could be the norm going forward as Goodell's future pay will be tied to his performance and not completely derived from a set salary.

Goodell's contract with the league was extended in January 2012 and now runs through March 2019.

Goodell's $29.49 million in earnings puts him well ahead of Jeff Pash, the next highest paid NFL executive. Pash, the league's General Counsel, earned $8.8 million in 2011 with $5.9 million of that coming through a bonus.

Goodell's 2011 compensation was first reported by Sports Business Daily.

The only commissioner that makes more than the highest paid player... It makes you wonder if the nfl owners and the nfl front office care more about the league or themselves. The players take the hardest beating on their bodies in all of the other major sports (yes maybe debatable)and get compensated the worst, and nothing is guaranteed.

The only commissioner that makes more than the highest paid player... It makes you wonder if the nfl owners and the nfl front office care more about the league or themselves. The players take the hardest beating on their bodies in all of the other major sports (yes maybe debatable)and get compensated the worst, and nothing is guaranteed.

ok, well in almost every company the President makes more than anyone else. I do not have a problem with this...

So you want the Cashier at Wal-Mart making more than the GM, or the Server at Chilis making more than the GM. How about Cashier at 7-evelen making more than the owner....

ok, well in almost every company the President makes more than anyone else. I do not have a problem with this...

So you want the Cashier at Wal-Mart making more than the GM, or the Server at Chilis making more than the GM. How about Cashier at 7-evelen making more than the owner....

I see your point but if the cashier/server isn't some smokin hot broad who is the only reason people are coming to spend money it doesn't really apply.

I see your point but if the cashier/server isn't some smokin hot broad who is the only reason people are coming to spend money it doesn't really apply.

Yes^^^

Tampa, What % of the population can do these public service jobs.

What % has elite athletic ability to make an nfl roster.

What % has the ability to be a commissioner? Keep in mind roger was a lawyer previously.

So you cant compare them as equals.

The guy gets a raise based on what exactly? Maybe he could give some of that huge raise to the nfl officals that he fucked over. As we all saw at the begining of the year they were highly appreciated. All the refs were looking for was an 8% pay increase, chump change compared to what this douche bag received.

he's the head of the biggest entertainment franchise on earth. sure he can be a dick. but given the fact that we only see 16 games a year as fans and the owners make what they make for that amount of time a year (not putting into account the money generated all year round through merchandising, promos etc.) he's probably making a fifth of what some low end owner of let's say the st. louis rams makes.

i never have a problem with people getting paid, unless of course they manage my money, lose it, and then get a raise.

Not a lot to say in February toolbox.

Exactly, that's why I thought I would post this.

But the relevance and issue would be who is going to always absorb these costs.

So maybe you will think of this when you buy a ticket or two for the game.

But hey the combine is 5 days away post who you want to see, I started a topic on free agency, with the couple hundred free agents you can't think of one you like?

The real dead time hasn't even started yet.... it is what you make of it.

Mik I have no problem with anyone getting paid either, but what justifies tripling his salary?

Who does more for the nfl Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or any of the other stars of the nfl or Godell?

The stars fill stadiums not over paid commissioners.

no in that aspect you are completely correct.

the worst example of such a thing is college athletics. kids gotta sell memorabilia to buy tattoos. it's a flippin joke.

btw, i don't mind talkin about anything nfl or browns. i'd rather be on here talking nonsense than watching the NBA, NHL or baseball (since the indians have gone to shit once again).

worst part of the year until the draft.

What's up everyone? New here but thought I'd stir up some conversation with something I recently discovered. What do you guys think? 9 billion a year and yet tax exempt?

You may not know it, but the National Football League is a nonprofit organization. It may seem absurd that a collection of teams that generated at least $9 billion in revenue last season would be given tax-exempt status, but the NFL is technically classified as a 501©6 organization. Here’s how the IRS describes 501©6 tax-exempt status:

Section 501©(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides for the exemption of business leagues, chambers of commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade and professional football leagues, which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-05/sports/31123203_1_tax-exempt-status-tax-exemptions-antitrust-exemption#ixzz2LG90BpjD'>http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-05/sports/31123203_1_tax-exempt-status-tax-exemptions-antitrust-exemption#ixzz2LG90BpjD

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-05/sports/31123203_1_tax-exempt-status-tax-exemptions-antitrust-exemption

What's up everyone? New here but thought I'd stir up some conversation with something I recently discovered. What do you guys think? 9 billion a year and yet tax exempt?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-05/sports/31123203_1_tax-exempt-status-tax-exemptions-antitrust-exemption

The League itself probably IS non-profit. All the profit goes to the leagues member teams, not the league itself. Each member team is a separate corporation.

That really is no different than any other association of businesses. The key to this league though is that it maintains strict control over its membership.

The League itself probably IS non-profit. All the profit goes to the leagues member teams, not the league itself. Each member team is a separate corporation.

That really is no different than any other association of businesses. The key to this league though is that it maintains strict control over its membership.

Of course. Doesn't make it any less mind blowing.

Seeing as the NFL runs our entertainment industry outside of Hollywood I find it hardly surprising that the NFL gets tax exempt status from that fact alone. Think about it. Because the NFL is a money maker everywhere, who in Congress would object to exempting the NFL from Federal taxation?

Archived