THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Cut Scott, Pace, Smith

Tim Couch Pulls Out

In an effort to get under the cap, the Jets cut LB Bart Scott, LB Calvin Pace, S Eric Smith and backup T Jason Smith.

Scott and Pace are both better than what we're fielding now, but each come with some conditions.

Bart Scott is going to want a large contract. He refused to take a pay cut to stay in NY, and his contract was in the vicinity of 5 yrs/$40 million. He'll likely want that same deal. He's still a very good linebacker, even at 32 years old, but he's not elite. With him and D'Qwell in the middle, however, we'd have two guys with noses for the ball.

Pace has had injury problems over the last few seasons but, when healthy, is a solid linebacker. Problem is that he's now older and coming off multiple injuries. He's good for about 5-7 sacks a season, but is a better against the run than the pass. He'll come cheap, but he may not be much of an upgrade.

Eric Smith is a physical, big hitting safety, similar to TJ Ward. He's not the ball hawking rover we need, I don't foresee us making an offer for him.

no no and no

I have always said lets spend on free agents. But Bart Scott has lost a stepped. The reason he was re cut and didn't restructure he wasnt a full time player for the Jets anymore.

Signing him would be like when the Cards signed joey Porter.

Lets spend out money, but spend it wisely. When was the last time an aging LB came in and helped a team? We are looking at one that wants a ton of money. If he was cheap i wouldn't mind as much. Still old and crusty. No thanks!

CANT WAIT!

no no and no

I have always said lets spend on free agents. But Bart Scott has lost a stepped. The reason he was re cut and didn't restructure he wasnt a full time player for the Jets anymore.

Signing him would be like when the Cards signed joey Porter.

Lets spend out money, but spend it wisely. When was the last time an aging LB came in and helped a team? We are looking at one that wants a ton of money. If he was cheap i wouldn't mind as much. Still old and crusty. No thanks!

CANT WAIT!

Sounds to me like you can wait...when it comes to Bart Scott.

Archived